Communities » Batavia Area News
One hurt in Batavia three-vehicle crashThe driver of a van suffered minor injuries in a three-vehicle crash at Randall Road and Fabyan Parkway in Batavia Saturday night, fire officials said.Last Updated Jul 26, 2014 11:11 PM
Chili fans attend cook-off championship in BataviaUpdated Jul 26, 2014 7:35 PM
The 22nd annual State Championship Chili Cook-Off along the Batavia Riverwalk on Saturday featured 34 entrants. The event was hosted by the Batavia Park District and the Batavia Chamber of Commerce.
Readers share ideas for improving St. CharlesUpdated Jul 26, 2014 7:08 PM
Dave Heun readers offer their thoughts on how St. Charles can overcome challenges it faces and spur development.
Unclaimed bicycles may go to Batavia charityPosted Jul 23, 2014 5:30 AM
Batavia police may turn unclaimed bicycles over to a charity rather than sell them, under a proposal aldermen discussed Tuesday. The Batavia Bicycle Commission has asked for the bicycles, which would be refurbished and given to low-income children and adults.The proposal would apply only to bicycles valued at $100 or less.“It sounds like an excellent program,” City Administrator Bill McGrath told the joint committees of the whole.
- More community news
- Des Plaines tech firm is real gem for entrepreneur
- Geneva Arts Fair: an interactive gallery
Recently shared by others
- Annual leukemia/lymphoma benefit concert set for Saturday
- Join in State Championship Chili Cook-Off July 26
- Geneva varsity dance team has success at Universal Dance Camp
- Trinity Lutheran Church Warrenville VBS Aug 4th - 8th
- 2015 Banner Art Theme Announced - Applications Now Available
- Police Officers Serving “Free” Lunch to Benefit Special Olympics Illinois on 7/25
- Arlington Hts. Sons of the American Legion man is State Commander
- Classic neon signs light up Gallery Talk July 25
- Fox Valley Volunteer Hospice offers help for those with serious illness
- Nominees Sought for 2014 Nurse of the Year Award
Wayne Stayskal (right), retired Tribune Media editorial cartoonist, explains some of the finer points of his work to guests when Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community at 124 Windsor Park Drive in Carol Stream, hosted a retrospective exhibit of his syndicated work. About 75 people attended the artistís reception Aug. 20, including Stayskalís wife Helen (center) and son Bob (left). The show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Sept. 30.
To see a video interview and catch a glimpse of the engaging personality who humorously commentated on culture for more than 30 years visit www.WindsorParkIllinois.org/downloads-news. For details, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500. Shirley Mott
- Congratulations to team Jackpot (Strikers U-13) for winning the Kicks for Cancer 3v3 U-14 Tournament defeating Deadly Deceptions (Campton United U-13) in the final 7-5. Pictured back row: Coach Jim Corno Jr., Ryleigh Strubler, Brandon Knapp and Joe Corno. Front row: John McCaffrey, Brian Bartholomew and Matthew Gombar. Mike Gombar
- Fireworks at Batavia's "Sky Concert" at Engstrom Park taken 4th of July 2013 Maya Yoder
- Lots of delicious food, festive atmosphere, cash bar and more-- Location is the Indoor Event Center at the Kane County Fairgrounds Doors Open at 5:30 pm, Chefs parade at 6 pm and food served at 6:15 pm-- -- Tickets are $35 per person ... or $40 at the door and includes all food at the event-- get advance tickets from any Geneva Rotarian or Geneva Chamber of Commerce--- Benefits Geneva Rotary, Geneva Lions, Geneva History Museum and Geneva Chamber of Commerce-- photo of 5 of our Geneva Rotary volunteer chefs Michele Kinzler, Mike Deagle, Dr. Arun Mani, Charles Barber, Gordy Hard l to r David Nelson
60 Men Who Cook April 11 2014 at Kane County Fairgrounds
