Communities » South Elgin Area News
Fox Valley police reportsAustin D. Broome, 20, of Elgin, was charged Tuesday with criminal damage to property, court records show. Witnesses said Broome broke the rear windows of a car parked in the 400 block of Lawrence Avenue, a police report stated.Last Updated Oct 28, 2014 5:05 PM
South Elgin Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Vero Voce Young Performers Series presents “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”
- “Get Your Rear in Gear-Elgin” helps fund colon cancer screenings, education
- Artist reception Nov. 1 for “Famous Poses Through the Lens”
- Follow the progress of the 2015 Lincoln Funeral Train project
- Two weeks after historic Chicago stunt, Nik Wallena comes to St. Charles
- Get tickets now for Literacy Connection’s 30th anniversary celebration
- Have a safe and spooky Halloween with safety tips from Illinois Poison Center
- Join in “Harvest Game” with Elgin Woman’s Club
- ‘Skulloween 3’ fundraiser to aid Elgin Public Museum
- Kids learn about nature and stewardship in Mighty Acorns
Wayne Stayskal (right), retired Tribune Media editorial cartoonist, explains some of the finer points of his work to guests when Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community at 124 Windsor Park Drive in Carol Stream, hosted a retrospective exhibit of his syndicated work. About 75 people attended the artistís reception Aug. 20, including Stayskalís wife Helen (center) and son Bob (left). The show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Sept. 30.
To see a video interview and catch a glimpse of the engaging personality who humorously commentated on culture for more than 30 years visit www.WindsorParkIllinois.org/downloads-news. For details, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500. Shirley Mott
- Congratulations to team Jackpot (Strikers U-13) for winning the Kicks for Cancer 3v3 U-14 Tournament defeating Deadly Deceptions (Campton United U-13) in the final 7-5. Pictured back row: Coach Jim Corno Jr., Ryleigh Strubler, Brandon Knapp and Joe Corno. Front row: John McCaffrey, Brian Bartholomew and Matthew Gombar. Mike Gombar
60 Men Who Cook April 11 2014 at Kane County Fairgrounds
Lots of delicious food, festive atmosphere, cash bar and more-- Location is the Indoor Event Center at the Kane County Fairgrounds Doors Open at 5:30 pm, Chefs parade at 6 pm and food served at 6:15 pm-- -- Tickets are $35 per person ... or $40 at the door and includes all food at the event-- get advance tickets from any Geneva Rotarian or Geneva Chamber of Commerce--- Benefits Geneva Rotary, Geneva Lions, Geneva History Museum and Geneva Chamber of Commerce-- photo of Rotarian Bruce Weigel of Geneva www.genevarotary.org David Nelson
- Mrs Schwartz, Wendy Wessel & Erich Schwartz proudly displaying the plaque that the City of Elgin presented to them in honor of 60 years in business. Becky Fitzgerald
- Mama robin built her nest and has been raising her family in our patio. These hungry babies are nine days old. Denise Nalepka
- Carly Hudon with her teammates on the Varsity St. Charles North Star Golf Team for 2014 Season- So much support while Carly signing her Letter of Intent! What a great team they were! Great Girls! Andrea Hudon
- Barrington High School Gymnast, Danny Schnura places 1st in All-Around at Friday's Freshman Invitational in Hinsdale. Eleven schools competed and Barrington High School finished 4th for overall team. Go Broncos! T. Lauderdale
Many of the veterans shown who reside at Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community in Carol Stream, will have their service photo and other memorabilia on display in the community's Centrum beginning Friday, Nov. 8. Intended to honor all veterans, the show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Nov. 15. Windsor Park is located at 124 Windsor Park Drive. Captain Richard Blackburn, first row center, holds a book of his memoirs. He received the French Legion of Honor for valor in one of the main campaigns during WW II in France. Visitors can also view a world map with pushpins designating where each veteran served. Windsor Park residents plan this display each year. Those involved in 2013 are Harman Barnard, Ray Smith, Charlie Ochs, Ralph Weldon, Bill Anderson, Stan Johnson, and Herb Clausen.
For more information, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500.
Those pictured (left to right) are:
First row: John Weber, Henry Nelson, Jim McLuskie, Roy Comstock, Clarence Aronson, Eunice Blackburn, Richard Blackburn, Ray Smith, Matt Leonard, Warren Larson, Eugene Young, Donald White, Robert Baptista.
Second row: Bob Muzzy, Howard Headley, Reg Gerig, Len Buck, Dick Rung, Robert Fox, Check Lewis, Clayton Barker, Howard Morey, Wallace Alcorn, Charles Ochs, Stan Yohe, Edward Ayers, Dick Gerig, Jason Johnson, Wayne Cook.
