Communities » Lake in the Hills Area News
South Elgin fifth-graders get lesson on flagFifth-graders at Willard Elementary School in South Elgin get a lesson in flags from members of the Algonquin-Lake in the Hills American Legion Post.Last Updated Nov 21, 2014 4:24 PM
Plan ahead for Black Friday shopping in the Fox ValleyUpdated Nov 26, 2014 3:34 PM
Make a plan. If you're heading out to shop Black Friday or Thanksgiving Day, that's the one piece of advice expert shoppers and mall officials say is necessary. Especially now, when some stores don't open until Black Friday, while others are open Thanksgiving and still others are offering big deals today.
Images: The Week in PicturesUpdated Nov 24, 2014 1:51 PM
This edition of The Week in Pictures gallery features Daily Herald staff photos of people living in the coldest temperatures of the season so far, a cougar delivering frozen turkeys, and a doctor who still makes house calls, representing more than two dozen communities.
Billy Flynn hosts blues party and open jam Nov. 26Updated Nov 24, 2014 2:56 PM
Blues icon Billy Flynn with an All Star band offers a taste of the authentic Chicago blues at “Crystal Lake’s Real Chicago Blues Party and Open Jam” at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 26 in the Listening Room, located within Lakeside Legacy Arts Park at 401 Country Club Road, Crystal Lake.
Lake in the Hills Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Lighting of healing courtyard at Sherman Hospital kicks off holiday season
- Woodlands Academy names new head of school
- Extension offers tips on choosing perfect Christmas tree
- Defenders’ annual Holiday Kick-Off Book Sale
- NARFE hosts holiday party Dec. 9
- Hampshire’s own Prairie View Farm Market a quarterfinalist for the 2014 Independent Small Business Award
- St. Charles Singers to ring in season with ‘Candlelight Carols’
- Top ten tips for holiday food safety
- ECC music ensembles put on annual holiday concerts
- Community volunteers help Dundee Lions prepare to sell Christmas trees
- Argonauts Football and Cheer Conrad Beech was named To Scholar this past Saturday during the Midwest Regional Pop Warner Little Scholars Banquet. Conrad took home a 500.00 check for his great work as a student and outstanding citizen in the community. Algonquin Argonauts
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Barrington High School Gymnast, Danny Schnura places 1st in All-Around at Friday's Freshman Invitational in Hinsdale. Eleven schools competed and Barrington High School finished 4th for overall team. Go Broncos! T. Lauderdale
- Logan Lemke had a great time at East Dundee's Touch-a-Truck event! Thank you to all the military men, firemen, police, and other professionals that contributed to one of his most exciting days! Amanda Lemke
Tyler Jensen, Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri Tim Jensen
- St. Margaret Mary students Kelsey Miner, Mason Chamberlin, and Principal Amy Johnson collected $239.88 and stuffed animals for Oklahoma tornado victims. All proceeds and stuffed animals were sent through Catholic Charities. Denise Crement
- A 6:30 p.m. open house Nov. 12 will showcase the unique educational experience at Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart, 760 E. Westleigh Road in Lake Forest. Visitors will be able to tour the school, meet with teachers and coaches, and learn about the many exciting clubs and activities that are available to students. Woodlands Academy
- Lindsey Willis, 13, of Algonquin won two Gold medals on May 10 at te WKC World Karate Championships in Melbourne, Austrlia. She competed as a member of the AAU/USA National Karate Team. Suzanne Willis
Pastor Lee recently conducted a new member service at Christ United Methodist Church, of Algonquin, IL.
New members Larry Huber, Sandy Huber, Jud Strickland (seated) and Wanda Strickland were presented with roses by Kim Aupperle (on left) Maria Lee
- Crystal Lake resident, Mike Split, races in costume in the 5k Soles for the Dole that benefited Lakeside Legacy Foundation and Girls on the Run of Northwest IL. Patty Bell, Lakeside Legacy Foundation Marketing Assistant
Rotary Club of Fox Valley Sunset welcomes 3 new members
Rotary District 6440 Governor Sarah Oliver, new member Carrie Hintz, new member and Rotary District 6440 Assistant Governor Carlton Ames, Rotarian Kevin Bruning, and Rotary Club of Fox Valley Sunset President Linda Liddell Ellen Bruning
- Gifted teen musician, Lauren Conroy, of Barrington, practices for her recital at St. Catherine of Siena. Lauren is presenting a recital along with organist Maurice Martin on Thursay, March 21 at noon. Lauren is also a gifted violinist and will perform on both instruments. The recital is the last of 11 precital given in the area as part of the Phyllis A. Lange-Connelly Lenten Recital Series. Admission is free. Phyllis A. Lange-Connelly Recital Series
- St. Margaret Mary 4th grade student, Matthew Flondro, displays his Literature Fair Poster Board after reading "The Capture." Denise Crement
- No. 8 Quarterback Michael Loveless runs for a first down on the last carry of the game to seal the first Super Bowl victory for Crystal Lake heavyweights since 2002. Christine Loveless
- Dancers from Haper College Dance and Pom team and from Summers Academy of Dance in Crystal Lake, helped instruct mini-routines and hosted fun free-style dancing on Feb. 15th for tweens ages 10-14. The next Hip Hop Explosion is on March 15th for $6. Janet Kay of from me 2 you photography
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart students Elizabeth (left) and Laura Bartusiak of Lake Forest were among the volunteers who packed meals at Feed My Starving Children in Libertyville recently. In all, nearly 30 girls from the Lake Forest school helped out Jan. 17 at the Libertyville site, 742 E. Park Ave. Volunteers that afternoon packed 142 boxes which represented 30,672 meals. This amount of meals translates to enough nourishment to feed 84 kids for an entire year.
Woodlands Academy requires each student to do at least 70 hours of community service prior to graduation. Many students, though, are passionate about helping others and perform significantly more hours. Woodlands Academy
Congratulations to the World Class Basketball 17U team on taking 2nd place in the AAU National Championships in Orlando, Florida. WCBA went 6 wins and 1 loss and consists of players from Conant, Larkin, Huntley and Hampshire.
Pictured in front row are: Taylor Boley, Joey Ranallo & D'Angelo McBride
Back Row: Head Coach Dan Krauser, Danny Sotos, Zach Gorney, Ryan Blaha, Ryan Cork and Assistant Coach Rick Cork Dan Krauser
John Radtke Assistant Sports Editor/Fox Valley Sports and Online Prep Sports Manager
Madhu Krishnamurthy Staff Writer
Mike Smith Fox Valley Editor
Susan Klovstad Community News Editor
More Lake in the Hills News
- Lake in the Hills Business
- Plan ahead for Black Friday shopping in the Fox Valley
- Lake in the Hills Entertainment
- Billy Flynn hosts blues party and open jam Nov. 26
- Lake in the Hills Discussion
- Who cares what party is in power?
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Crystal Lake South High School
- 1200 S. McHenry Av.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Harry D. Jacobs High School
- 2601 Bunker Hill Dr.
Algonquin, Il 60102
- Golden Eagles
- Huntley High School
- 13719 Harmony Rd.
Huntley, Il 60142
- Red Raiders
Daily Herald Communities
- 60102, 60156
- 42.186729, -88.347429
- McHenry County