Transportation | Tollway promises new vote after chairman approves subcontract with former employer
New Illinois tollway Chairman Will Evans voted to approve a contract with the engineering company he had stopped working for just weeks earlier.
Lake County | Why a suburban veteran volunteers every month at the Vietnam Memorial in D.C.Vietnam War veteran Paul Baffico says he finds healing by volunteering at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C., and running a nonprofit group in the suburbs.
News | Rescuing trapped driver makes prom even more memorable for Hoffman Estates High seniorStefan Knappik of Schaumburg was driving his girlfriend home from Hoffman Estates High School's senior prom Saturday night when their coming across the aftermath of a vehicle collision -- including a man trapped in an overturned car -- made the dance even more memorable.
Kane County | Aurora landlord charged with sexually assaulting new tenantAn Aurora landlord is held on $500,000 bail on charges he sexually assaulted a new female tenant after she refused his advances.
News | Elgin council likes idea of 24 hours' notice before impounding private property on public spacesBalking at photos showing loads of bags and even a pitched tent in public parking garages, Elgin City Council members endorsed a city hall plan to tighten regulations regarding private property left in public spaces.
Business | Warren, Ocasio-Cortez demand answers on Sears bankruptcy from MnuchinSen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., are calling on U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to be more transparent about his time on Sears's board as the retailer plunged into bankruptcy. They also take issue with his possible oversight of the company's pension plans.
News | Des Plaines approves "hotel-style" senior living community downtownDes Plaines has approved plans for a $30 million "hotel-style" senior living community downtown.
News | Mancow alleges in police report that ex-Harvest Bible pastor asked him to hire hitmanWilmette police Wednesday released a report detailing allegations from former members of Rolling Meadows-based Harvest Bible Chapel, including WLS host Mancow Muller, that then-pastor James MacDonald solicited them to find him a hitman.
News | Caputo chosen to become COD's next presidentThe interim president who has been overseeing daily operations at the College of DuPage is poised to remove the "interim" part of his title. COD board members on Thursday night agreed to appoint Brian Caputo as the seventh president of the state's largest community college.
News | Glen Ellyn library to provide meals, snacks to needy kids over the summerThe Glen Ellyn Public Library is addressing the issue of childhood hunger and nourishing young minds this summer.
Lake County | Hundreds of Lake County properties were overtaxed, officials admitHundreds of Lake County property owners received tax bills this month that wrongly asked for too much money because of computer errors that eliminated legitimate credits, officials acknowledged Thursday.
News | North Aurora firm recalls 62,000 pounds of beef that may have E. coliA North Aurora packing company is recalling 62,112 pounds of raw beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli, U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service.
- 3:21 AMIran's foreign minister in Pakistan amid tensions with US
- 3:16 AMD-Day for May? UK leader could name her departure date
- 2:38 AMUS charges WikiLeaks founder with publishing classified info
- 2:36 AMIndia's Modi paints image of Hindu ascetic called to power
- 2:28 AMTrump Japan visit to focus on personal ties, not substance
More Suburban News Find your community
- Mount ProspectDriver hospitalized after vehicle rolls over in Mount Prospect parking lot
- ElginElgin founder of suburban group of McDonald's franchises remembered as a kind businessman
- LincolnshireTwo hospitalized after hazardous material situation at Lincolnshire pool
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove-sponsored Bahamas Bowl set for Dec. 20
- WheatonDuPage County's sex offender registry coordinator receives national award
- News100 years in the making -- video highlights Memorial Day in Arlington Heights
- Des PlainesDes Plaines recommends tax break for $12.5 million industrial building
- GurneeManufacturer gives update on facility's emission reduction plan
- NewsDistrict 62 hires hires principal for Central Elementary School
- St. CharlesGas station, retail space slated for St. Charles business park
- NapervilleConstruction of Naperville's 95th Street Community Plaza is underway after Wednesday groundbreaking
- Sleepy HollowSheriff: Sleepy Hollow attack suspect stabbed jail inmate with pencil
- 11:10 PMGlen Ellyn Park District's Monday Miles returns with theme nights, giveaways
- 10:23 PMNorsk Museum to open summer season with 'Taste of Norway' June 1
- 1:06 PMSanta's Village celebrates 60 years of memories with celebration May 25-27
- 11:34 AM17th annual Tyler Brett Caruso Memorial Concert kicks off summer concert series
- 10:40 AMGolf Enthusiasts, Education Supporters Encouraged to Sign Up for Foundation Golf Outing in Lake Geneva
- 7:39 AMUIC Engineering students win third place at Army drone design competition
- 7:29 AMIntroducing Our New Principal at St. James School
- 7:24 AMDonate Blood at Schaumburg's Community Blood Drive June 5
Inside Daily Herald