DuPage County | Mom texted about 'unruly' kids before Elmhurst shooting
Jaime Jones did not leave a note detailing what drove her to shoot her two teenage sons multiple times Friday before setting fire to her Elmhurst-area home and fatally shooting herself, authorities said Monday. But investigators are examining the 43-year-old mother's other communications leading up to the slayings of Jason M. Harris, 16, and Nathan A. Harris, 19, and her own death.
Crime | Police: Woman sexually assaulted at Falcon Park in PalatinePalatine police are investigating a reported sexual assault Saturday in which a 19-year-old woman was able to fight off her attacker and was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
News | Families describe challenges from rising cost of insulinU.S. Rep. Lauren Underwood says rising insulin costs are putting diabetes patients in her district at risk. "The market's broken, and while we've taken steps in Congress this year to decrease prescription drug costs, we need to do so much more," she said Monday.
News | $25,000 Pickleball tournament coming to NapervilleA first-time tournament offering "big-time money" in the fast-growing sport of pickleball is kicking off Wednesday in Naperville.
News | Woman pulled from water in Round Lake Beach diesThe woman who was pulled from the water at Lake Front Park in Round Lake Beach on Saturday as died, authorities said.
Business | How Hoffman Estates might jump-start stalled developmentIntent on making vacant land west of The Arboretum of South Barrington shopping center viable for development, Hoffman Estates officials may create a new tax increment financing district there.
Crime | Arlington Heights woman pleads not guilty to killing her parentsThe 43-year-old woman charged with stabbing her parents to death last month in their Arlington Heights house entered a not guilty plea Monday in Rolling Meadows.
Transportation | FAA: No need for environmental study on O'Hare noise rotationThe Federal Aviation Administration on Monday said there's no need to prepare a new environmental study of an interim runway rotation meant to distribute nighttime jet noise at O'Hare International Airport.
Crime | Schaumburg 84-year-old pleads not guilty in son's shooting deathWilliam Karras, charged with the June shooting death of his son Nick Karras in Nick's Schaumburg home, pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder Monday in Rolling Meadows.
Crime | Arlington Heights businesses fined for selling booze to minorsSix Arlington Heights businesses were leveled fines totaling more than $5,000 on Monday for serving alcohol to minors during an annual undercover police department sting.
Politics | Secretary of state wants protection of undocumented immigrants made lawIllinois Secretary of State Jesse White is pursuing legislation to codify the office's long-held policy of not giving federal agencies full access to its database of driver's license photographs as a means to identify someone's legal status, a spokesman said Monday.
Kane County | Aurora man who blackmailed woman for sex in 2015 now arrested on gun, drug chargesA 22-year-old Aurora man who was prohibited from possessing a gun because of a previous felony conviction for blackmailing two women into sex now faces weapons charges after a traffic stop. Maxwell T. Melgar, of the 800 block of Lafayette Street, also was on probation for a methamphetamine possession case Thursday night when he was caught with a loaded 9 mm handgun in his car and 15 grams of Xanax, after a traffic stop in Aurora.
- 6:59 PMTrump abortion restrictions effective immediately
- 6:55 PMJudge recommends $14M award to neo-Nazi trolling victim
- 6:53 PMTrump tweets send stinging message to countless Americans
- 6:44 PM'Chatgate' scandal throws Puerto Rico governor into crisis
- 6:29 PMUS, Russian delegations to discuss arms control in Geneva
More Suburban News Find your community
- Hoffman EstatesMotorcylist dies after crash on I-90 near Hoffman Estates
- NapervilleNaperville looking at three different options with marijuana sales
- Lake ZurichWork on Life Time Fitness center in Lake Zurich under way
- Glendale HeightsGlendale Heights moves fireworks show to tonight
- Cook County26,500 Cook County seniors didn't reapply for property tax discounts
- Sleepy HollowAfter 47-year career, Sleepy Hollow police chief retiring today
- Naperville$25,000 Pickleball tournament coming to Naperville
- NapervilleHow Loaves & Fishes in Naperville grew from helping 8 families in 1984 to 4,650 last year
- NewsSt. James Theatre troupe marks 50th in Arlington Heights
- PoliticsProtesters line Arlington Heights road over migrant conditions near U.S.-Mexico border
- TransportationWhy were Metra riders on tracks? In Transit has the answer
- Lake CountyAs tollway ends Route 53 extension study, now the question: Do what with that Lake County land?
- 2:16 PMFamily Visitation Center in Mundelein ensures safe custody exchanges
- 2:10 PMTrinity's library mural welcomes students in 62 languages
- 2:02 PMAurora 20th annual 'Battle of the Big Butts' to showcase prep football linemen
- 10:26 AMNew Friends of the Highwood Library Group Presents Library Summer Book Sale
- 10:26 AMGlenview Greek Fest Is Back ---July 27 & 28
- 10:27 PMGlen Ellyn Woman's Club awards scholarships to Glenbard South and West grads
- 10:20 PMElgin police host 'Slushie With a Sergeant' event
- 9:05 PMYouth to demonstrate skills at 4-H shows at 2019 Kane County Fair
Inside Daily Herald