Columns | How many collecting Illinois pensions have moved to other states, and how much did they take with them?
More than 71,000 former public employees collecting more than $2.4 billion in annual pension benefits no longer live in Illinois.
Crime | Father, 84, charged in slaying of son in Schaumburg homeAn 84-year-old Schaumburg man faces a charge of first-degree murder stemming from the fatal shooting Monday night in the home they shared, police announced this morning.
Education | 'It's not happy memories anymore': Mom still hurt over District 94's abrupt removal of memorial treeThe autumn blaze maple and plaque that stood outside West Chicago High School for 15 years were a memorial to Lee Ann Meiborg's daughter, Amanda, the Class of 2002 valedictorian who died a year later at age 19 from a rare form of cancer. The abrupt removal of the tree and plaque still hurts, she says.
News | Schakowsky, Casten join calls for Trump impeachmentSuburban members of Congress Rep. Jan Schakowsky and Rep. Sean Casten are joining a slowly growing group calling for impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump.
News | Gretchen Vapnar opposed Elgin domestic violence shelter in the '70s. Now it's named after her.The longtime executive director of the Community Crisis Center, Gretchen Vapnar, retires June 28. The center was renamed after her this month.
Lake County | Boil order lifted in Vernon Hills areaA boil order that affected more than 1,300 homes and businesses in the Vernon Hills and Mettawa areas has been lifted, allowing normal use of water by those impacted.
Kane County | Carpentersville man charged with attempted murder for firing on copsA 22-year-old man has been charged with two counts of attempted murder and other felonies after authorities said he opened fire Tuesday at Carpentersville police before being wounded himself.
Blackhawks | Chicago Blackhawks' Bowman confident draft will produce strong playerChicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman said he's pretty sure who he will select with the No. 3 pick of the NHL draft Friday night. Most believe it will be either dynamic center Alex Turcotte or defenseman Bowen Byram.
Transportation | IDOT project at Route 41 and Grand in Gurnee delayed until late 2020The massive intersection improvement project at Grand and Route 41 -- which was supposed to wrap this year -- has been delayed and won't be completed now until late 2020.
Business | California Pizza Kitchen closing downtown Arlington Heights locationCalifornia Pizza Kitchen will close its downtown Arlington Heights location Sunday, officials said.
Business | Mount Prospect business shuts down amid 'burnt cheese' odor complaintsAn animal feed manufacturer in Mount Prospect's Kensington Business Center has shut down its operation in response to complaints about offensive odors.
Crime | Chief: Investigation into Carpentersville officer-involved shooting just beginningOne day after a police-involved shooting that injured a man in Carpentersville, Chief Michael Kilbourne said the investigation is still in its infancy.
- 12:31 PMWoman whose dead babies were found in home cleared of murder
- 12:31 PMFiance of woman killed when Dallas crane fell recalls chaos
- 12:04 PMTrump suggests Iran's shootdown of drone was accidental
- 11:57 AMMother sperm whale and baby dead in fishing net off Italy
- 11:56 AMIran shoots down US surveillance drone, heightening tensions
More Suburban News Find your community
- WaukeganWaukegan man charged after trying to sell stolen items to original owner
- Cook CountyCook County predicts continued decline in budget deficit
- Des PlainesGurnee man accused of shooting two people in Maine Township
- BloomingdaleState's attorney: Bloomingdale officers justified in fatal shooting of Carol Stream man
- SchaumburgSchaumburg man died from multiple gunshot wounds
- Rolling MeadowsRunner-up in Rolling Meadows mayoral race wants a primary next time
- WheatonChristopher Zaruba recommended for vacant Wheaton City Council seat
- NapervilleNaperville begins transformation of last large open space into new park
- NapervilleNaperville seeking 'ample time' for recreational pot sales debate
- BarringtonBarrington manufacturer donates $1.3 million in gear, training to ECC
- ItascaItasca hotel eyed as future drug treatment facility
- ElginElgin man missing since Monday
- 11:20 AMFight the bite! West Nile virus season is here
- 11:19 AMSign up for Rosary's Summer Cheer Clinic
- 11:08 AMMundelein Hosts Groundbreaking Ceremony to Commence Construction on New Public Works and Engineering Complex
- 11:08 AMCLC adjunct sociology professor wins state Outstanding Faculty award
- 11:03 AMTroop 209 honors its newest Eagle Scout
- 10:04 AMMarklund Wasmond Center to host Summer Games
- 8:20 AMHunger Doesn't Take a Summer Vacation in Wheeling Township
- 12:55 AMSign up by July 26 for Summer Cheer Clinic
Through the Film Magnifier: Barry Manilow, Deadheads, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Connors, a fishing derby and more
Inside Daily Herald