Communities » Huntley Area News
Fox River Grove ski tournament marks 110 years this weekendWhile most suburbanites would welcome this week's warmer temperatures, Fox River Grove residents are praying for snow. The Norge Ski Tournament marks its 110th year this weekend in Fox River Grove. Organizers said with temperatures rising keeping the slopes snowpacked will be a challenge.Last Updated Jan 23, 2015 5:16 AM
Lake in the Hills third safest, website claimsUpdated Jan 22, 2015 1:15 PM
Lake in the Hills ranked third on NeighborhoodScout.com’s list of the 100 Safest Cities in America with 25,000 or more people based on the number of property and violent crimes per 1,000 residents. “I’m not all that surprised we ranked that high,” Village President Paul Mulcahy said. “It’s absolutely a testimony to the excellence of our police department and just the quality of the town across the board."
The film is the focus at Woodstock Groundhog Days festivalPosted Jan 27, 2015 2:45 PM
Although not all of the activities associated with Woodstock Groundhog Days are linked to the movie “Groundhog Day,” starring Bill Murray, the film is the focus of the city’s festival, which starts Thursday, Jan. 29 and runs through Monday, Feb. 2. “The movie was the catalyst. There was no Woodstock Groundhog Days before the movie came out in 1992,” said Rick Bellairs, member of the Woodstock Groundhog Days Committee.
Images: Photo Contest FinalistsPosted Jan 23, 2015 1:01 AM
Each week you submit your favorite photo. We pick the best of them and select the finalists. Here are the finalists for the week of January 19.
Recently shared by others
- Enjoy a candlelight night hike in Coral Woods
- St. Mary’s Knights treats altar servers to special breakfast
- Enroll now with Littlest Disciples Preschool
- Girl Scouts open winter camp in Harvard to families
- Game plan for Super Bowl Sunday: Don’t drink and drive
- St. Hubert Catholic School Earns Award at Future Citiy Competition
- Choosing the best preschool for your child
- Play examines the 1995 Chicago heat wave at ECC Feb. 3
- Free prostate cancer screenings offered in February
- McHenry police association honors 10 officers at banquet
- 2013 Fire Prevention Month Coloring Contest and Escape Plan Winners! Top Row: Devin Pantelin, Tyler Fikis, Jack DiCosola, Devin Concha, Chloe Holz, Amina Hatanaka, Jacob Flesher, Hunter McCarthy, Jocelyn Erling, Lindsay Potts; Bottom Row: Matt Mowers, Tegan Van Wiel, Bobby Leonard, Jack Wright on Wednesday, Oct. 23, at the Hampshire FIre Station , 202 Washington Ave. William
- Argonauts Football and Cheer Conrad Beech was named To Scholar this past Saturday during the Midwest Regional Pop Warner Little Scholars Banquet. Conrad took home a 500.00 check for his great work as a student and outstanding citizen in the community. Algonquin Argonauts
Blessing of Graduates at Christ United Methodist Church
Front: Pastor Lee, Emily Williams, Steve Riedinger, Ryan Greenwood, Logan Moring, Rachel Hugg Second row: Julie Kupkreja, Kelley Williams, Pauly Ramsey, Shelli Morning, Doug Literski, Eric Hugg Backrow: Ralph Bergstrom, Joe Greenwood, Eleanor Kilberger, Joe Kilberger, Judy Baker Maria Lee
A nuthatch is getting ready to enter the feeder.
Even though there's 10 inches of snow on the roof and as cold as -15 degrees, the sunflower seeds are nice and dry. Ray Precin
- Barrington High School Gymnast, Danny Schnura places 1st in All-Around at Friday's Freshman Invitational in Hinsdale. Eleven schools competed and Barrington High School finished 4th for overall team. Go Broncos! T. Lauderdale
- Our hummingbird Geo, feeding on a hot summer day. Jen Bumgardner
"Joey B worn out!"
Joey Byker of Hampshire weary from the sled hill at Seyller Park. Jeff Byker
Launching of 2013 Confirmation Class at Christ Church of Algonquin
Top photo: (kneeling left to right) Jensen Jones, Celine Jones,Casey Deak, Pastor Lee
Backrow: Carrie Jones, Gary Slagle, Shelli Moring,Robin Deak
Lower photo: (front row) Alison Blackmore, Nicholas Masek, Dale Harden, Pastor Lee
Backrow: Lisa Greenwood, Cathy Blackmore, Cheryl Fournier, Eric Linner, Linda Mullen, Gary Slagle
Last row: Debbie Thomas, Mark Gatsakos,Mark Harden Maria Lee
"Little moments like these bring me so much joy!"
