Communities » South Elgin Area News
South Elgin run aims to help seniors feed their petsTaking care of a cat and two dogs while on a fixed income is no small feat, which is why Wasyli Kucharenko says he’s especially grateful for the annual "RunFurShelter in South Elgin. “I would never got the pets if I couldn’t afford them,” said Kucharenko, of Elgin, a member of the Salvation Army Golden Diners program. “But this helps me out a lot.”Last Updated May 22, 2015 12:11 AM
Meet the electrical engineer who powers his passion in South ElginUpdated May 18, 2015 11:24 AM
Jim Pechous has a passion for electronics and trains, and the two sometimes collide near a South Elgin cornfield. That's where Pechous, the electrical genius behind the Valley Model Railroad Club, fuels his passion by designing and maintaining a complex power system for the club's HO gauge model train layouts.
A Vietnam nurse remembers: Elgin veteran to speak at Memorial Day servicePosted May 21, 2015 1:00 AM
As one of about only 7000 women who served in Vietnam during the war — the great majority who were nurses like her — Lorraine Darr of Elgin finds herself in rather elite company.
Where to find suburban Memorial Day festsUpdated May 20, 2015 3:32 PM
Memorial Day weekend ushers in the unofficial start of summer with ceremonies across the suburbs honoring those who have served our country, parades, and fests with food and music.
- More community news
- Carpenterville settles lawsuit over birthday party arrests
South Elgin Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Illinois State Police to strictly enforce speeding, DUI, seatbelt, distracted driving over Memorial Day weekend
- ‘Trash to Treasures’ rummage sale opens June 4-6 at St. Peter’s
- Advocate Sherman to host blood drive June 19
- Side Street Studio Arts sets second annual Battle of the Bands
- Lake County 4-H Sailing Spin Club
- Spend some of this summer with 4-H in the suburbs
- Rules of the Road course offered June 3 in Elgin
- See 2013 documentary ‘Honor Diaries’ May 21 in Geneva
- Sherman among nation’s high performing hospitals for heart failure, COPD
- Habitat kicks off 25th year in Kane County with Blitz Build event
- Mrs Schwartz, Wendy Wessel & Erich Schwartz proudly displaying the plaque that the City of Elgin presented to them in honor of 60 years in business. Becky Fitzgerald
- St. Charles North freshman girl's soccer end their season as undefeated conference champs! From left, Caroline Shafar, Cindy Ojeda, Claire Pienkowski, Haley Haneberg, Maddy Bell, Dmi Petrusha, Coach Jeff Fett, Abby Hanselman, Kendall Maffia, Bella Falco, Devyn Rossi, Jordan Karom and Andrea Mejia. Erika Haneberg
- This is the 14th year, St.Charles North HS Drill team has taken won a state title in dance. Lori Beaulieu
- On the 100th day of school, not only did third-graders at St. Laurence School in Elgin write about what they would be like at the age of 100, with the help of an aging application they showed what they would look like.
Elena Ferrarin Staff Writer
John Radtke Assistant Sports Editor/Fox Valley Sports and Online Prep Sports Manager
Mike Smith Fox Valley Editor
Susan Klovstad Community News Editor
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Bartlett High School
- 701 Schick Rd.
Bartlett, Il 60103
- Dark Green/Navy Blue/White
- Elgin High School
- 1200 Maroon Dr.
Elgin, Il 60120-8197
- South Elgin High School
- 760 E. Main St.
South Elgin, Il 60177
- Red, Navy, Silver
- St. Charles North High School
- 255 Red Gate Road
St. Charles, Il 60175
- North Stars
- Royal Blue/Black
Daily Herald Communities
- Where Tradition Meets the Future
- 41.992283, -88.307858
- Kane County