Why not have a green holiday season by recycling old strings of lights? The locations below will accept lights, along with other electronic equipment, free on an ongoing basis.
• Kane County Monthly Electronics and Book Recycling Collection Event, 540 S. Randall Road, St. Charles, (630) 208-3841, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. second Saturday of each month. The next one is Dec. 10.
• Batavia Public Works Department Self-Serve Electronics Drop-off, 200 N. Raddant Road, Batavia, (630) 454-2310, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays.
• ReStore Electronics Recycling Drop-off, 800 N. State St., Elgin, (847) 742-9905, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesdays through Fridays and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays.
For details, visit countyofkane.org under R for Recycling. If you have any other questions about recycling, contact Jennifer Jarland, Kane County's recycling coordinator, at email@example.com or (630) 208-3841.
As well, here are some other tips for enjoying a greener holiday season:
• If you are in the market for some new lights, consider investing in energy-efficient LED holiday lights, which last up to 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs and use only one-tenth the amount of electricity.
• Drop off old decorations you don't want at a local thrift store. Goodwill is always happy to have them.
• Save and reuse wrapping paper, ribbons, boxes, gift bags, and even cards.
Keep the mitten tree warm: The Dundee Township Public Library has a mitten tree and officials ask that you help keep it full with new mittens, as well as gloves, hats and scarves.
The last day to donate is Dec. 21 and the tree is sitting on the lower level of the library's children's department.
Your donations will go to the F.I.S.H. Food Pantry in Carpentersville, as well as the Community Crisis Center in Elgin. The library is at 555 E. Barrington Ave. Call (847) 428-3661.
Holiday classics: The Huntley Area Public Library is using music and movement to illustrate classic holiday stories.
Come hear the stories of "The Nutcracker," "Peter and the Wolf" and "The Snowman."
As a special treat, local piano students will play the accompanying music and invite the kids to move to the classic melodies. The event, for children ages 2-6, is scheduled for 10 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 22.
For details or to register, call (847) 669-5386, ext. 26.
Visit with Santa: Skip the lines at the mall and stop by Algonquin Bank and Trust from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Dec. 10, where Santa will be available to visit with children.
There is no fee. The bank is at 4049 W. Algonquin Road, Algonquin. Call (847) 669-7500.
• Lenore Adkins covers Carpentersville, Huntley, the Dundees, Hampshire and Sleepy Hollow. To reach her, call (847) 608-2725 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org