Breaking News Bar
updated: 8/30/2012 10:56 PM

Suspect arrested after fleeing Bartlett crash with school bus

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 

One man is in custody after police say he fled the scene of a crash with an Elgin Area School District U-46 school bus, which overturned the bus and injured the driver Thursday morning in Bartlett.

The driver of the otherwise empty bus suffered a head injury after the 8:55 a.m. crash at the intersection of Oak Avenue and Route 20 near Eastview Middle School.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Paramedics transported the female bus driver to St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates, and she is expected to be OK, said District Safety Coordinator John Heiderscheidt.

Initial reports indicated the driver of the second vehicle crossed the centerline of the roadway and struck the bus, Heiderscheidt said.

The man left his vehicle at the crash site and fled on foot, forcing police and school district officials to place Eastview Middle School, Independence Early Learning and Barlett Elementary into a secure building status.

Bartlett police and police dogs were assisted by air support in their search for the suspect, who was located less than a mile away on North Hale Avenue. Police did not have details of where on the block the suspect was located, but said he was found on the street.

Police apprehended the driver and gave school district officials the all-clear at 12:15 p.m., Heiderscheidt said.

Prosecutors with the state's attorney's office were meeting with Bartlett police late Thursday, but no charges had been filed.

Police are expected to release further information tonight once the charges are approved.

During the search for the suspect, students at the three affected schools continued their classes, but were not allowed outside.

School staffers immediately double checked the exterior doors, assigned staff to locations throughout the building, and refused entrance to visitors, Heiderscheidt said.

During the lockdown, the school district sent automated voice mail and email messages informing parents of the situation, and sent a second when the driver was arrested.

"When police say we should be in a secure building we act very quickly," Heiderscheidt said. "We take these precautions very seriously."

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.