Lots of delicious food, festive atmosphere, cash bar and more-- Location is the Indoor Event Center at the Kane County Fairgrounds Doors Open at 5:30 pm, Chefs parade at 6 pm and food served at 6:15 pm-- -- Tickets are $35 per person ... or $40 at the door and includes all food at the event-- get advance tickets from any Geneva Rotarian or Geneva Chamber of Commerce--- Benefits Geneva Rotary, Geneva Lions, Geneva History Museum and Geneva Chamber of Commerce-- photo of Rotarian Bruce Weigel of Geneva www.genevarotary.org David Nelson
- On Friday, April 11 at Kane County Fairgrounds, 60 Men Who Cook event starts at 5:30 p.m. with lots of great food. Get your tickets now from Geneva Rotarians, Geneva Chamber of Commerce - at the door too-- event supports Geneva Rotary, Geneva Lions, Geneva History Museum and Geneva Chamber of Commerce-- tickets are $35 in advance and $40 at the door -- all food is included- cash bar available, raffle, and more-- please attend this fun event- this Friday April 11 Loy Williams and Gordy Hard l to r - two of Geneva Rotary's volunteer chefs David Nelson
- The Batavia High School Boys Varsity Soccer team travelled downstate last weekend to participate in the annual Morton Invitational Tournament. The boys came away with 3 wins resulting in a first place trophy. After competing in this tournament for several years, this team was able to accomplish something no other Batavia team has done before--taking first place overall in the tournament! Janice Heinz
- Mooseheart Eaglets seen for the first time on April 25, 2014 Ron Dickenson
- 6 year Olds Talon Joynt and Sammy Walt get VIP treament from the Batavia Fire Dept on Wilson Street. Talon's Mom, Janeen Joynt
- Carly Hudon with Coach Smith (St. Charles North Stars Varsity Assistant Coach) Signing Letter of Intent for UIS- DII University! Andrea Hudon
- Carly Hudon with her teammates on the Varsity St. Charles North Star Golf Team for 2014 Season- So much support while Carly signing her Letter of Intent! What a great team they were! Great Girls! Andrea Hudon
- Dr. Dean M. Park, D.M.D. and his Geneva Smiles Dental Staff all decided to wear red today in support of National Wear Red Day! One of our Dental Assistant's family members suffers from heart disease and we wanted to show our support by participating in such a wonderful day of support! Dr. Dean M. Park's practice has been in Geneva, IL for over 3 years now. Located at 477 S. Third Street, Suite 142 Geneva IL 60134. Kristen Sommerfeld/Office Manager
- DTA Wildcats 15U Navy & Red teams rocked it at the Mickey Sund Classic in Crystal Lake. The Navy team went 5-0 and outscored their opponents 54-4 on the weekend.The Red team went 4-1 on the weekend with solid pitching and defense including a fantastic 7-5 win against the PBI Eagles in the semi-final game. DTA Wildcats Navy played DTA Wildcats Red in the championship game and were victorious. DuPage Training Academy Baseball
- Kyle Niemiec led the DTA Wildcats 15U Navy team offensively in the Mickey Sund Classic in Crystal Lake last weekend going 7-10 with two homeruns. DuPage Training Academy Baseball
- Eagle spotted at Fabyan East Forest Preserve Saturday May 3, 2014 Brittany Eve Baker
- Geneva Rotary hosted its annual holiday party for over 80 clients of the Association for Individual Development. Many AID staff also attended this special event. The party featured a delicious turkey dinner, entertainment, Santa Claus and his helpers and presents for all was held Dec. 17 2013. AID clients and Geneva Rotary look forward to this special day many months in advance. Special thanks to all Geneva Rotary members, volunteers for the event and sponsors. Many pictures of the event held at First Baptist Church Geneva - West Campus are in the club photo albums at this website and also on the club Facebook page. Geneva Rotary is a service club for persons who live or work in Geneva or the surrounding area - guests and potential new Rotarians are always welcome at our meetings. Visit www.genevarotary.org David Nelson
