NASA astronauts go back to the future with capsule launch
It's back to the future as NASA astronauts launch again from the U.S. - aboard a retro-style "Right Stuff' capsule
You can still honor fallen heroes at home today with candles at dusk, virtual ceremoniesIn a message released by James W. "Bill" Oxford, National Commander of the American Legion, he asks Americans to celebrate Memorial Day in a different way this year. "I'm calling on The American Legion Family to encourage communities far and wide to pay tribute to our nation's fallen heroes at dusk ... by lighting candles of honor and placing them on front porches," Oxford said. Plus, many tributes can be seen in online videos.
Churches holding services say they're taking precautionsIllinois churches holding services despite warnings about health risks during the coronavirus pandemic say they're taking precautions to protect congregants.
Baby gorilla badly injured in family skirmish at Seattle zooZookeepers at a Seattle zoo say a baby gorilla was badly injured Saturday when he was caught in a skirmish between his family group members
Illinois Senate follows House, approves $42.8 billion budgetThe Illinois Senate early Sunday morning passed a budget package authorizing $42.8 billion in general revenue spending next year, although much of that remains tentative depending on the progression of the COVID-19 pandemic and potential congressional action that could send more financial aid to states.
Longtime Chicago Memorial Day parade goes onlineA Memorial Day parade on Chicago's North Side that's been around for more than a half century is going online this year
Eddie Sutton, Hall of Fame basketball coach, dies at 84Hall of Fame basketball coach Eddie Sutton has died
Last British governor says Hong Kong 'betrayed' by ChinaThe last British governor of Hong Kong says China has betrayed the semi-autonomous territory by tightening control over the city it had promised could keep freedoms not found on the mainland
Migrant shipwrecks off Tunisia leave 1 dead, over 80 rescuedAt least one migrant has drowned, six are missing and over 80 have been rescued off Tunisia's Mediterranean coast
The Week in Pictures is brought to you by Daily Herald photographersDaily Herald photographers experienced first-hand the exceptional caring attitude of suburbanites.
Wuhan lab head calls virus leak claims 'pure fabrication'The director of the Wuhan Institute of Virology says claims promoted by the Trump administration that the global coronavirus pandemic originated at the Chinese laboratory are a 'úpure fabrication."
In fight against virus, South Africa expects a long waitSouth Africa is struggling to balance its fight against the coronavirus with its dire need to resume economic activity
- 12:40 AMJimmy Cobb, 'Kind of Blue' drummer for Miles Davis, dies
- 12:30 AMWilliam Small, 'hero to journalism' at CBS, NBC, dies at 93
- 12:05 AMAsia Today: Philippines trying to ease quarantine congestion
- 11:46 PMDeath and denial in Brazil's Amazon capital
- 11:23 PMStormy weather puts damper on SpaceX's 1st astronaut launch
- 11:21 PMWoman charged in Aurora shooting
- 9:37 PMIn Bolsonaro's Brazil, everyone else is to blame for virus
More Suburban News
- Kane CountyPolice investigating home invasion report in Kane County
- NewsWatch video of Arlington Heights Memorial Day ceremony
- Prep SportsBaseball players making new pitch after college programs cut
- SchaumburgCook County backs tax incentives for 3 suburban businesses
- BataviaBatavia Lions Club awards 2 scholarships
- BloomingdaleBloomingdale chamber awards scholarships
- EducationZach Ernst approved as principal of Hough Street Elementary School in Barrington
- Prep GraduationsArlington Heights church gives graduates the on-stage photo they missed
- ElginConstable: Two young men died fighting in Vietnam, and their high school class has never forgotten
- AddisonAddison couple weds on front steps of their home
- NewsSuburban ethnic congregations cautiously consider reopening
- AuroraAurora girl, 13, reported missing
- HampshireFlooded roads in Hampshire
- WaukeganWaukegan man killed in Zion crash
- EducationPandemic forces Barrington High School entrepreneurship students to adjust on the fly