Third row: Bob Doenges, Bill Anderson, David Blomberg, Jim Carr, Bill Taetzsch, Ralph Welton, Stan Johnson, Glenn Heck, George Saunders. Jim Steere
- St. Charles East girls tennis team participate in a fundraising carwash for the Northern Illinois Foodbank. Mary Lou Spoerl
- Jamie Youngberg and Emmy Russell with Emmy's dog, Magenta, ask for tips at a recent St. Charles East girls tennis team car wash fundraiser for Northern Illinois Foodbank. Mary Lou Spoerl
- Both the St. Charles North Varsity and Junior Varsity drill teams competed at the Team Dance Illinois State Championship on March 3rd, 2013 at the Civic Center in Peoria and took home 1st place in the Lyrical category for both the Varsity and JV teams. Scott Artman
- This is the 14th year, St.Charles North HS Drill team has taken won a state title in dance. Lori Beaulieu
- Mike Dalbke far left, Rob Burke second to the left, Sean Fitzsimmons second to the right, and Josh Palkin far right all rock out at Riverfest's Battle Of The Bands on August 17th, 2013. Suburban Story covered songs like 99 Red Balloons by Nena, Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne, Saturday by Fall Out Boy, and a few other songs as well. The band rocked to the best of their ability, winning a few new fans in the process. Sierra Schumacher
- Mens race on Sunday at Tour of Elk Grove Eal life Imagery
- Gifted teen musician, Lauren Conroy, of Barrington, practices for her recital at St. Catherine of Siena. Lauren is presenting a recital along with organist Maurice Martin on Thursay, March 21 at noon. Lauren is also a gifted violinist and will perform on both instruments. The recital is the last of 11 precital given in the area as part of the Phyllis A. Lange-Connelly Lenten Recital Series. Admission is free. Phyllis A. Lange-Connelly Recital Series
- Woman racing in Tour of Elk Grove Sunday races Real Life Imagery
- The St Charles AM Rotary Club hosted the Feb. 11 2014 meeting which included the Batavia and Geneva clubs. Program was by Peg Coker of Literacy Volunteers Fox Valley- http://www.lvfv.org/ this organization provides English language tutoring and classes to men and women in the Fox Valley - they are based at the St Charles IL library- volunteer tutors are needed. Rotary members pitched in by donating office supplies to Literacy Volunteers Fox Valley at the meeting. photo l to r - David Nelson Geneva Rotary, Peg Coker LVFV, Gordon Hard Geneva Rotary and Rob Gephart president St Charles AM Rotary David Nelson
- Troop 13?s newest Eagle Scout stands with a few of the current Eagles Scouts in Bethlehem Lutheran Church?s Boy Scout Troop 13. Janis Kwasniewski
Congratulations to the World Class Basketball 17U team on taking 2nd place in the AAU National Championships in Orlando, Florida. WCBA went 6 wins and 1 loss and consists of players from Conant, Larkin, Huntley and Hampshire.
Pictured in front row are: Taylor Boley, Joey Ranallo & D'Angelo McBride
Back Row: Head Coach Dan Krauser, Danny Sotos, Zach Gorney, Ryan Blaha, Ryan Cork and Assistant Coach Rick Cork Dan Krauser
Elena Ferrarin Staff Writer
John Radtke Assistant Sports Editor/Fox Valley Sports and Online Prep Sports Manager
Mike Smith Fox Valley Editor
Susan Klovstad Community News Editor
More South Elgin News
- South Elgin Business
- Hear CEO’s own story of leadership at chamber luncheon
- South Elgin Entertainment
- Rock out, zombie style, at Elgin's Nightmare on Chicago Street
- How bad will our winter be? A caterpillar can tell you.
- Dundee Township Rotary to throw special Halloween party
- With uncertain weather, what to do inside or out
- South Elgin Discussion
- Ebola allowed to spiral out of control
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Bartlett High School
- 701 Schick Rd.
Bartlett, Il 60103
- Dark Green/Navy Blue/White
- Elgin High School
- 1200 Maroon Dr.
Elgin, Il 60120-8197
- South Elgin High School
- 760 E. Main St.
South Elgin, Il 60177
- Red, Navy, Silver
- St. Charles North High School
- 255 Red Gate Road
St. Charles, Il 60175
- North Stars
- Royal Blue/Black
Daily Herald Communities
- Where Tradition Meets the Future
- 41.992283, -88.307858
- Kane County