Communities » Carol Stream Area News
Naperville police release photo of armed robbery suspectNaperville police have released surveilance photos of the man who robbed a nail salon and stole an SUV at gunpoint Saturday evening.Last Updated Mar 27, 2017 4:08 PM
5 years for West Chicago driver in fatal DUI crashUpdated Mar 27, 2017 3:46 PM
DuPage County Judge Brian Telander said he believes Omar Montoya-Medina is “truly sorry” for causing the fiery crash that killed Antonio Alvarez, but also termed Montoya-Medina’s actions late on Dec. 5, 2014, “outrageous.”
Aurora man guilty of girlfriend’s murder, faces up to 85 yearsUpdated Mar 27, 2017 7:54 PM
A Kane County jury deliberated less than two hours Monday before convicting an Aurora man with gunning down his girlfriend in January 2014. Christopher Whetstone faces 45 to 85 years in prison.
Bartlett man gets 13 years for perfume theftsUpdated Mar 27, 2017 7:11 PM
A Bartlett man with a three-decade felony history has been sentenced to 13 years in prison after stealing $4,000 in perfume and cologne from a St. Charles business in late 2015 and early 2016.
Carol Stream writer, 109, working on her 12th bookUpdated Mar 25, 2017 7:25 PM
Merle Phillips started writing seriously in her 70s and has since written 11 books, all self-published and mostly autobiographical. The Carol Stream woman will turn 110 on April 2.
Glen Ellyn cop rescues woman from COD pondUpdated Mar 25, 2017 12:39 AM
A Glen Ellyn police officer rescued a 61-year-old woman whose vehicle was submerged in a retention pond at the College of DuPage shortly before 8 p.m. on Friday. Officer Kevin Riggle was one of the first to arrive on the scene. He swam to the car, which was about 30 yards out from the shoreline, officials said.
Budget, property taxes key issues in calm COD board raceUpdated Mar 23, 2017 6:24 PM
Two years ago, a dozen candidates sought election to the College of DuPage board of trustees in one of the hottest races in the suburbs. This election cycle, however, there’s only four hopefuls vying for three seats on the panel that oversees the Glen Ellyn-based community college.
U-46 schools raise nearly $32,000 to fight hungerUpdated Mar 23, 2017 12:46 PM
Elgin Area School District U-46 schools joined a communitywide effort raising nearly $32,000 this year toward fighting hunger within local communities.
Hanover Park man facing child porn chargesUpdated Mar 22, 2017 6:08 PM
A Hanover Park man is being held on $100,000 bail after being charged in a child pornography investigation.
- U-46 collects $35,000 for scholarships
- Community colleges to share career programs
- Decorated Army veteran pleads guilty to child porn charges
- One hospitalized after Carol Stream house fire
Carol Stream Calendar
Recently shared by others
- April is Child Abuse Prevention Month
- Picosa: Sounds of New Music
- COD to Host ‘Higher Education for Incarcerated Students’ Symposium April 21
- ICAN recognizes Moon Khan with Best Community Leader Award
- On April 5th in Bloomingdale: Retirement Expert Jim Flanagan Shares ‘Essentials of Estate Planning’
- COD Offers Physical Security and Asset Protection Class April 25
- COD Hosts Floral Design Career Development Competition
- COD to Host ‘Facts, Fluff and How to Tell the Difference’ Panel Discussion April 5
- Quality Trainings at DuPage Housing Authority
- Glenbard North to induct students into foreign language honor societies
THE BIG GAME WILL CONSIST OF THE BRONCOS AGAINST THE SEAHAWKS AND EVERY FACEBOOK FAN OF WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE WILL BE A WINNER!
IT?S SIMPLE! HERE?S WHAT TO DO TO WIN:
BE SURE YOU HAVE CLICKED THE ?LIKE? BUTTON ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE. THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SELECT THE TEAM YOU THINK WILL WIN AND POST IT IN THIS THREAD. THAT?S IT!!
NOW HOPE FOR A LOT OF POINTS. EVERY POINT WILL BE WORTH $1 FOR A VOUCHER FROM WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE. EVERYONE IS A WINNER.
SO GO AHEAD, SELECT YOUR TEAM NOW AND YOU ARE GUARANTEED TO WIN! HOW MANY POINTS AND DOLLARS WILL YOUR GIFT CARD BE WORTH? ONLY THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME WILL DECIDE.
SPREAD THE WORD, SHARE THIS POST, AND LET YOUR FRIENDS PARTICIPATE TO GET A FREE GIFT VOUCHER FOR A PURCHASE FROM WINFIELD FLOWER SHOPPE TOO?. JUST IN TIME FOR VALENTINE?S DAY!
