Education | A lot of kids still aren't ready for kindergarten: What suburban districts are doing about it
A state report released Tuesday shows inequities persist in kindergarten readiness with roughly one in four Illinois children entering fully ready to learn, while the rest require additional support.
Education | Harper College board awards Ender $45,000 parting giftHarper College board members on Wednesday awarded outgoing President Ken Ender a $45,000 performance bonus as they heaped praise upon him for his leadership of the Palatine-based community college over the past decade.
DuPage County | A 'space for healing': Volunteers build playground at DuPage domestic violence shelterA new playground at a domestic violence shelter is a place of "healing" and respite for survivors and their children.
News | Huntley High state champions feeling the hometown love and now will lead a paradeHuntley High School's Red Raiders softball team has gotten much hometown love since returning with the state championship title earlier this month after a historic 1-0 victory in eight innings against St. Charles East.
Crime | Schaumburg man guilty of sexually assaulting, strangling his neighborThe verdict Tiffany Thrasher's family waited more than two years to hear came late Wednesday, when Cook County Judge Steven Goebel found the 32-year-old woman's neighbor guilty of sexually assaulting and strangling her in her Schaumburg apartment. Goebel found Bulmaro Mejia-Maya, 32, guilty of first-degree murder, aggravated criminal sexual assault and home invasion, charges for which he could spend the rest of his life in prison.
Lake County | Leaf-burning could soon be an endangered practice in Lake CountyLeaf burning in unincorporated areas of Lake County may be headed to the trash pile.
Business | AP FACT CHECK: Claims from the 1st Democratic debateAP FACT CHECK: Claims from the opening debate of the Democratic presidential campaign and how they compare with reality
Kane County | Police: Aurora man tried to kill girlfriend's mom with minivanA 20-year-old man has been arrested and charged with attempted murder and other felonies after Aurora police said he purposely struck his girlfriend's mother early Tuesday morning with a minivan. Jordi Nieto is next due in court on July 3 and faces six to 30 years in prison if convicted.
Kane County | Aurora woman now charged with murder after infant son diesA 23-year-old Aurora woman arrested last week on charges she critically injured her 6-month-old son is now charged with first-degree murder after he died Tuesday.
Cook County | County ordinance would remove ID requirement for transgender bathroom accessTransgender residents in Cook County soon would be able to use restrooms, dressing rooms and other facilities they choose, based on their gender identities, without having to show IDs, if the county board approves the change Thursday.
DuPage County | 30 months' probation for Marine who caused DUI crash near ElmhurstNot only was Marine Sgt. Chester Gordon asleep and traveling in the wrong direction on I-290 when his vehicle collided head-on with another car, injuring two women, but his blood alcohol level was .151 more than two hours after the crash. Nevertheless, outside of those few hours on Dec. 30, 2018, several fellow Marines and Gordon's sister testified Wednesday that Gordon was a father figure to his nieces and an "exemplary Marine."
DuPage County | Cronin's restructuring plan draws fire from criticsA move by DuPage County Board Chairman Dan Cronin to expand the roles of three key employees is drawing fire from some board members who say they weren't given enough information about the restructuring plan.
- 2:52 AMGermany's Merkel shaking again at event in Berlin
- 2:41 AMThe Latest: Japan says Trump criticism of pact 'irrelevant'
- 2:29 AMCensus, redistricting decisions due on high court's last day
- 2:26 AMBorder aid bill faces standoff in Congress over protections
- 2:25 AMSouth Korea's 'Song-Song' couple seek divorce, stunning fans
More Suburban News Find your community
- ItascaThree vehicles involved in crash on I-290 near Itasca
- TransportationTwo suffer minor injuries in Deerfield crash
- ElginArlington Heights woman headed back to prison after South Elgin car theft
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove police investigating death of 28-year-old woman
- BarringtonCash offered for tips to help investigation of vandalism directed at gay Barrington teen
- WaukeganWaukegan man accused of locking daughter in basement to be evaluated again for fitness to stand trial
- Hoffman EstatesGigi's Playhouse namesake Gigi Gianni nails national anthem at Wrigley Field
- DuPage CountyBerlin will seek third term as DuPage state's attorney
- AuroraMutual Ground gets ex-Aurora school building, for free, for offices
- AntiochAntioch woman identified as worker killed at Lake Forest construction site
- BartlettBartlett police arrest boy on armed robbery charge
- East DundeeWant $25K to spruce up your building in the Dundee Crossings district? East Dundee offering grants
- 1:29 AMSouth Elgin offers summer camps for youth
- 12:45 AMTrail closures slated at Bliss Woods in Sugar Grove
- 10:29 PM6x6 Project Online Art Auction to end with June 29 reception
- 6:08 PMEnjoy fiddle tunes, animal programs at Elgin Public Museum in July
- 3:56 PMCOD names Dilyss Gallyot 2018-2019 College-Wide Outstanding Faculty Member
- 2:34 PMAurora Central to stage Shakespeare-style show outdoors
- 2:21 PMTour gardens on McHenry County Master Gardeners walk
- 2:09 PMGuest speaker to lead special Vineyard Church service
Through the Film Magnifier: Barry Manilow, Deadheads, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Connors, a fishing derby and more
Inside Daily Herald