The annual Kane County Fair's 4-H Blue Ribbon Sale was held July 22 as the culmination of the event. Approximately 21 heads of cattle, 47 hogs, 25 sheep and 36 miscellaneous items were sold at this year's auction. Numerous businesses, community organizations and individual families turned out to support the Kane County 4-H program through the annual auction.
The 4-H Blue Ribbon Sale allows interested individuals and businesses the opportunity to purchase quality animals, which were raised and cared for by Kane County 4-H'ers. Buyers can keep the animal for quality meat for their freezers or send them on to terminal markets for market reimbursement. The Blue Ribbon Sale also helps 4-H members better understand the marketing process and rewards their efforts to produce high quality animals.
The following is a summary of the champion animals (beef, swine, and sheep) that were sold:
• Grand Champion Steer owned by Buddy Haas, Burlington Ag. 4-H Club; purchased by Kevin Dieter Trucking, Maple Park for $5,673.75 ($4.25/lb. -- 1,335 pounds).
• Reserve Grand Champion Steer owned by Danielle Engel Burlington Ag 4-H Club; purchased by Peter A. Peterson Family Memorial, Shabbona for $2,164.50 ($1.85/lb -- 1,170 pounds)
• Grand Champion Barrow owned by Tyler Ott, Big Rock Cowhands 4-H Club; purchased by Judd Trucking, Big Rock for $1,650 ($6/lb. -- 275 pounds)
• Reserve Grand Champion Barrow owned by Michael Long, Big Rock Cowhands 4-H Club; purchased by Baie & Baie Trucking, Waterman for $1,233 ($4.50/lb -- 274 pounds)
• Grand Champion Market Gilt owned by Briley Lenkaitis Burlington Ag 4-H Club; purchased by Gilda Dysart, Wasco for $1,134.75 ($4.25/lb -- 267 pounds)
• Reserve Grand Champion Market Gilt owned by Tyler Ott, Big Rock Cowhands 4-H Club; purchased by Woodman's Food Market, North Aurora for $717.60 ($2.60/lb -- 276 pounds)
• Grand Champion Market Lamb owned by Joe Gorenz, Lincoln Highway 4-H Club; purchased by Woodman's Food Market, North Aurora for $1,000.
• Reserve Grand Champion Market Lamb owned by Jaedyn Slutz, Burlington Ag. 4-H Club; purchased by Woodman's Food Market, North Aurora for $850.
Other beef, swine, sheep and miscellaneous animal champion buyers included:
• Aurora: Kendall County Pork Producers
• Arlington Heights: Fantasy Amusements
• Batavia: Feece Oil Company
• Big Rock: Darrin Ott family
• Burlington: Tim Metz
• DeKalb: Castle Bank
• Denmark, Wis.: Joe Salm
• Dundee Township: Tri-County Concrete Construction Co.
• Elburn: Campton Construction, Daneire Farms, Elburn Self Storage, Old Second Bank, Valley West Sand Blasting and Painting, Stephen Haas family, Jean McShea, Joe Stacey and family, and Yellovich family.
• Elgin: Anderson Graphic Inc., Family Chiropractic Clinic, River Valley Land Improvement Co., Gene Schick, and Marvin and Marilyn Straub family.
• Geneva: C&C Mulch, Kane County Mutual Insurance, Bill and Lisa Kuhn, Jim and Amy Kuhn, and Art and Tina Kuhn.
• Genoa: ReMax Classic, Tammy Engel and Amy Smith, Joe and Lara Fidler, Todd and Karen Sunderlage family, and Pat Clark Beard.
• Hampshire: Buck Bros., Seegers Grain, Engel Farms, Gerry and Kelli DeDina, and Tim VanAcker.
• Hinckley: Becks Hybrids, Rep. Bob Pritchard, and Eric and Tina Wackerlin.
• Leland: Leland Farmers Co.
• Kaneville: Dunteman Turf Farms.
• Maple Park: Barton Landscaping, Elburn Coop, Fabrizius Farm, Edward and Anne Gorenz family, Mark and Linda Schramer family, Gould Farms, Darlene and Nick Hankes, Poust family, Patricia Winckler, and Chris Lenz
• Malta: Almburg Custom Welding and Resource Bank.
• Marengo: Frank and Liz Krueger
• North Lake: Gary & Eileen Merchant
• Plano: Wayne Konicek family
• St. Charles: Inqubator Consulting Inc., Dr. Michele Horton, Kane County Flea Market, Six Alarm Farms, Bill & Ann Shely, Kane County Fair, Kane County Farm Bureau, Ray and Edith Horton, Mike Wiesbrock, and Mike Plamondon.
• South Elgin: Tor Construction and Judy Umbdenstock
• Sugar Grove: Jeff and Kay Bornemann family
• Sycamore: 1st Farm Credit Services, Ron and Deanna Fidler, and Don and Chris Fidler.
• Woodstock: Conserv F.S.
For more information about the Kane County Fair 4-H Blue Ribbon Auction, contact any Kane County 4-H member, University of Illinois Extension in Kane County, 535 S. Randall Road, St. Charles or call (630) 584-6166.