Communities » Mount Prospect Area News
8-year-old leukemia survivor meets her stem cell donor from AustriaWith her parents beside her Thursday, 8-year-old leukemia survivor Sabrina Chahir gleefully met the third person to whom she owes her life. Maximilian Eule, a 30-year-old German citizen, traveled from his current home in Austria to Schaumburg where he saw the Mount Prospect girl whom he saved through a 2011 stem cell donation. “Well, I was looking for a big surprise, and that’s what I got," Sabrina said.Last Updated Mar 5, 2015 9:36 PM
Man steals $500 of vodka from storeUpdated Mar 5, 2015 7:29 AM
Police are searching for a person who stole 13 bottles of vodka from Jewel-Osco in Mount Prospect.
Mt. Prospect objects to Gov. Rauner's proposed cutUpdated Mar 5, 2015 5:53 AM
Mount Prospect has joined the growing chorus of local governments strongly objecting to Gov. Bruce Rauner's plans to cut the Local Government Distributive Fund in half. “We're penalized for doing all the right things. That's just blatantly wrong,” Trustee Paul Hoefert said.
Water pipeline move begins; costs $73 millionUpdated Feb 27, 2015 3:30 PM
Massive pipes carrying water to northwest Cook residents are being moved starting this week to make way for I-90 expansion. Will the $73 million cost mean a rate hike? Not necessarily, the water agency director says.
- More community news
- Northwest suburban police blotter
- Lincolnshire entrepreneur has global reach
- Images: The Week in Pictures
- Author appearances: Mary Doria Russell signs books in Gurnee
- Images: Photo Contest Finalists
Mount Prospect Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Be bold, get cold for Special Olympics Illinois in Lake Bluff on Saturday
- Lake County 4-H holds International Festival
- Mt. Prospect celebrates its ‘Shining Stars’ at Celestial Celebration
- Illinois Gun Owner Lobby Day Wednesday, March 18, 2015
- Capannari Ice Cream honored with Blue Ribbon Small Business Award
- AOIIs, guests ‘Focus on Fun’ at annual auction March 15
- Northwestern College earns Better Business Bureau’s Complaint Free Award
- Gwen Rich, cancer survior and warrior brings awareness every Wednesdays, on Blog Talk Radio, www.blogtalkradio.com/imagebygwen at 10:00a.m. CST.
- Why You Should Try Yoga Kurunta or Rope Wall Yoga
- Next phase begins on Mt. Prospect’s Central School
- Sentimental summer gathering of sorority sisters enjoys lunch at Blackfinn. Alumnae members of Northwest Suburban Alumnae Club plan philanthropic events and social gatherings. Since 1961, Alpha Gam women have shared a common goal to contribute to the world's work in their community. Front row L to R: Bonnie Everhard, Barbara Benson, Nancy Clauser, Sandra Enright. Back row L to R : Pat Smith, Mary Herther, Barbara Willmarth, Kay Bradley, Louann Lawson, Reta Holmgren, Cherrie Wickstrom, Sue Rogers. Pat Smith, Alpha Gamma Delta Publicity Chair
- Roger and Betty Chindberg, 57-year residents of Wheeling, celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary on May 7th. Roger is retired from the Village of Arlington Heights where he worked in the water department. Betty is retired from School District 214 were she spent 21 years working in Wheeling High School cafeteria, and just recently at the age of 81 stopped working part time at Dovemuehle Mortgage. Their daughters Kelly Chindberg, Tracy (Frank) Witkus and Rory Chindberg are planning a party for them on the 10th of May. Their grandchildren, Gabriel Witkus and Beau (Alison) Witkus and three great grandchildren, Trinity, Christopher and Adalynn are all excited to be decorating and sharing the wonderful day with them. Tracy Witkus
- Claire Froehlicher (age 9) worked with school administrators for over a year to host a school-wide walk to raise money for JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Over $6,100 was raised. Over 500 students and staff "walked a mile for JDRF" submitting paper shoes with the names of every donor that sponsored their walk. Colleen Froehlicher
- Claire Froehlicher (age 9) and Meagan Froehlicher (age 19) stand in front of the wall of shoes after a successful walk to raise money for JDRF was held at Ivy Hill Elementary School. Claire worked with school administrators for more than a year to make this walk happen. Raising funds for JDRF is important to Claire as her older sister has been living with type 1 diabetes for over 8 years Colleen Froehlicher
- Dan Serrano of Barrington was just one of many Harper students to stop by the National Save a Life Tour in the College's Student Center April 2. The tour's state-of-the-art simulators recreate the experience of driving under the influence of alcohol and driving while texting in an effort to make students aware of the dangers of high risk behavior. This event was sponsored by Campus Activities Board. Harper College News Bureau
- Saint Alphonsus recently held their family campout in the field behind the school. A bonfire, s'mores, balloon launching and an outdoor movie were just some of the fun events held on a beautiful evening. Hamburgers and hotdogs were also grilled for the many hungry campers.
