Communities » Northfield Area News
Accusations fly in 10th Congressional ABC 7 debateThe first question was about civility in politics. But Saturday’s debate between 10th Congressional District Rep. Bob Dold and challenger Brad Schneider soon had accusations flying.Last Updated Oct 23, 2016 12:05 AM
Naperville firefighter arrested in Elgin on child porn chargesUpdated Oct 21, 2016 3:41 PM
An Elgin man — a Naperville firefighter — has been charged with five counts of child pornography after police searched his home Thursday.
Did courthouse custodians counteract Cubs curse?Updated Oct 20, 2016 10:04 PM
If the billy goat curse that has plagued the Chicago Cubs since 1945 has been lifted, fans might have a pair of workers at the Rolling Meadows third district courthouse to thank for it.
9th Congressional candidates differ on how many Syrian refugees to allowUpdated Oct 20, 2016 6:50 PM
How many Syrian refugees should the U.S. allow in? The two candidates running for the 9th Congressional District – Democratic U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky and Republican Joan McCarthy Lasonde – have starkly different opinions.
Imprisoned Elgin man charged with child rapeUpdated Oct 20, 2016 6:32 PM
A 35-year-old Elgin man in prison for a weapons offense has been charged with sexual assault of a child.
Dold way ahead of Schneider when it comes to campaign cashUpdated Oct 18, 2016 6:14 PM
As the race for Illinois’ 10th District seat in Congress nears the finish line, Republican U.S. Rep. Bob Dold’s campaign war chest dwarfs Democrat Brad Schneider’s cache.
Merge or not? Voters have final say in recorder, clerk officesUpdated Oct 18, 2016 6:12 PM
The Cook County Board of Commissioners voted 10-5 in July to allow voters to say whether the recorder’s office should be eliminated and services merged with the clerk’s office. If the proposal is approved by voters, the merger could be completed by 2020.
Round Lake Beach hosts upcoming debatesUpdated Oct 18, 2016 12:57 PM
The Round Lake Beach Cultural & Civic Cente will host candidate debates Sunday, Oct. 23 and Tuesday, Oct. 25 featuring hopefuls for Congress, the state legislature and Lake County officers.
A-minus at Loyola Academy fueled ‘Westworld’ creatorUpdated Oct 18, 2016 6:26 AM
‘Westworld’ creator Jonathan “Jonah” Nolan was inspired to write movies and TV by a Loyola Academy teacher.
- How tollway's 'smart road' could make your commute easier
- Water reclamation district salaries average nearly $100,000
- Glenbrook North pulls away late at Maine West
Recently shared by others
- COD Offers New Learning Community Classes for Spring 2017
- Writers Read Featuring COD Alums Draws Huge Crowds
- Local Historian to Speak in November About Cherry Mine Disaster, OLA School Fire
- COD Builds World-Class Electronics Trainers Funded by Perkins Grant
- Get your order in for annual Corned Beef Sale
- COD Nursing Student Named BrightStar Midwest Caregiver of the Year
- Private Illinois Colleges and Universities Transfer Fair Set For Nov. 2
- COD to Host Dr. Damon Williams Presentation Oct. 24
- The Springs at Monarch Landing Introduces Enriched Living Model
- Surgical Assistant Technologist Program Awarded for 90 Percent Pass Rate
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
- ComEd President and CEO Anne Pramaggiore led employees from ComEd and their family members during an environmental volunteer outing at the Chicago Botanic Garden on Saturday, April 27, to celebrate the end of National Volunteer Week (April 21-27). photo courtesy of Exelon
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
- Dandelion Gallery in Waukegan will honor Hispanic Heritage Month with a large installation by Mexican-American emerging artist Katrina Davis-Salazar titled "Oración de los Números: Economizing Memory, Sanity, & Hours." This show will coincide with ArtWauk and also will include work by 23 talented member artists. Opening reception will be 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 at Dandelion Gallery, 109 S. Genesee St. Davis-Salazar's works will be priced from $12 to $500 and sold in interactive ways that resemble a warehouse sale. Katrina Davis Salazar
- I was a former Des Plaines resident and retired to Arizona in 2008. In Illinois I was a physical education teacher within the Chicago Public Schools for 34 years.....now I am employed as an Instructional Assistant within the Scottsdale School system. My new joy out here is hiking the many trails within the Sonoran McDowell Mountain Area. I came upon this Western Diamondback Rattlesnake during a hike a couple weeks ago....it was quite agitated but at least warned me with a very loud rattle! :) Gary Wojton
More Northfield News
- Northfield Sports
- Glenbrook North pulls away late at Maine West
- Did courthouse custodians counteract Cubs curse?
- Fate smiles on Vernon Hills at Glenbrook North
- Northfield Business
- Merge or not? Voters have final say in recorder, clerk offices
- Dold, Schneider still at odds over Affordable Care Act
- Why cost of soda could surge in Cook County
- Suburbs call Cook County sick leave law ‘complete overreach,’ prepare to opt out
- Northfield Entertainment
- Suburban English teacher’s A-minus fueled ‘Westworld’ creator
- Northfield Opinion
- Endorsement: Patlak for Cook Board of Review Dist. 1
- Endorsement: Yes to merge recorder, clerk in Cook
- Endorsement: Shapiro as Cook County circuit court clerk
- Endorsement: Schakowsky for Congress in 9th District
- Endorsement: Kim Foxx for Cook County state’s attorney
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.101927, -87.775079