Parents, students can visit U-46 high schools at open houses
Submitted by U-46
Elgin Area School District U-46 will hold several open houses for current eighth-grade students and their parents to visit any of the district's five high school academy programs.
The open houses will be held at each high school on Tuesday, Oct. 2 and Thursday, Oct. 4 beginning both days at 7 p.m. and again at 8:15 p.m. This schedule allows families to attend an open house at one academy and travel to another high school to learn about another academy.
The five academies include:
• Larkin High School, 1475 Larkin Ave. in Elgin: The Visual and Performing Arts Academy offers an education utilizing multiple approaches to learning with a fine arts focus. Majors of the academy include dance, music, visual art, and drama.
• Streamwood High School, 701 W. Schaumburg Road in Streamwood: The World Languages and International Studies Academy provides students an intensive, coordinated, and integrated program of study which includes language arts, social studies, technology, international business, and accelerated world languages.
• Bartlett High School, 701 Schick Road, Bartlett: The Science, Engineering and Technology Academy offers state-of-the-art laboratory setups in place of traditional classrooms. The program provides a cutting-edge education in science, engineering, and high technology.
• Elgin High School, 1200 Maroon Drive, Elgin: The Gifted and Talented Academy is developed especially for students who challenge assumptions by raising questions. The advanced study encourages students to maximize their potential through independent study, mentorships, and internships.
• South Elgin High School, 760 E. Main St., South Elgin: The district's newest academy program is South Elgin High's Broadcast, Education, and Communication Networks (BEACON). The BEACON academy will prepare students to become skillful and successful media makers covering the areas of audio and video production, broadcast journalism, webcasting and web design.
While entry requirements for each academy vary, any current eighth-grade students in good standing who live within the U-46 attendance boundaries are eligible to apply for admission. In addition to visiting an open house, families may go to the academy website at www.u-46.org/academy for more information.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close