News | 'It's beyond miraculous': World's largest steam locomotive, Big Boy No. 4014, coming to West Chicago
Union Pacific's historic Big Boy steam locomotive No. 4014 is rolling through the suburbs and stopping Friday afternoon in West Chicago. For train enthusiasts, many of whom never thought they'd see a Big Boy run again, "it's beyond miraculous."
News | Multithemed escape-room business to open in Hoffman EstatesHoffman Estates officials Monday unanimously approved a multithemed escape-room business in the basement of a four-story medical office building.
Transportation | Newest state laws: Added texting-and-driving penalties, limits on municipal term limitsGov. J.B. Pritzker surpassed 100 bills signed as he put his signature on more than 30 new laws last week. They included a measure to increase penalties on texting drivers who cause great bodily harm, another to allow certain recipients of food stamps to use them at state-contracted restaurants, and another putting a limit on municipal term limits.
Politics | Ives seeks 'more freedom' for 6th District in campaign to unseat CastenJeanne Ives challenged then-Gov. Bruce Rauner in a 2018 Republican primary and now is running for U.S. representative in the 6th District. She says the race is all about freedom from excessive government control.
News | Mundelein scaling back plans for pedestrian overpass at Metra stationConcerned about rising cost estimates, Mundelein officials are scaling back plans for a pedestrian overpass at the railroad tracks near the village's Metra station.
Business | Construction of second Huntley Jewel store set to begin this fallConstruction of a new Jewel-Osco store on the north side of Huntley is expected to begin this fall.
Bears | Why Chicago Bears GM Pace is excited about Leonard Floyd, Mitch TrubiskyIt was fascinating to hear the contrast from Chicago Bears general manager Ryan Pace on Sunday at team brass' annual pre-training camp news conference as he discussed arguably his two most important players not named Khalil Mack.
Kane County | Judge: Geneva man's anonymous racist, homophobic letters were 'vulgar' but not criminalCiting freedom of speech, a Kane County judge on Monday found a Geneva man who sent anonymous, racist, homophobic and harassing letters to people in a "What's Happening" Facebook group not guilty of misdemeanor disorderly conduct.
White Sox | Buehrle won't be celebrating 10-year anniversary of perfect gameMark Buehrle never sought out the spotlight during his 12 seasons pitching for the Chicago White Sox. The left-hander said he never even thinks about the perfect game he threw vs. Tampa Bay a decade ago.
Columns | Feder: Walter Flakus calls it a night at 101 WKQXWalter Flakus, assistant program director, music director and on-air host at WKQX 101.1-FM, is leaving the Cumulus Media alternative rock station to join KNDD in Seattle as assistant program director and afternoon host, Robert Feder writes.
Music | Wheeling's Haley Reinhart among additions to Ravinia lineupThe Ravinia Festival in Highland Park has gained and lost two different two-time Tony Award winning actresses.
Transportation | Good Samaritans rescue man on I-88 after pickup truck flips overA group of good Samaritans came to the rescue of a driver of a pickup truck that flipped over Monday morning on I-88 in Oak Brook.
More Suburban News Find your community
- GenevaFunding lined up for long-awaited East State widening in Geneva
- ElginElgin police chief: Many changes this year, more in progress after shooting
- BloomingdaleAuthorities investigating crash in Bloomingdale that leaves at least one injured
- ElginPolice: 2 Streamwood men arrested in Elgin after fleeing traffic stop
- WaukeganRinehart seeks Democratic nomination for Lake County state's attorney
- EducationA year into job, District 21 superintendent gets contract extension
- NapervilleNaperville family displaced by house fire
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect welcomes new library director
- Hoffman EstatesHow Harper's HOPE Giving Circle supports young women leaders
- Hanover ParkPolice searching for missing Hanover Park woman
- Elk Grove VillagePlans for hotel on north side of Elk Grove Technology Park revealed
- LibertyvilleLake County zoning panel considers updated rules for solar energy
- 10:58 PMWild Ones to take tours of two private gardens July 27
- 10:45 PM'Paris to Pittsburgh' film about creating change in your community
- 10:18 PMState Championship Chili Cook-Off returns to Batavia July 27
- 9:13 PMAurora retired teachers donate 120 handmade blankets to local nursing homes
- 9:04 PMNaperville Park District releases annual report and new podcast episode on finances
- 6:51 PMChicago area facing critical blood shortage
- 1:35 PMBravo Waukegan's music camp offers lessons, performances
- 11:33 AMLibrary program prepares kids for kindergarten
Inside Daily Herald