Cubs | Cubs deal Rizzo to Yanks, but he says Chicago will always be home
The Cubs rebuild hit a new level Thursday afternoon with news that Anthony Rizzo was traded to the New York Yankees for two prospects.
Special Report | 'We are very excited': Amid record earnings, Arlington Park owner offers no update on track's saleWhile Churchill Downs Inc. executives announced record earnings Thursday -- including at Rivers Casino in Des Plaines -- the process to sell the Arlington Park real estate continues, in an effort to "provide significant cash to reinvest in our business, to pursue strategic acquisitions, or to return to our shareholders," an official said on a quarterly earnings call.
Illinois | Illinois sees highest single-day vaccination total since JuneIllinois Department of Public Health records show 47,592 more doses of COVID-19 vaccine were administered over the past 24 hours, the most in a single day since late June.
Politics | Pritzker orders masks inside all state buildingsMasks now are required inside all state buildings, even for those who are vaccinated, Gov. J.B. Pritzker said Thursday.
News | Why the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District uses livestock as lawn mowersThe Metropolitan Water Reclamation District plant in Hanover Park has contracted herds of about 70 goats and sheep to aid in vegetation control instead of herbicides.
Transportation | Yet another truck strikes roof of Long Grove bridgeA truck became wedged under the roof of Long Grove's iconic covered bridge late Thursday afternoon, marking at least the 15th time the bridge has been damaged since it reopened last August after major repairs from a previous crash.
Business | 'It's delicious': Rainbow Cone truck sets up outside Wheeling's Superdawg Drive-InA truck from Chicago-based Rainbow Cone will serve ice cream in the parking lot of Wheeling's Superdawg Drive-In through Sunday.
News | Des Plaines to repeal opposite-sex clothing banCalling it a relic, Des Plaines officials are set to repeal a prohibition on wearing clothes designed for the opposite sex.
News | New police chiefs appointed in Libertyville and Lake VillaNew police chiefs in Libertyville and Lake Villa are department veterans who were promoted from within.
Crime | Carol Stream woman charged after Yellowstone bear encounterA Carol Stream woman faces criminal charges after she was captured on video being bluff charged by a grizzly bear while she was taking photos in Yellowstone National Park.
Music | Lollapalooza fans optimistic as 2021 festival kicks off amid COVID-19 precautionsThousands of fans streamed into Grant Park Thursday, marking the return of Lollapalooza after COVID-19 halted last year's iteration of the 30-year-old music festival.
Crime | Aurora woman convicted in Oswego crash that killed 5 teens enters work-release programAn Aurora woman convicted on charges of aggravated drunk driving and reckless homicide in a 2007 crash in Oswego that claimed the lives of five teenagers was released from state prison July 28 and placed in a work release program, the Kendall County State's Attorney's Office has confirmed.
- 3:06 AMCarl Levin, Michigan's longest-serving senator, dies at 87
- 3:02 AMHong Kong protester given 9-year term in 1st security case
- 2:31 AMUK Defense Ministry: Israel ship targeted in attack off Oman
- 2:21 AMAsian shares lower after Wall St rebound on US growth data
- 1:52 AMAir France-KLM reports huge Q2 loss, sees signs of recovery
More Suburban News Find your community
- MundeleinNearly hourlong police chase ends in wetland
- CarpentersvilleElgin man dies in early-morning Carpentersville shooting, police say
- Fox River GroveBoat crash victim identified as Fox River Grove man
- LombardNew Lombard public art mural pops up at Yorktown Center
- Hoffman EstatesHoffman Estates village hall to resume weekend hours
- Hanover ParkHanover Park car show raising money for summer youth programs
- SchaumburgDavid Bowie tribute and Great White to play Schaumburg's Septemberfest
- WheatonDog dies in Wheaton house fire Wednesday night
- East DundeeShop Dundee event highlights local stores in downtown East and West Dundee
- SchaumburgFormer CIA director, Army Gen. Petraeus to headline Judson event
- St. Charles36th Annual Scarecrow Fest slated for October in St. Charles
- Oak BrookMayslake Peabody Estate to reopen Aug. 4 with 'Capturing Nature' art exhibit
- 7:31 PMRockford University joins Common App for 2022-23 application season
- 6:50 PMCinnaholic opens Evanston location in celebration of pandemic recovery
- 6:45 PMLisle Lions Club names Educational Foundation scholarship winner
- 6:02 PMLiteracy DuPage student and tutor recognized by Secretary of State Jesse White
- 5:49 PMLocal Realtors beautify Naperville's Commissioners Park with pollinator plants
- 4:25 PMDretske solves Mystery
- 3:05 PMChicago Brass Quintet to perform noontime concert at Lords Park Aug. 2
- 1:35 PMEight schools join in Chicago Bears' Nike 11-on-11 event at Fenton High
Inside Daily Herald