- After more than a decade in scouts, St. Francis senior and St. Michael School alum, Ian Hart, reached the ultimate milestone in scouting. On August 21, Ian became the most recent Eagle Scout of Boy Scout Troop 34. Ian is pictured with his mother, Sunny. Sunny Hart
- Joe Hyken completes his Eagle Scout Service Project for the Carol Stream Park District on April 5. Photo is taken after the boys finished installing their last sign at the Town Center. Names from left to right. Kurt Pysarenko, Hans Carden, Nate Boyd, Joe Hyken, Josh Pysarnko, Nick Quinte, Ryan Montoma. Shawn Hyken
- A group of Eagle Scouts celebrate an Eagle Court of Honor for some of the 13 Eagle Scouts produced in 2013 by Boy Scout Troop 23 of Wheaton. Alexis Zayed
- A group of Eagle Scouts, with their Scoutmaster Mr. Frank Jeffers, that earned the rank of Eagle Scout in 2014 from Boy Scout Troop 23 of Wheaton. Standing, from left: Michael Gehl, Daniel Valentin, Sam Bedrossian, Jacob Poke, Kurt Pysarenko, Joe Hyken, Matt Tarrizo, and Scoutmaster Frank E. Jeffers. Seated row, from left: Connor Foley, Kerry FitzGibbons, Josh Brenc, Nate Gartlan, TJ Wiegman and Luke Jolly. Scout not pictured: Ryan Jolly Alexis Zayed
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Neuropsychologist Paul D. Nussbaum, Ph.D., chats with guest Arlene Coles following his presentation “Five Things to Keep Your Brain Healthy and Sharp.” Dr. Nussbaum spoke at Windsor Park, a faith-based, nonprofit, continuing care retirement community administered by Covenant Retirement Communities. Dr. Nussbaum is a clinical neuropsychologist and adjunct professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Windsor Park
- More than two dozen new gravestones will be dedicated on Saturday afternoon, Sept. 1 at the nearly 160-year-old St. Stephen Cemetery on the Carol Stream-Wheaton border. The ceremony will be at 1 p.m., at the cemetery that traces its origin to the former German farm community of Gretna, north of Saint Charles Road and west of Schmale Road. The program is open to the public and will include dessert refreshments. F. W. Miller
- Members of the Carol Stream Chamber of Commerce assist at the Ribbon Cutting ceremony at Luigi's Pizza Company, 184 N. Gary Avenue in Carol Stream. Chamber Executive Director Luanne Newman joins Jeff Staley (with scissors), wife Sarah Staley, Mayor Frank Saverino, Sr. and chamber members gathered behind the ceremonial blue ribbon. Christopher Oakley
- Council of Catholic Women selling Spring Decor at annual fund-raiser at St. John the Baptist, Winfield Dee Bryja
- West Chicago soccer player transfers to Ecuador. This kid you see in this picture called, Alexis Quezada. From West Chicago's lives right on the border of Carol Stream as well. He is a 16 year old West Chicago Community student. He is not any normal teenager that loves the sport soccer. He is a rising talent. Played with Chicago Fire's youth academy which is in the MLS in Chicago. He recently transferred to Cuenca, Ecuador to play for Club Deportivo Cuenca. Deportivo Cuenca and also teams from Mexico were interested in him and tried signing this young star. At just 16 years of age, he's living in Ecuador with his fathers family as his parents are currently living in West Chicago still and now living his "dream". Photo taken last month on January 15, 2014. Club Deportivo Cuenca Soccer Club
More Carol Stream News
- Carol Stream Sports
- Neuqua Valley a repeat champ
- AWF tops Glenbard for Combined Division state title
- St. Francis picks up where it left off
- Scouting DuPage County baseball
- Suburban fans get to present Cubs with World Series rings
- Carol Stream Business
- College of DuPage offers building automation systems certificate
- Carol Stream Entertainment
- Carol Stream writer, 109, working on her 12th book
- McAninch summer lineup: Music tributes, movies, more
- Carol Stream Opinion
- Endorsements: Elmore, Orozco, Stone, Svoboda for Carol Stream CCSD 93
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Bartlett High School
- 701 Schick Rd.
Bartlett, Il 60103
- Dark Green/Navy Blue/White
- Elgin High School
- 1200 Maroon Dr.
Elgin, Il 60120-8197
- Glenbard North High School
- 990 Kuhn Rd.
Carol Stream, Il 60188
- Black/Old Gold
Daily Herald Communities
- Our Roots are Down and Branching Out
- 60188, 60199
- 41.921944, -88.140755