Communities » Carol Stream Area News
'Memorial Day is every day' for parents of Carol Stream soldierEvery Memorial Day, Michael and Jackie Gulczynski visit their son Lenny's grave, the dog tags of more than 20 of his fellow soldiers in hand. “On Memorial Day he's got a face, he's got a name. Take a second to remember that,” Jackie says.Last Updated May 25, 2015 8:09 AM
DuPage County Academic Team honorable mentionsPosted May 21, 2015 5:00 AM
There were 40 students from around DuPage County named as honorable mentions to the Daily Herald's Academic Team for 2014-2015.
The best staff photos from last weekPosted May 25, 2015 1:00 AM
You may have missed these great photos from last week.
See the winning images from our weekly photo contestPosted May 22, 2015 1:00 AM
Each week you submit your favorite photo. We pick the best of them and select thefinalists. Here are the finalists for the week of May 18.
Carol Stream Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Marklund Day School Boy Scout Troop ‘like icing on the cake’
- Help Feed the Kids this Summer
- Lake County 4-H Sailing Spin Club
- Spend some of this summer with 4-H in the suburbs
- COD Offers Classes Promoting Firearm Safety this Summer and Fall
- Free Tours this Summer of COD’s 30-Year-Old Russell R. Kirt Prairies
- COD Student Activities Coordinator Named North Central College Outstanding Alumni
- TMA names Steve Rauschenberger as president
- DuPage Foundation Shares Highlights from “All For Arts” Community Arts Inventory
- Girl Scouts seek recreational donations for camping
THE BIG GAME WILL CONSIST OF THE BRONCOS AGAINST THE SEAHAWKS AND EVERY FACEBOOK FAN OF WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE WILL BE A WINNER!
IT?S SIMPLE! HERE?S WHAT TO DO TO WIN:
BE SURE YOU HAVE CLICKED THE ?LIKE? BUTTON ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE. THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SELECT THE TEAM YOU THINK WILL WIN AND POST IT IN THIS THREAD. THAT?S IT!!
NOW HOPE FOR A LOT OF POINTS. EVERY POINT WILL BE WORTH $1 FOR A VOUCHER FROM WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE. EVERYONE IS A WINNER.
SO GO AHEAD, SELECT YOUR TEAM NOW AND YOU ARE GUARANTEED TO WIN! HOW MANY POINTS AND DOLLARS WILL YOUR GIFT CARD BE WORTH? ONLY THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME WILL DECIDE.
SPREAD THE WORD, SHARE THIS POST, AND LET YOUR FRIENDS PARTICIPATE TO GET A FREE GIFT VOUCHER FOR A PURCHASE FROM WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE TOO?. JUST IN TIME FOR VALENTINE?S DAY!
- After more than a decade in scouts, St. Francis senior and St. Michael School alum, Ian Hart, reached the ultimate milestone in scouting. On August 21, Ian became the most recent Eagle Scout of Boy Scout Troop 34. Ian is pictured with his mother, Sunny. Sunny Hart
- Joe Hyken completes his Eagle Scout Service Project for the Carol Stream Park District on April 5. Photo is taken after the boys finished installing their last sign at the Town Center. Names from left to right. Kurt Pysarenko, Hans Carden, Nate Boyd, Joe Hyken, Josh Pysarnko, Nick Quinte, Ryan Montoma. Shawn Hyken
- A group of Eagle Scouts celebrate an Eagle Court of Honor for some of the 13 Eagle Scouts produced in 2013 by Boy Scout Troop 23 of Wheaton. Alexis Zayed
- A group of Eagle Scouts, with their Scoutmaster Mr. Frank Jeffers, that earned the rank of Eagle Scout in 2014 from Boy Scout Troop 23 of Wheaton. Standing, from left: Michael Gehl, Daniel Valentin, Sam Bedrossian, Jacob Poke, Kurt Pysarenko, Joe Hyken, Matt Tarrizo, and Scoutmaster Frank E. Jeffers. Seated row, from left: Connor Foley, Kerry FitzGibbons, Josh Brenc, Nate Gartlan, TJ Wiegman and Luke Jolly. Scout not pictured: Ryan Jolly Alexis Zayed
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Neuropsychologist Paul D. Nussbaum, Ph.D., chats with guest Arlene Coles following his presentation “Five Things to Keep Your Brain Healthy and Sharp.” Dr. Nussbaum spoke at Windsor Park, a faith-based, nonprofit, continuing care retirement community administered by Covenant Retirement Communities. Dr. Nussbaum is a clinical neuropsychologist and adjunct professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Windsor Park
- More than two dozen new gravestones will be dedicated on Saturday afternoon, Sept. 1 at the nearly 160-year-old St. Stephen Cemetery on the Carol Stream-Wheaton border. The ceremony will be at 1 p.m., at the cemetery that traces its origin to the former German farm community of Gretna, north of Saint Charles Road and west of Schmale Road. The program is open to the public and will include dessert refreshments. F. W. Miller
- Members of the Carol Stream Chamber of Commerce assist at the Ribbon Cutting ceremony at Luigi's Pizza Company, 184 N. Gary Avenue in Carol Stream. Chamber Executive Director Luanne Newman joins Jeff Staley (with scissors), wife Sarah Staley, Mayor Frank Saverino, Sr. and chamber members gathered behind the ceremonial blue ribbon. Christopher Oakley
- Council of Catholic Women selling Spring Decor at annual fund-raiser at St. John the Baptist, Winfield Dee Bryja
- West Chicago soccer player transfers to Ecuador. This kid you see in this picture called, Alexis Quezada. From West Chicago's lives right on the border of Carol Stream as well. He is a 16 year old West Chicago Community student. He is not any normal teenager that loves the sport soccer. He is a rising talent. Played with Chicago Fire's youth academy which is in the MLS in Chicago. He recently transferred to Cuenca, Ecuador to play for Club Deportivo Cuenca. Deportivo Cuenca and also teams from Mexico were interested in him and tried signing this young star. At just 16 years of age, he's living in Ecuador with his fathers family as his parents are currently living in West Chicago still and now living his "dream". Photo taken last month on January 15, 2014. Club Deportivo Cuenca Soccer Club
Bob Smith DuPage County Editor
Christie Willhite Assistant City Editor
Orrin Schwarz DuPage County High School Sports Coordinator and Pro Sports Writer
Scott Sanders DuPage County Photo Editor
More Carol Stream News
- Carol Stream Entertainment
- Thousands JustPlay! in Carol Stream
- Naperville walk aims to combat Huntington’s disease
- Memorial fund honors retired deputy who died in airport accident
- Carol Stream Discussion
- Who is really party of the rich?
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Bartlett High School
- 701 Schick Rd.
Bartlett, Il 60103
- Dark Green/Navy Blue/White
- Elgin High School
- 1200 Maroon Dr.
Elgin, Il 60120-8197
- Glenbard North High School
- 990 Kuhn Rd.
Carol Stream, Il 60188
- Black/Old Gold
Daily Herald Communities
- Our Roots are Down and Branching Out
- 60188, 60199
- 41.921944, -88.140755