Submitted by Elgin Area U46
Elgin School District U-46 will host a series of parent presentations in March and April to help parents become more engaged in their child's education.
The presentations will be offered from 6 to 7:15 p.m. on the third Tuesday in March and April and will cover the new Common Core State Standards and how they will improve college and career readiness, helpful tips for parent engagement, and information about services that U-46 provides for parents and students. The presentations are designed to provide parents with knowledge that will help them guide their students toward academic success as well as connect them to programs and resources offered by School District U-46.
Parent presentations are being held:
Tuesday, March 19, from 6 to 7:15 p.m.
• Parent Resources and Scream-Free Parenting, Century Oaks Elementary, 1235 Braeburn Dr., Elgin
• Common Core, Kimball Middle School, 451 North McLean, Elgin
• Parent Engagement, Boys & Girls Club, 355 Dundee Avenue, Elgin
Tuesday, April 16, from 6 to 7:15 p.m.
• Parent Engagement, Century Oaks Elementary, 1235 Braeburn Dr. Elgin
• Parent Resources and Scream-Free Parenting, Kimball Middle School, 451 North McLean, Elgin
• Common Core, Boys & Girls Club, 355 Dundee Avenue, Elgin
"Parents in our community don't always know what U-46 resources are available to them and we wanted to bring that information to them," said African-American Advisory Council Chair Velma Sept, one of the organizers of the Parent Presentations. "Whether it's encouraging parents to attend PTA conferences or teaching them about the new Common Core State Standards, we are working to help parents play an active role in their child's education."