Brayden and Paige Bumgardner taking in the beautiful sunset in Huntley, IL. Jen Bumgardner
Pastor Lee recently conducted a new member service at Christ United Methodist Church, of Algonquin, IL.
New members Larry Huber, Sandy Huber, Jud Strickland (seated) and Wanda Strickland were presented with roses by Kim Aupperle (on left) Maria Lee
Rotary Club of Fox Valley Sunset welcomes 3 new members
Rotary District 6440 Governor Sarah Oliver, new member Carrie Hintz, new member and Rotary District 6440 Assistant Governor Carlton Ames, Rotarian Kevin Bruning, and Rotary Club of Fox Valley Sunset President Linda Liddell Ellen Bruning
- Bee feeding on Sunflower Abel Llamas
- Gifted teen musician, Lauren Conroy, of Barrington, practices for her recital at St. Catherine of Siena. Lauren is presenting a recital along with organist Maurice Martin on Thursay, March 21 at noon. Lauren is also a gifted violinist and will perform on both instruments. The recital is the last of 11 precital given in the area as part of the Phyllis A. Lange-Connelly Lenten Recital Series. Admission is free. Phyllis A. Lange-Connelly Recital Series
"Thanks Dad for the hot cocoa!"
Mariana Byker of Hampshire, enjoying some hot cocoa at the sled hill at Seyller Park Jeff Byker
"The beauty of autumn"
Trees changing color in our back yard. adam f strzok
- No. 8 Quarterback Michael Loveless runs for a first down on the last carry of the game to seal the first Super Bowl victory for Crystal Lake heavyweights since 2002. Christine Loveless
- Girl Scout Troop 1230 of Huntley, collected more than 70 backpacks during April for Autism Awareness Month. The Troop held a community backpack drive to benefit Alexander Leigh Center for Autism. The backpacks will be used by the staff and students of ALCA throughout the coming year. ALCA teacher Nicole McCarthy, far left, accepted the backpacks from members of the Troop on April 27 during an open house held at the Crystal Lake school. The troop toured ALCA after making their generous donation. Kathrine Pfister Violett
"Up Close and Personal"
My wife, Irene Biedron got a hello from her humpy friend during our Wild Animal Safari ride while on vacation in Branson, Mo. Tom Biedron
- Clearbrook Director of Community Living Services, Dave Boggs (far left), helps Echelon vice president, Pam Harmon and president Reid Harman unload boxes of stemware, tumblers, mugs, bowls, produced by City Glass to be used in Clearbrook’s many group homes. A valued Clearbrook supporter, Gilberts, IL-based Echelon Design focuses on integrating all facets of design. Clearbrook
- Cardunal Crop Walk hosted by Congregational Church of Algonquin that includes Christ United Methodist Church of Algonquin and the Congregational Church of Dundee Maria Lee
Congratulations to the World Class Basketball 17U team on taking 2nd place in the AAU National Championships in Orlando, Florida. WCBA went 6 wins and 1 loss and consists of players from Conant, Larkin, Huntley and Hampshire.
Pictured in front row are: Taylor Boley, Joey Ranallo & D'Angelo McBride
Back Row: Head Coach Dan Krauser, Danny Sotos, Zach Gorney, Ryan Blaha, Ryan Cork and Assistant Coach Rick Cork Dan Krauser
John Radtke Assistant Sports Editor/Fox Valley Sports and Online Prep Sports Manager
Madhu Krishnamurthy Staff Writer
Mike Smith Fox Valley Editor
Susan Klovstad Community News Editor
More Huntley News
- Huntley Sports
- Fox River Grove ski tournament marks 110 years
- Huntley Business
- Algonquin Commons to host Ladies Night Out
- Huntley Entertainment
- The film is the focus at Woodstock Groundhog Days festival
- Fox River Grove ski tournament marks 110 years
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- The Friendly Village with Country Charm
- 42.164524, -88.42433