Nicor Gas shares energy saving tools, simple tips for customers to save money on 'National Cut Your Energy Costs Day'
Nicor Gas invites customers to mark "National Cut Your Energy Costs Day," by taking advantage of simple tips and free tools to make small changes around their home that can deliver big savings during the cold months of winter.
Almost half of the energy in the home goes to heating and cooling, so it is important for customers to ensure they keep their systems tuned up and in proper working order. Simple tips to consider whether you own or rent your home include:
• Regularly replace air and furnace filters; most filters should be cleaned or replaced every 60-90 days. A clean filter will allow the system to run more efficiently.
• Open window coverings during the day to allow sunlight to heat your home naturally, and close curtains at night to reduce the chill from cold windows.
• Keep furniture, drapes, stuffed animals and other objects away from heating sources.
• Adjust timer controls and programmable thermostats. Some older thermostats may not have an internal clock and need to be adjusted manually.
• Winterize the home by finding and sealing leaks and replace older, less energy efficient gas appliances.
• Repair windows that don't close properly and replace single-pane windows with more efficient ones.
When temperatures drop well below freezing as many customers are currently experiencing across Northern Illinois, Nicor's infrastructure has the capacity to deliver safe natural gas via our modernized pipeline system and storage facilities during the coldest months of the year.
Energy assistance for customers
Nicor Gas is committed to ensuring its customers not only have the clean, reliable energy they expect and deserve, but also have options and resources to help manage their monthly bills. Last year, the company directed more than $47 million in energy assistance to customers through the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, Percentage of Income Payment Plan and the Sharing and Energy Aide program.
Additionally, Nicor Gas partners with the Salvation Army through the Shield of Caring program to provide natural gas bill payment emergency assistance and support for other basic needs, including housing, rental and groceries.
Energy efficiency resources, programs to save
Nicor Gas also offers several programs and free resources that residential customers can take advantage of to improve the efficiency of their homes while better managing energy usage and power bills. Through the company's Energy Efficiency Program, customers can manage their costs by lowering out-of-pocket expenses for energy efficiency improvements through rebates and a preferred contractor network, free home energy assessments and energy saving products including foam pipe insulation, shower timers and hot water temperature cards.