Education | A lot of kids still aren't ready for kindergarten: What suburban districts are doing about it
A state report released Tuesday shows inequities persist in kindergarten readiness with roughly one in four Illinois children entering fully ready to learn, while the rest require additional support.
News | Huntley High state champions feeling the hometown love and now will lead a paradeHuntley High School's Red Raiders softball team has gotten much hometown love since returning with the state championship title earlier this month after a historic 1-0 victory in eight innings against St. Charles East.
Lake County | Leaf-burning could soon be an endangered practice in Lake CountyLeaf burning in unincorporated areas of Lake County may be headed to the trash pile.
Business | Officials upbeat Takeda site will not stay vacant longWhile Takeda Pharmaceuticals' decision to move its U.S. operations out of Deerfield by the end of the year will have an impact on Lake County's economy, local and county officials are upbeat that property won't sit idle for long.
Business | Aldi debuts two redesigned suburban storesAldi will hold ribbon cutting ceremonies at redesigned stores in Hoffman Estates and Prospect Heights.
Kane County | Police: Aurora man tried to kill girlfriend's mom with minivanA 20-year-old man has been arrested and charged with attempted murder and other felonies after Aurora police said he purposely struck his girlfriend's mother early Tuesday morning with a minivan. Jordi Nieto is next due in court on July 3 and faces six to 30 years in prison if convicted.
Kane County | Aurora woman now charged with murder after infant son diesA 23-year-old Aurora woman arrested last week on charges she critically injured her 6-month-old son is now charged with first-degree murder after he died Tuesday.
Transportation | Traffic alert: Rollover crash shuts down southbound Waukegan Road in DeerfieldSouthbound Waukegan Road in Deerfield has been closed temporarily due to a rollover crash, police said.
Cook County | County ordinance would remove ID requirement for transgender bathroom accessTransgender residents in Cook County soon would be able to use restrooms, dressing rooms and other facilities they choose, based on their gender identities, without having to show IDs, if the county board approves the change Thursday.
News | Elgin deputy chief leaving for ECC jobElgin will have a new deputy police chief after Al Young, the department's highest ranking black officer, retires Tuesday to take a job as a commander with Elgin Community College police.
DuPage County | Cronin's restructuring plan draws fire from criticsA move by DuPage County Board Chairman Dan Cronin to expand the roles of three key employees is drawing fire from some board members who say they weren't given enough information about the restructuring plan.
DuPage County | 30 months' probation for Marine who caused DUI crash near ElmhurstNot only was Marine Sgt. Chester Gordon asleep and traveling in the wrong direction on I-290 when his vehicle collided head-on with another car, injuring two women, but his blood alcohol level was .151 more than two hours after the crash. Nevertheless, outside of those few hours on Dec. 30, 2018, several fellow Marines and Gordon's sister testified Wednesday that Gordon was a father figure to his nieces and an "exemplary Marine."
Dining | Into craft beer? Schaumburg's new Global Brew Tap House worth checking outCan you really find happiness at a suburban strip mall? If you're a craft beer fan in the Schaumburg area, then, yes, you can at the new Global Brew Tap House. With 50 brews on tap and a grilled cheeses menu, how can you go wrong?
- 7:38 PMWant $25K to spruce up your building in the Dundee Crossings district? East Dundee offering grants
- 7:29 PMNew software glitch found in Boeing's troubled 737 Max jet
- 7:26 PMLatest sex accusation against Trump lands with a thud
- 7:23 PMImmigrant parents frantic over daughter in gov't custody
- 7:17 PMThe Latest: Dems to propose changes to Senate border bill
More Suburban News Find your community
- ElginArlington Heights woman headed back to prison after South Elgin car theft
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove police investigating death of 28-year-old woman
- BarringtonCash offered for tips to help investigation of vandalism directed at gay Barrington teen
- WaukeganWaukegan man accused of locking daughter in basement to be evaluated again for fitness to stand trial
- Hoffman EstatesGigi's Playhouse namesake Gigi Gianni nails national anthem at Wrigley Field
- AuroraMutual Ground gets ex-Aurora school building, for free, for offices
- DuPage CountyBerlin will seek third term as DuPage state's attorney
- NewsWoodland Intermediate welcomes new therapy dog
- AntiochAntioch woman identified as worker killed at Lake Forest construction site
- BartlettBartlett police arrest boy on armed robbery charge
- East DundeeWant $25K to spruce up your building in the Dundee Crossings district? East Dundee offering grants
- Elk Grove VillageBoz Scaggs cancels Elk Grove show for health reasons
- 6:08 PMEnjoy fiddle tunes, animal programs at Elgin Public Museum in July
- 3:56 PMCOD names Dilyss Gallyot 2018-2019 College-Wide Outstanding Faculty Member
- 2:34 PMAurora Central to stage Shakespeare-style show outdoors
- 2:21 PMTour gardens on McHenry County Master Gardeners walk
- 2:09 PMGuest speaker to lead special Vineyard Church service
- 2:08 PMEnjoy free concerts, fireworks in Carpentersville
- 2:08 PMKalapadma Dance Academy holds 25th anniversary show
- 2:03 PMAurora Methodists lend assistance to Oklahoma City charities
Through the Film Magnifier: Barry Manilow, Deadheads, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Connors, a fishing derby and more
Inside Daily Herald