Communities » Lake in the Hills Area News
Woman not guilty of murder by insanity to be held in ElginAn Aurora woman found not guilty by reason of insanity in a 2013 stabbing death will be treated in Elgin; CASA Kane County gets a grant as cases increase 11 percent; a St. Charles police commander earns honors at Northwestern University law enforcement schoolLast Updated Jul 26, 2015 4:04 PM
Fire damages home in Lake in the HillsUpdated Jul 23, 2015 5:35 PM
No one was injured in a fire Thursday morning that damaged a two-story home at 1184 Ridgewood Circle, in Lake in the Hills, authorities said. The residents were not home.
Lake in the Hills beach closedUpdated Jul 23, 2015 12:57 PM
Indian Trails Beach in Lake in the Hills is closed due to elevated bacteria levels, officials said. Also closed are beaches at Veterans Park in Island Lake and Wonder Center in Wonder Lake.
Dawn Patrol: Harry Volkman ‘seriously ill’; hotel robbed near Elk Grove VillageUpdated Jul 28, 2015 6:00 AM
Hotel robbed near Elk Grove Village. Harry Volkman ‘seriously ill,' according to family. Garage fire damages Campton Hills house. Police presence shuts down McLean Boulevard in South Elgin. Grocery store ‘long time coming’ to south Naperville corner. Wheaton Brew Fest on tap this weekend. New WR Eddie Royal is one Bear to watch. 'Big Syl' dealt from Sky to Minnesota.
Dawn Patrol: History of racism in county where Bland died; Houston’s daughter deadUpdated Jul 27, 2015 6:08 AM
Texas county where Sandra Bland died haunted by past racism; no budget, huge deficit just the beginning for Illinois’ fiscal year; Arlington Heights dragon boat club qualifies for World Championship; woman not guilty of murder by insanity to be held in Elgin; Cubs to get needed relief after getting swept by Phillies; Imrem says it’s time for Cubs’ Hoyer, Epstein to step up; Rodon, Sanchez lead White Sox to sweep; being up front about Chicago Bears’ new defense
82-year-old Spring Grove man reported missingUpdated Jul 26, 2015 8:45 AM
Lake County sheriff's police are asking the public's help in locating an 82-year-old Spring Grove man who has been reported missing since 2:30 p.m. Friday. Donald Uklega is a diabetic with dementia and does not have his medications, police said.
Dawn Patrol: Autopsy results in Sandra Bland case; 3 hit by cars in Des PlainesUpdated Jul 24, 2015 5:54 AM
Sandra Bland autopsy results. Three people hurt in two car accidents in downtown Des Plaines. Person killed by train in Maine Township. Autopsy today on Arlington Heights man who died in Wisconsin lake. Fire damages Lake in the Hills home.
Dawn Patrol: Bland family orders 2nd autopsy; Six Flags bans selfie sticksUpdated Jul 23, 2015 5:48 AM
Sandra Bland family calls for second autopsy; Six Flags in Gurnee bans selfie sticks; Gene & Georgetti's opens in Rosemont; Sean M. Morrison to replace Liz Doody Gorman in Cook County Board; is Metra app good enough as a universal card?; Chicago red-light camera case could affect suburbs; Elgin man charged with child porn.
Lake in the Hills Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Register Now for Family to Family Class sponsored by NAMI Barrington
- Golfers tee up to support Berkshire Ballet Theatre
- Group offers support for breast cancer patients, survivors
- New support group focuses on memory loss
- Learn about ‘Community Inclusion’ at Aug. 13 forum
- Support group for MS patients, caregivers offered in Huntley
- Sherman West Court to host Elgin Road Race Car Show
- Constructech to host Technology Day Event Aug. 27
- Explore Prairie Trail North by bike Aug. 1
- Side Street Studio Arts’ Ultimate Painting competitor heads to international competition
- The Easter Bunny and Bunny Assistant, Madalynn Emberton, welcomed over 100 children at the Living Waters Lutheran Church Community Easter Egg Hunt on April 4th. The event was a great success with 4,000 filled eggs to be found, plus coffee and treats for the adults. Anne Tanner
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Full-day kindergarten students at Neubert Elementary School in Algonquin and principal Darlene Warner celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday. He was born March 2, 1904 and his books continue to inspire and amuse children every day! Patricia Rasmussen
- Lake in the Hills residents Riley Chadwick and her brother, Jeremy, play the game "Operation" with Chicago Blackhawks mascot TommyHawk while their mother, Darcy, donates blood at a LifeSource blood drive held March 21 in Rosemont. Dave Silbar
- Lindsey Willis, 13, of Algonquin won two Gold medals on May 10 at te WKC World Karate Championships in Melbourne, Austrlia. She competed as a member of the AAU/USA National Karate Team. Suzanne Willis
- Three Huntley Unit District 158 elementary schools — Mackeben, Chesak, and Leggee — each received more than $1,000 from recent Dine-N-Share fundraisers at Culver’s in Huntley. Richard Myers, right, of Culver’s presented checks totaling $3,190.42 to Mackeben Principal Alice Stech, 2nd from right, Chesak Principal Jen Zayas, and District 158 Director of Communications Dan Armstrong, representing Leggee. The fundraising feat shows the great level of support the district receives from both residents and the local business community. Courtesy of Culver's Huntley
- Dancers from Haper College Dance and Pom team and from Summers Academy of Dance in Crystal Lake, helped instruct mini-routines and hosted fun free-style dancing on Feb. 15th for tweens ages 10-14. The next Hip Hop Explosion is on March 15th for $6. Janet Kay of from me 2 you photography
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart students Elizabeth (left) and Laura Bartusiak of Lake Forest were among the volunteers who packed meals at Feed My Starving Children in Libertyville recently. In all, nearly 30 girls from the Lake Forest school helped out Jan. 17 at the Libertyville site, 742 E. Park Ave. Volunteers that afternoon packed 142 boxes which represented 30,672 meals. This amount of meals translates to enough nourishment to feed 84 kids for an entire year.
Woodlands Academy requires each student to do at least 70 hours of community service prior to graduation. Many students, though, are passionate about helping others and perform significantly more hours. Woodlands Academy
John Radtke Assistant Sports Editor/Fox Valley Sports and Online Prep Sports Manager
Madhu Krishnamurthy Staff Writer
Mike Smith Fox Valley Editor
Susan Klovstad Community News Editor
More Lake in the Hills News
- Lake in the Hills Business
- What damage did Cook's sales tax hike do last time?
- Stores open during Algonquin Commons construction
- Lake in the Hills Entertainment
- Algonquin gets ready for 55th Founders’ Days
- Search upheld in Aurora heroin case
- Huntley PAWFest celebrates 28,000 adoptions
- Zoo releases smooth green snakes in McHenry County
- Constable: Diversity quest drives family from town
- Lake in the Hills Opinion
- Grateful for Honor Flight recounting
- Readiness efforts key to ensuring college success
- Editorial: Council woman’s departure emphasizes the challenge of diverse leadership in the suburbs
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Crystal Lake South High School
- 1200 S. McHenry Av.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Harry D. Jacobs High School
- 2601 Bunker Hill Dr.
Algonquin, Il 60102
- Golden Eagles
- Huntley High School
- 13719 Harmony Rd.
Huntley, Il 60142
- Red Raiders
Daily Herald Communities
- 60102, 60156
- 42.186729, -88.347429
- McHenry County