- Trish Burns, Peck Farm Park Manager of the Geneva Park District, is Geneva Rotary's newest member inducted at the club's April 29 2014 meeting. photo l to r. Michele Kinzler club president, Trish Burns and Kathy Coffey treasurer (First State Bank) Geneva Rotary is an active service club - meetings with special guest speakers, community service projects, youth exchange, networking, social events and more -- visit www.genevarotary.org for more information - guests and potential new members always welcome at our meetings held at Riverside Receptions in Geneva David Nelson
- Jim Otepka of Tri City Family Services presented at Geneva Rotary on Jan. 7 about its Wilderness Challenge program for teenagers entering high school. This program teaches the teens interpersonal skills and builds self-esteem. It is held each June at a location in northern Minnesota. Geneva Rotary made a grant to support this program. Geneva Rotary service club welcomes guests and potential new club members to all its meetings. Visit www.genevarotary.org for more information. Pictured: Jim Otepka with Geneva Rotary club president Michele Kinzler. David Nelson for Geneva Rotary
- The retirees who live at The Holmstad, a faith-based, nonprofit, are investing in the future by awarding $9,000 in scholarships to graduating high school seniors who work in dining services at the retirement community. Nine students received $1,000 each. They are (top row from left) Jeffrey Heise, Benjamin Borowiak; (second row from left) Francisco Gama, Delaney Corbitt, Stephanie Condon; (third row from left) Alice Paul, Gabriel Monarrez; (bottom row from left) Joseph Doyle, Mitchell Kavalec. The Holmstad is a faith-based, not-for-profit continuing care retirement community located at 700 W. Fabyan Parkway, Batavia, Ill. It is administered by Covenant Retirement Communities, which is a ministry of the Evangelical Covenant Church and one of the nationís largest not-for-profit senior services organizations. For more information on The Holmstad, call 877Ė226-7310 or visit www.TheHolmstad.org. The Holmstad
- Shannon Thompson (center), Special Events & Promotions Manager, Northern Illinois Food Bank, accepts a check for $1,400 from Lifesource staff members Dominika Janiga and Andrew McElroy. The donated food was gathered at LifeSource's 19 Chicagoland area donor centers in December as part of its "Triple Your Giving" promotion. Photo courtesy of LifeSource
- Austin Kunert of Batavia with his Kings Express 1934 Chevy Coupe Legend has climbed to 4th in the National points standing with the Inex Legend series. You can Check it out on Facebook Austin Kunert Racing & LIKE Kunert Racing Inc.
"Murphy the flying dog"
Murphy Kraft jumping off the dock on Hohman Lake, Ill. Peter Kraft
- robins having a drink on a very cold sunday moring. Jack Los
- Congressman Roskam cancelled his meeting with families to discuss immigration reform and its effect on families. The families then decorated his door with messages written on colorful butterflies. The butterflies symbolize freedom and migration. Colin Tysoe
- The American Tree Sparrow was taken on a mid-winters walk through Peck Farm, Geneva, Illinois Stephen Schroeder
More Batavia News
- Batavia Business
- Des Plaines tech firm is real gem for entrepreneur
- Batavia Entertainment
- Geneva Arts Fair: an interactive gallery
- Batavia dog rescuers help counterparts in Tennessee
- ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ to be staged in Geneva
- Batavia Discussion
- Only one goal for ‘progressive’ Dems
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Batavia High School
- 1200 W. Wilson St.
Batavia, Il 60510
- Geneva High School
- 416 McKinley Ave.
Geneva, Il 60134
- Royal Blue/White
- Mooseheart High School
- 255 James J. Davis Dr.
Mooseheart, Il 60539
- Red Ramblers
- West Aurora High School
- 1201 W. New York St.
Aurora, Il 60506
Daily Herald Communities
- Where Tradition and Vision Meet
- 60510, 60539
- 41.846562, -88.308441
- Kane County