- Before a round of golf at famous Bandon Dunes Resort in Oregon, I took an early morning walk and came upon this footpath to the beach. August 26, 2013. Richard Ruebe
- The 8th grade girls Hersey Huskies feeder team won the Northern Illinois Girls Feeder Association chamionship this season. The team's 3 year league record was 70 - 1. k. burnetti
- Christian Liberty Academy team praying before the game Eileen Glad
- 2012-13 Christian Liberty's 1st Baseball Regional Win!! 5-18-13 6-0. Winning pitcher, only pitcher Senior David Colbert. Team won this together. Great plays by Aaron Karr, Shawn Andersen, Juan Pagan, Aaron Cunningham and last out caught by Brendan Brosnan. David did an awesome job pitching and catching line drives at the mount. Freshman Tim Laskowski, Peter Grob and Jimmy Calkins thanks for getting on base in order to score. Aaron Karr, Shawn Andersen, way to move our players on the bases with your great hits-triples and doubles and Daniel Glad and JD for your great catches. This was definitely a team playing together to win the victory. Eileen Glad
- Barrington High School Gymnast, Danny Schnura places 1st in All-Around at Friday's Freshman Invitational in Hinsdale. Eleven schools competed and Barrington High School finished 4th for overall team. Go Broncos! T. Lauderdale
- On July 4, 2013, Sen. John McCain meets with Brian Gilligan, right, Commander, U.S. Navy Reserve, and Mount Prospect resident. McCain came to Kabul, Afghanistan along with Sen. Lindsay Graham and six other Senators to meet with troops and participate in several other meetings and briefings with Afghanistan and U.S. officials. Gilligan is a Commander in Navy Reserve, and is currently assigned as Chief, External Relations, at the International Security Assistance Force International Joint Command, and he helped plan for Senator McCain's visit to the the IJC. Gilligan will be returning home from his deployment in the September-October timeframe. COL Alan Shumate, ISAF, International Joint Commander, Kabul, AFG
- This beautiful doe was feasting on some frosty leaves this morning in Prospect Heights. Tina Haisman
- Harper College's fountain on the Euclid Road side of the campus Frank P. Sesko Ed. D.
- Sarah and George Naxera show off their delicious sample plate from one of the many restaurants that attend the Around the World Food Tasting. This year's event is scheduled for Tuesday, October 21st at Arlington Toyota-Scion from 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM. More information can be found at www.clearbrook.org/aroundtheworld Clearbrook
- Tim Koll as the title role of Joseph, and Julia Macholl as the Narrator in Theatre Nebula's "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" in its final 2 weeks at Cutting Hall in Palatine, September 20-29, 2013. Cutting Hall- Michael P. Noens
Fireworks and summer fun!
Melas Park Fireworks-Mount Prospect -July 4, 2013 JustDar
- Our Golden Retriever, Shamrock, sits out in our backyard in Mount Prospect enjoying the sunshine on Saturday Morning, June 1, 2013 Joe Cruitt
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- The John Hersey High School Marching Band of Arlington Heights opens its competition season by placing both third in its class and third overall out of 27 bands at the Chicagoland Marching Band Festival in Wheeling on Sept. 22. Denis Jones
- The John Hersey High School Band of Arlington Heights proves a fan favorite at the Illinois State University Invitational High School Marching Band Championship in Normal on October 12. The band won the "Crowd Appeal" award for its show "Revolution." The band placed third in its class and eighth overall out of 35 bands. Sue Conolly
Jay Renaud, Hersey Head Cross Country Coach runs Chicago Marathon
Jay runs over to give out high fives to his cross country athletes who were there to cheer him on at the 13 mile marker. He finished the race in 2:53:59. Brendan Cunningham
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Grayson Parmenter, 3, of Mount Prospect, proudly leads the band in a "Marching Experience" with PMK band members at the Prospect Marching Knights "Day as a Knight" fun fair on Aug. 12. Prospect Band Boosters/ B-L Pellicore
- The Littelfuse executive team led by Gordon Hunter, Chief Executive Officer, center left, along with Mayor Arlene Juracek, center right, and Village of Mount Prospect officials celebrated the opening of the new technology center with a special ribbon cutting ceremony March 18. Littelfuse, Inc.
Aaron Gabriel Prep Sports Editor
Charles Keeshan Deputy City Editor
Jeff Knox Senior Director of Photography
Norrine Twohey Community News Coordinator
Renee Trappe Assistant Managing Editor/Local News
More Mount Prospect News
- Mount Prospect Business
- Mt. Prospect girl meets her German stem cell donor
- Lincolnshire entrepreneur has global reach
- Water pipeline for seven towns moving this week
- Mt. Prospect might swap who owes transfer tax
- Mount Prospect Entertainment
- Author appearances: Mary Doria Russell signs books in Gurnee
- Life Story: Mary Van Wazer dedicated her career to children
- Mount Prospect Discussion
- Endorsements: Hoefert, Korn, Rogers in Mount Prospect
- Mt. Prospect in way of airport expansion
- Rauner is prepared to fix Illinois
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Elk Grove High School
- 500 W. Elk Grove Blvd.
Elk Grove Village, Il 60007
- Forest Green/New Gold
- Prospect High School
- 801 W. Kensington Rd.
Mount Prospect, Il 60056
- Navy Blue/Columbia Blue
- Wheeling High School
- 900 S. Elmhurst Rd.
Wheeling, Il 60090
- Royal Blue/Athletic Gold/White
Daily Herald Communities
- Where Friendliness is a Way of Life
- 42.065427, -87.936217
- Cook County