Fireworks, concert highlight Elk Grove Rotary Fest
For the first time ever, Elk Grove Rotary Fest will be held in conjunction with the village's Mid-Summer Classics Concert Series.
The festival opens Wednesday, July 20, and runs through Sunday, July 24, at Rotary Green, 164 Lions Drive, next to Elk Grove High School. Hours are 6-10:30 p.m. Wednesday, 4-10:30 p.m. Thursday, 6 p.m. to midnight Friday, 2 p.m. to midnight Saturday and 2 to 9 p.m. Sunday. Admission and parking are free.
Festivalgoers can relive the '80s when Rick Springfield takes the stage at 7:30 p.m. Thursday as part of the concert series.
The festival's Friday lineup includes Simply Elton at 6:45 p.m. and The Boy Band Night at 9:30 p.m. On Saturday, Mr. Myers will play at 3:45 p.m., Starlight City at 7:15 p.m., and 7th heaven at 10 p.m., after the fireworks display.
Concertgoers are encouraged to bring blankets and chairs.
But there's more to the fest than music:
• A Fantasy Amusement Co. carnival will take place all five days, with wristbands for unlimited rides available for $25-$35 per session.
• The festival's website promises the "largest fireworks display in village history" at 9:30 p.m. Saturday. The fireworks from the canceled Independence Day concert will be added to this show.
• A beer garden will sell wine, beer and seltzer.
• The Taste of Elk Grove Food Court will be open during festival hours Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Vendors include R & S Concession, Rep's Place, Barone's, Churro Babes, Vini's Pizza, Greek Delights, Doggie's Concessions, Flynn D City Grub, Tri Cafe and EGV Fireman Corn Roasters.
• There will be a 50/50 raffle Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Dogs are not allowed, and there will be no car show this year. Only the carnival rides and carnival food will operate Wednesday, July 20, and Sunday, July 24.
The festival is a fundraising event for the Elk Grove Rotary Club. Funds raised will be donated to local charities such as food pantries and organizations supporting literacy and helping the homeless. Funds also help fund international projects, including clean water.
Visit www.elkgroverotaryfest.com for details.