Communities » Lake in the Hills Area News
Guilty verdict in McHenry murder and entombment caseA jury deliberated nearly three hours Friday before convicting a McHenry man of killing his girlfriend and entombing her body in his home for more than a year.Last Updated Jul 22, 2016 6:29 PM
4-year-old McHenry-area girl climbed into hot minivan on her own, cops sayUpdated Jul 20, 2016 8:21 PM
A 4-year-old girl, apparently anticipating a trip to grandmother's home, climbed into a minivan her own near McHenry, sheriff's police said. She remains hospitalized.
Scabies outbreak confirmed at McHenry County nursing homeUpdated Jul 20, 2016 6:00 PM
Health officials are investigating a scabies outbreak confirmed at the McHenry County-operated Valley Hi Nursing Home this month.
Trial begins for man accused of killing, entombing girlfriend in his houseUpdated Jul 20, 2016 5:58 AM
William J. Ross shot and killed his girlfriend in fall 2011 and entombed her body in his McHenry County-area home until a neighbor discovered it in November 2013, prosecutors argued in opening statements of Ross' murder trial Tuesday.
Lake in the Hills Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Celebrate art at Tree of Life UU show July 30-31
- Indo-American Heritage Museum celebrates Hall of Fame opening with gala concert
- Pedal into the night for a bike friendly Crystal Lake Aug. 6
- Join annual golf outing Aug. 22 supporting manufacturing
- 6th Annual Mundelein Arts Festiva Coming This Fall
- Five physicists to duke it out at Windy City Physics Slam Aug. 7
- Deadline nears for veteran appreciation awards
- Nominations due for Veteran Volunteer of the Year award
- ECC joins with Delta Dental of Illinois Foundation to offer free exams, cleanings for kids
- East Dundee youth group sees their pastor’s impact on a national level
- The Easter Bunny and Bunny Assistant, Madalynn Emberton, welcomed over 100 children at the Living Waters Lutheran Church Community Easter Egg Hunt on April 4th. The event was a great success with 4,000 filled eggs to be found, plus coffee and treats for the adults. Anne Tanner
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- Full-day kindergarten students at Neubert Elementary School in Algonquin and principal Darlene Warner celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday. He was born March 2, 1904 and his books continue to inspire and amuse children every day! Patricia Rasmussen
- Lake in the Hills residents Riley Chadwick and her brother, Jeremy, play the game "Operation" with Chicago Blackhawks mascot TommyHawk while their mother, Darcy, donates blood at a LifeSource blood drive held March 21 in Rosemont. Dave Silbar
- Lindsey Willis, 13, of Algonquin won two Gold medals on May 10 at te WKC World Karate Championships in Melbourne, Austrlia. She competed as a member of the AAU/USA National Karate Team. Suzanne Willis
- Three Huntley Unit District 158 elementary schools — Mackeben, Chesak, and Leggee — each received more than $1,000 from recent Dine-N-Share fundraisers at Culver’s in Huntley. Richard Myers, right, of Culver’s presented checks totaling $3,190.42 to Mackeben Principal Alice Stech, 2nd from right, Chesak Principal Jen Zayas, and District 158 Director of Communications Dan Armstrong, representing Leggee. The fundraising feat shows the great level of support the district receives from both residents and the local business community. Courtesy of Culver's Huntley
- Dancers from Haper College Dance and Pom team and from Summers Academy of Dance in Crystal Lake, helped instruct mini-routines and hosted fun free-style dancing on Feb. 15th for tweens ages 10-14. The next Hip Hop Explosion is on March 15th for $6. Janet Kay of from me 2 you photography
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart students Elizabeth (left) and Laura Bartusiak of Lake Forest were among the volunteers who packed meals at Feed My Starving Children in Libertyville recently. In all, nearly 30 girls from the Lake Forest school helped out Jan. 17 at the Libertyville site, 742 E. Park Ave. Volunteers that afternoon packed 142 boxes which represented 30,672 meals. This amount of meals translates to enough nourishment to feed 84 kids for an entire year.
Woodlands Academy requires each student to do at least 70 hours of community service prior to graduation. Many students, though, are passionate about helping others and perform significantly more hours. Woodlands Academy
John Radtke Assistant Sports Editor/Fox Valley Sports and Online Prep Sports Manager
Madhu Krishnamurthy Staff Writer
Mike Smith Fox Valley Editor
Susan Klovstad Community News Editor
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Crystal Lake South High School
- 1200 S. McHenry Av.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Harry D. Jacobs High School
- 2601 Bunker Hill Dr.
Algonquin, Il 60102
- Golden Eagles
- Huntley High School
- 13719 Harmony Rd.
Huntley, Il 60142
- Red Raiders
Daily Herald Communities
- 60102, 60156
- 42.186729, -88.347429
- McHenry County