Columns | Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy. Tet and My Lai. Amid turmoil, moon landing united a nation.
Amid a barrage of turbulent and violent events, Americans staggered into 1969 longing for something to brighten the mood and bring America together. Putting a man on the moon was the answer.
Columns | 'Space exploration is hard. We make it look easy,' says longtime NASA director from SchaumburgGrowing up in Schaumburg, Cathy Larson watched the moon landing and played with toys that supported science and technology. Now Catherine Koerner, she has a 25-year career with NASA that includes seven years as flight director for the Space Shuttle and International Space Station missions.
Crime | Child sex offenders living at Aurora shelter sue city over demand they moveChild sex offenders who live at Wayside Cross Ministries in Aurora are suing the city, saying its recent order for them to move out because they're too close to McCarty Park is illegal.
News | To former Barrington resident, famed astronaut 'was simply Uncle Neil'Mike Trude was about 12 years old, living at his childhood home in Barrington, when his uncle made history. "I remember it like it was yesterday," said Trude, who now lives in downstate Marion. "We watched it in the living room." "It" was the moment American astronaut Neil Armstrong became the first man to set foot on the moon.
Columns | Neither heat, rain, cold nor drought can stop local sweet corn cropThe record rains and cold caused so many delays, some feared that this would be the year of no sweet corn. But the folks at Wiltse's Farm Produce in Maple Park found some ways to have the summer treat available starting this weekend.
Lake County | Bicyclist, 63, struck by car early Saturday in Beach ParkA 63-year-old Waukegan man was seriously injured early Saturday when he was struck by a car while riding a bicycle in Beach Park, the Lake County sheriff's office said in a news release. The injuries didn't appear to be life threatening.
Crime | Wisconsin man charged with sexually abusing girl in Arlington HeightsA 43-year-old Wisconsin man was charged with sexually abusing a girl at her grandparents' house in Arlington Heights about 10 times since 2014, police said Friday.
Music | Everclear, 10,000 Maniacs, tribute to Elton John to play Schaumburg's SeptemberfestEverclear, 10,000 Maniacs and a tribute to Elton John will be the three headliner musical acts during Schaumburg's Septemberfest this Labor Day weekend.
Lake County | Beach Park man's bail raised to $3 million Saturday on murder chargesA Beach Park man charged with murder was ordered held on $3 million bail in Lake County bond court Saturday, officials said in a news release.
Blackhawks | Blackhawks' Boqvist looking sharp at campDefenseman Adam Boqvist put on quite a show during a Chicago Blackhawks development camp scrimmage at Fifth Third Arena on Friday.
Crime | Fast-growing web of doorbell cams raises privacy fearsAmerica's fast-growing web of doorbell cameras is being fueled in part by the support of cities and police departments whose officials see them as a tech ally in the fight against crime.
News | Bo Jackson's sports dome to put Bensenville 'on the map'Bo Jackson is the driving force behind a new sports dome coming to Bensenville as the village aims to make itself into an amateur sports destination.
- 12:59 PMIran says its seizure of British ship a 'reciprocal' move
- 12:50 PMThe Latest: Crowds flock to Apollo 11 anniversary events
- 12:49 PMThe Latest: Iran says Saudis release tanker after 2 ½ months
- 12:25 PMHot weather is intensifying hold on much of East, Central US
- 12:24 PMMueller's testimony poses risk for Trump, but also Democrats
More Suburban News Find your community
- PalatinePalatine leaders optimistic about potential for site of closed Holiday Inn Express
- CaryCary is turning a former gravel pit site into a park with a lake that will open this fall
- Lake CountyPolice: Son charged with murder after Beach Park man attacked with garden shears
- SchaumburgSchaumburg may accept donation to sculpture park
- Elk Grove VillagePlans for hotel on north side of Elk Grove Technology Park revealed
- MundeleinVernon Hills considers changes to senior bus service
- Lake ZurichAlpine Fest opens in Lake Zurich
- WarrenvilleWinfield man accused of head-butting Wheaton squad
- BusinessNew doggy day care coming to Arlington Heights
- PalatineNo one hurt in Palatine collision
- NewsDistrict 128 trustees to tour new Libertyville High swimming pool Monday
- AuroraPolice: Fugitive on Massachusetts' Most Wanted list arrested in Aurora
- 11:09 PMChristmas in July offers half-price Cocoa Crawl travel mug
- 10:51 PMAID's Fox Valley Crisis Line seeks volunteers
- 8:37 PMMarklund Hyde Center students raise and release monarch butterflies
- 2:10 PMEnjoy Storytime in Glen Ellyn park July 23
- 1:48 PMSign up by Aug. 5 for Field of Dreams 5K Race
- 10:52 AMJuly 22-25: Explore a new career at CLC Days
- 10:52 AMJuly 23: CLC to host author, Professor Hall Gardner for presentation on building world peace
- 10:52 AMWeber, Local Reps to Host Property Tax Seminar
Inside Daily Herald