Communities » Glenview Area News
Lake County kids connect with natureChildren got a chance to play with nature indoors Thursday at the Greenbelt Cultural Center in North Chicago.Last Updated Feb 11, 2016 5:00 PM
Nonprofit to host ‘honest’ conversation about marijuanaUpdated Feb 11, 2016 4:34 PM
The Maine Community Youth Assistance Foundation is inviting parents and teens to have “An Honest Conversation About Marijuana” Wednesday, Feb. 17, at Maine South High School. The free event is open to all parents and teens in Maine Township High School District 207, middle school parents in Districts 62, 63 and 64, and community residents.
District 207 looking into complaints about Maine South poolUpdated Feb 9, 2016 6:09 PM
Officials are investigating reports that contamination of the pool at Maine South High School in Park Ridge is causing breathing problems for members of the boys swimming team. Team members began reporting their issues to school officials late last month.
Cook County sheriff: Sex sting netted 79 would-be ‘johns’Updated Feb 9, 2016 4:23 PM
Cook County arrested 79 would-be South suburban “johns” in a coordinated nationwide sting operation between Jan. 17 and Feb. 7.
Ingredion to acquire China corn products producerUpdated Feb 9, 2016 12:59 PM
Ingredion Inc., announced it will acquire Shandong Huanong Specialty Corn Development Co., Ltd. in Pingyuan County, Shandong Province, China, from the Pingyuan County Juyuan State-Owned Asset Management Co., Ltd.
Preckwinkle: Restore state funding or we'll cut staff, servicesUpdated Feb 9, 2016 8:30 AM
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle says Illinois' eight-month budget impasse is putting nearly $225 million in revenue at risk for the county. She says her administration will lay off staff and cut child support services and programs to reduce recidivism, among others, if there's no resolution by summer.
Ted Cruz to headline suburban event days before Illinois primaryUpdated Feb 8, 2016 11:50 AM
Republican hopeful Sen. Ted Cruz is set to keynote a dinner in the suburbs March 11.
Des Plaines-area man arrested in connection with burglariesUpdated Feb 7, 2016 6:01 PM
An 18-year-old Des Plaines-area man was behind bars Sunday facing charges stemming from a pair of recent home burglaries, Cook County authorities said.
Peak performance for Wheeling in victory over Maine EastUpdated Feb 9, 2016 11:00 PM
Wheeling boys basketball coach Michael O’Keeffe has his Wildcats peaking at the right time. Wheeling, which had struggled through the first 3 months of the season, won its second game in a row Tuesday, beating Maine East 51-46 in a nonconference matchup.
- Images: Wheeling vs. Maine East boys basketball
- Ten stories you may have missed this weekend
Recently shared by others
- Woodlands Academy, Chicago Visitors Champion Malala’s Quest for Girls’ Education
- Teen Brings Harmony to The Springs at Monarch Landing
- Feb. 19: The Peking Acrobats 30th Anniversary Tour dazzles at CLC
- Puppet Workshop at Heller Nature Center An all-inclusive puppet workshop
- Feb. 25: CLC presents benefit performances of ‘The Vagina Monologues’
- The Wellness Source hosts free heart health workshop Saturday, February 20.
- The Wellness Source to host free ‘Half Hour to Health’ lecture Saturday, February 6.
- Get Sidetracked At The New Barrel Crossing Tap & Grill
- Exchange students seeking host families for 2016-17 school year
- Clean Cities Coalitions to host environmental conference
Local singing group, The Park Ridge Chorale, is seeking local World War II veterans to interview about their WW II experiences for inclusion in the historical narrative of their April 25 concert, “The Greatest Hits of the Greatest Generation”. “We will have some historical narration throughout the concert and would like to include a few personal veterans’ stories,” said Ed Zelnis, director of the chorale. “We plan to provide special seating for them at the concert as well.” The concert is Saturday, April 25, 7 p.m., St. Luke’s Lutheran Church, 250 N. Prospect, Parke Ridge.
Local WW II veterans are encouraged to call Rhet O’Neill, 847-699-8901, for more information. Adrienne Dimopoulos
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
- ComEd President and CEO Anne Pramaggiore led employees from ComEd and their family members during an environmental volunteer outing at the Chicago Botanic Garden on Saturday, April 27, to celebrate the end of National Volunteer Week (April 21-27). photo courtesy of Exelon
- (l-r) Jill Silbar of Vernon Hills is joined by daughters Emma and Maddy as they receive manicures from Midtown Athletic Club nail technician Agnes Wielogorski. Gearing up for Mothers Day, The Spa at Midtown Bannockburn is inviting all moms and daughters to a special day of massages, manicures, pedicures, make up and more, on Thursday, May 9, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Cost is just $30 per person and includes two luxurious spa treatments each. To schedule an appointment, contact The Spa at (847) 945-1818 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Courtesy of Midtown Athletic Club
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Saturday afternoon, my daughter, Andrea, hiked to the top of Lions Peak in Cape Town, South Africa with friends and then clouds rolled in. Taken by Andrea's friend, Bridget.
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
More Glenview News
- Glenview Sports
- Peak performance for Wheeling in victory over Maine East
- Images: Wheeling vs. Maine East boys basketball
- District 207 looking into complaints about Maine South pool
- Cooper, Hersey produce against Glenbrook South
- Glenview Business
- Ingredion to acquire China corn products producer
- Why it's harder to get rid of your old TV
- Glenview Entertainment
- Volunteer to help the environment
- No new cases of horse virus; suburban owners taking no chances
- Cook County pet spay/neuter discount program returns
- Glenview Opinion
- We endorse Schneider to take on Rep. Dold
- Endorsement: Foxx over Alvarez for Cook state’s attorney in Democratic primary
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Glenbrook North High School
- 2300 Shermer Rd.
Northbrook, Il 60062
- Dark Green/Gold
- Glenbrook South High School
- 4000 W. Lake Av.
Glenview, Il 60026
- Maine East High School
- 2601 W. Dempster St.
Park Ridge, Il 60068
- Blue Demons
- Royal Blue/White
- Maine South High School
- 1111 S. Dee Rd.
Park Ridge, Il 60068
- New Trier High School
- 385 Winnetka Av.
Winnetka, Il 60093
Daily Herald Communities
- A Great Place to Live, Work and Play
- 60025, 60026
- 42.079391, -87.815622
- Cook County