Special Report | Arlington Park doesn't apply for 2022 race dates
Arlington Park and its corporate owner Churchill Downs Inc. didn't apply for 2022 live horse racing dates by a Friday state deadline, dashing distant hopes of owners, trainers and fans that the iconic racetrack might return for a last lap.
Transportation | Can Long Grove find a way to keep drivers from hitting bridge cover?Long Grove's iconic covered bridge continues to be a magnet for truck drivers who try to drive across it even though their vehicles are too tall.
Cubs | Bryant, Baez, Kimbrel, Williams, Marisnick gone: Deadline Day = Demolition Day for CubsThe Cubs made another flurry of mind-blowing trades on Friday, sending Kris Bryant to San Francisco, Javy Baez to the Mets and Jake Marisnick to San Diego, and dealing Craig Kimbrel to the White Sox. And that's not all.
Cubs | Who are these guys? Here's a long list of the new CubsWhile sending away most of the team's most recognizable stars, the Cubs added 11 news players via trade this week. Here's a rundown of the new Cubs.
News | COVID-19 cases higher than a year ago, but hospitalizations, deaths downWhile Illinois is averaging slightly more new cases of COVID-19 this week than the state was during the same timeframe a year ago, Illinois Department of Public Health data shows hospitalizations and deaths are significantly less comparatively.
Sports | How local Olympians fared: Geneva's McDowell takes silver in triathlon mixed relayIn the very first Olympic triathlon mixed relay, the Americans, led by Kevin McDowell of Geneva, finished in second place for the silver medal.
News | Suburbanites in Olympic volleyball, track: Who'll be on TV on SaturdayHere is the Olympic TV schedule for Saturday for events that feature suburban athletes.
Business | Woodman's set for soft opening on Aug. 11 in BloomingdaleA new Woodman's Food Market in Bloomingdale is set to open in the coming weeks.
News | How an 'ambitious project' would re-imagine Willowbrook Wildlife CenterThe Forest Preserve District of DuPage County plans to build a new wildlife clinic and visitor center to help handle of the crush of animal admissions at Willowbrook, one of the few rehabilitation centers licensed to take in migratory birds in the Chicago area.
News | Dangerous 'forever chemicals' found in drinking waterMore than 100 drinking water systems across Illinois, including some in the Chicago area, have tested positive for measurable levels of harmful contaminants known as "forever chemicals" that are linked to cancer, liver damage, high blood pressure and other health threats.
McHenry County | $46 million Randall Road reconstruction in Algonquin, Lake in the Hills 90% completeAlgonquin and McHenry County officials announced this week that the $46 million rebuild of Randall Road is 90% complete. Delivery of supplies is threatening the finishing date for the final 10%.
News | An illness seen in songbirds around country lands in suburbs, and nobody knows what it is yetWildlife centers in Glen Ellyn and Sycamore admitted young blue jays with the symptoms of a mystery songbird illness. The Illinois Department of Natural Resources has not received any other reports of fledglings showing the signs of the ailment observed in other states, an agency spokesman said.
- 11:31 AMAgency: Trump is due $1M tax refund for Chicago skyscraper
- 11:08 AMMask guidance divides parents heading into new school year
- 10:04 AMEvacuations by sea as high temps fuel wildfires in Sicily
- 9:29 AMIndiana drivers holding cellphones face license penalties
- 9:26 AMBacon may disappear in California as pig rules take effect
More Suburban News Find your community
- WheelingGrab your milk -- Crumbl Cookies coming to Wheeling
- Des PlainesNew restaurant coming to downtown Des Plaines
- ElginElgin honors civil rights activist Ernie Broadnax
- SchaumburgNo one hurt in four-vehicle crash in Schaumburg
- NewsArlington Heights health center gets $3.2 million from Rescue Plan
- Lake CountyMasking required in Lake County government buildings
- Grayslake3-day 'Micro Fair' opens in Grayslake
- St. CharlesRichard Balla recommended to fill Ward 1 alderman vacancy in St. Charles
- BloomingdaleAngelo Caputo's Bloomingdale store to undergo $4 million in improvements
- Villa ParkVilla Park trustee appearing in community theater production of 'Macbeth'
- SchaumburgSchaumburg approves 3-year contract with fire captains
- EducationCrystal Lake-based Community High School District 155 making masks optional
- 1:26 AMTwo Kane County students tackle climate change in Exelon Foundation STEM Leadership Academy
- 1:08 AMCollege of DuPage STEM students gain vital experience at Argonne National Laboratory
- 1:02 AMJared Deane joins College of DuPage as new dean of nursing and health sciences
- 12:59 AMEllen Roberts named vice president for administrative affairs at College of DuPage
- 12:54 AMCollege of DuPage alumna works with Boys and Girls Club to show the transformational power of color
- 12:42 AMWayne Township to host Reuse/Recycle/Shred Event Aug. 7
- 11:05 PMAurora Public Art gallery reopens Aug. 6 with 'Accelerating Inspiration: Art from Fermilab'
- 10:46 PMWaubonsee Community College updates mask policy, incentivizes student vaccines, and hosts community vaccine clinics
Inside Daily Herald