Columns | How many collecting Illinois pensions have moved to other states, and how much did they take with them?
More than 71,000 former public employees collecting more than $2.4 billion in annual pension benefits no longer live in Illinois.
Crime | Schaumburg 84-year-old accused in slaying of son, held without bailAn 84-year-old man was ordered held on no bail Thursday on charges he shot his son to death at the Schaumburg home they shared.
Business | Sale goes through, but concerns linger over new Rivers Casino ownershipKentucky-based Churchill Downs Inc. completed its $326 million acquisition of a majority stake in Rivers Casino in Des Plaines despite state gambling regulators concerns that the new ownership group does not include enough women and minorities.
Cook County | Property taxes stable for Northwest suburban Cook County homeownersThe average property tax bill for homeowners in the North and Northwest suburbs rose by about $16 from last year. However, homeowners who live in areas where tax hikes were approved by voters can expect to see a larger spike in their bill.
Education | 'It's not happy memories anymore': Mom still hurt over District 94's abrupt removal of memorial treeThe autumn blaze maple and plaque that stood outside West Chicago High School for 15 years were a memorial to Lee Ann Meiborg's daughter, Amanda, the Class of 2002 valedictorian who died a year later at age 19 from a rare form of cancer. The abrupt removal of the tree and plaque still hurts, she says.
News | Great Wolf Lodge in Gurnee to offer water park-only passes, rankling Great America execStarting Friday, you won't have to be a hotel guest to swim and splash at Great Wolf Lodge's indoor water park in Gurnee. The chain has gotten the village's OK to sell day passes.
News | Shakou closing St. Charles restaurant, repurposing space for corporate needsShakou is closing its St. Charles location at the end of the month, with plans to repurpose the space into a central commissary for the rapidly growing restaurant group.
Kane County | Carpentersville man charged with attempted murder for firing on copsA 22-year-old man has been charged with two counts of attempted murder and other felonies after authorities said he opened fire Tuesday at Carpentersville police before being wounded himself.
News | Schakowsky, Casten join calls for Trump impeachmentSuburban members of Congress Rep. Jan Schakowsky and Rep. Sean Casten are joining a slowly growing group calling for impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump.
Lake County | Boil order lifted in Vernon Hills areaA boil order that affected more than 1,300 homes and businesses in the Vernon Hills and Mettawa areas has been lifted, allowing normal use of water by those impacted.
Crime | Former assistant to Geneva attorney gets 4½ years prison for 'pure greed' in $75K theftCalling it a crime of "pure greed," a Kane County judge sentenced a Bartlett man to 4½ years in prison Thursday for stealing more than $75,000 from a Geneva attorney while working as his personal assistant.
Crime | Four men robbed after 'MeetMe' dates in ElginFour men who arranged to meet women for dates using the smartphone app "MeetMe" were robbed in the last week in Elgin, and police are asking any other victims to come forward.
- 6:01 PMNRA sues ex-president Oliver North, saying he harmed the NRA
- 5:52 PMGovernor sends police after GOP senators who fled Capitol
- 5:35 PMPlot that wounded Ortiz unraveled because of many mistakes
- 5:30 PMMan sentenced for fatal shooting near police headquarters
- 5:29 PMSelect few allowed to swim in Hearst Castle pools
More Suburban News Find your community
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove Environmental Action Team turns 10
- RoselleDuPage may require background checks, inspections for adult businesses
- Glen EllynTwo redevelopment proposals floated for McChesney site in Glen Ellyn
- Aurora4½ years prison for Aurora man charged with spying on ex with hidden cameras, secret GPS
- ElginGretchen Vapnar opposed Elgin domestic violence shelter in the '70s. Now it's named after her.
- WaukeganWaukegan man accused of trying to sell stolen equipment to owner
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect business shuts down amid 'burnt cheese' odor complaints
- Des PlainesGurnee man accused of shooting two people in Maine Township
- BloomingdaleState's attorney: Bloomingdale officers justified in fatal shooting of Carol Stream man
- SchaumburgSchaumburg man died from multiple gunshot wounds
- Rolling MeadowsRunner-up in Rolling Meadows mayoral race wants a primary next time
- WheatonChristopher Zaruba recommended for vacant Wheaton City Council seat
- 11:20 AMFight the bite! West Nile virus season is here
- 11:19 AMSign up for Rosary's Summer Cheer Clinic
- 11:08 AMMundelein Hosts Groundbreaking Ceremony to Commence Construction on New Public Works and Engineering Complex
- 11:08 AMCLC adjunct sociology professor wins state Outstanding Faculty award
- 11:03 AMTroop 209 honors its newest Eagle Scout
- 10:04 AMMarklund Wasmond Center to host Summer Games
- 8:20 AMHunger Doesn't Take a Summer Vacation in Wheeling Township
- 12:55 AMSign up by July 26 for Summer Cheer Clinic
Through the Film Magnifier: Barry Manilow, Deadheads, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Connors, a fishing derby and more
Inside Daily Herald