North Suburban YMCA Keeps the Community Together Through Online Programming and Services
Although closed to the public, the North Suburban YMCA has been busy bringing the community together through a variety of online initiatives to help its neighbors stay connected, healthy, and engaged during the shelter at home order.
A variety of virtual programming is currently available on nsymca.org, and more options for April programming will be available soon. The Y's current online initiatives include:
• NSYMCA VIRTUAL FITNESS -- The features local instructors as well as national YMCA videos to keep the community healthy. Facebook live classes are also offered for an interactive experience. The classes now available on the website include Cardio & HIIT, Cardio & Strength, Strength, Barre, Bootcamp, Mind & Body (Yoga), Adult, Tai Chi & Youth, with more to come.
• NSYMCA Community Boards --Community members can interact, get ideas, ask for help, have virtual fun, or ask questions. The Y's Boards include:
• Brighten Someone's Day - The Y is partnering with Covenant Living and other senior homes to bring love and inspiration to seniors and anyone in the community who may be struggling with isolation. The Y is asking the community to upload a video, a picture, or a card to be sent to local residents.
• Sunset Foods Delivery Messages- The Y is working with Sunset Foods to include inspirational notes and art made by Y families and local schools to include in their deliveries.
• NSYMCA Community -- Ask membership or specific Y questions
• Adult Programming -- Includes Brain games, the NSYMCA social club, Caregivers support group and other senior programming
• Senior Activities
o Brain games -- Tuesdays at 1pm & Fridays at 9:15am
o NSYMCA Social Club -- The Community can join for camaraderie and a meal if participants want to eat along with the meeting. For more information, contact Karen Brownlee, email@example.com
o Caregivers Support Group -- Fridays at 10:30am
o Adult Education Seminars -- contact Karen Brownlee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Health & Wellness -- Tips, workouts, questions answered
• Performing Arts -- Keeps the kids dancing with fee-based virtual classes
• Visual Arts -- Check in for art plans, fee-based virtual classes and artist ideas for everyone
• Special Olympics -- Stay in touch with the Special Olympics team
• Youth Development -- Offers activities, questions, websites, and fun for kids
• Smartlab -- S.T.E.A.M (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Maintenance) fee-based programming for kids
• Camp -- Summer Camp updates
• Community Check-In form -- Residents can sign up to receive a call or make a call to someone who is feeling isolated.
• NSYMCA - Community Fitness Challenges -- Encourages members to work out to reach 30,000 minutes of exercise. People can track their minutes through the Y app, Facebook, email, or the Wellness Community boards.
For more information visit nsymca.org or contact Kim Nyren at email@example.com .
About the North Suburban YMCA
The North Suburban YMCA services Northbrook and 14 surrounding communities with programs and tools that help its residents become healthier, more connected, and confident, ensuring that everyone, regardless of age, income, or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive. The NSYMCA focuses on Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility and is a charitable organization, inclusive and welcoming to all in our community. Learn more at NSYMCA.org