Communities » Northbrook Area News
Naperville firefighter arrested in Elgin on child porn chargesAn Elgin man — a Naperville firefighter — has been charged with five counts of child pornography after police searched his home Thursday.Last Updated Oct 21, 2016 3:41 PM
Did courthouse custodians counteract Cubs curse?Updated Oct 20, 2016 10:04 PM
If the billy goat curse that has plagued the Chicago Cubs since 1945 has been lifted, fans might have a pair of workers at the Rolling Meadows third district courthouse to thank for it.
9th Congressional candidates differ on how many Syrian refugees to allowUpdated Oct 20, 2016 6:50 PM
How many Syrian refugees should the U.S. allow in? The two candidates running for the 9th Congressional District – Democratic U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky and Republican Joan McCarthy Lasonde – have starkly different opinions.
Imprisoned Elgin man charged with child rapeUpdated Oct 20, 2016 6:32 PM
A 35-year-old Elgin man in prison for a weapons offense has been charged with sexual assault of a child.
Dold way ahead of Schneider when it comes to campaign cashUpdated Oct 18, 2016 6:14 PM
As the race for Illinois’ 10th District seat in Congress nears the finish line, Republican U.S. Rep. Bob Dold’s campaign war chest dwarfs Democrat Brad Schneider’s cache.
Merge or not? Voters have final say in recorder, clerk officesUpdated Oct 18, 2016 6:12 PM
The Cook County Board of Commissioners voted 10-5 in July to allow voters to say whether the recorder’s office should be eliminated and services merged with the clerk’s office. If the proposal is approved by voters, the merger could be completed by 2020.
Round Lake Beach hosts upcoming debatesUpdated Oct 18, 2016 12:57 PM
The Round Lake Beach Cultural & Civic Cente will host candidate debates Sunday, Oct. 23 and Tuesday, Oct. 25 featuring hopefuls for Congress, the state legislature and Lake County officers.
A-minus at Loyola Academy fueled ‘Westworld’ creatorUpdated Oct 18, 2016 6:26 AM
‘Westworld’ creator Jonathan “Jonah” Nolan was inspired to write movies and TV by a Loyola Academy teacher.
How tollway's 'smart road' could make your commute easierUpdated Oct 17, 2016 2:10 PM
What are those steel gantries appearing on I-90? Welcome to the new smart corridor debuting soon on the Jane Addams Tollway, offering lane change info and real-time traffic reports.
- Water reclamation district salaries average nearly $100,000
- Glenbrook North pulls away late at Maine West
- Benner added, Keating promoted at Astellas
Recently shared by others
- Neighbors in the News: Des Plaines schools staff honored for videos, handbooks
- COD Offers New Learning Community Classes for Spring 2017
- Writers Read Featuring COD Alums Draws Huge Crowds
- Local Historian to Speak in November About Cherry Mine Disaster, OLA School Fire
- Transformational Yoga Breath Workshop at YMCA Ignites Energy and Potential
- COD Builds World-Class Electronics Trainers Funded by Perkins Grant
- Get your order in for annual Corned Beef Sale
- COD Nursing Student Named BrightStar Midwest Caregiver of the Year
- Susan Anne Russell exhibition Mixed Palettes 2016
- Former Trinity President Kenneth Meyer dies at age 83
- 9-1-1 Director Robert Kujawa congratulates Telecommunicator Brian Riley with the "Telecommunicator of the Year" award during the awards ceremony at the Northbrook Police Department. Becky Nelson
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
- ComEd President and CEO Anne Pramaggiore led employees from ComEd and their family members during an environmental volunteer outing at the Chicago Botanic Garden on Saturday, April 27, to celebrate the end of National Volunteer Week (April 21-27). photo courtesy of Exelon
- Gil Heinrich, former U.S. Army Corporal and Covenant Village of Northbrook resident, shares a hug with Ageless Aviation pilot Mike Sommar after his flight. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Former U.S. Army Private First Class and Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Ken Erickson is all smiles after his flight with Ageless Aviation in the open cockpit of a Boeing Stearman. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Tom Nelson (former Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army) is ready to soar the Chicago skies in the Boeing Stearman thanks to Ageless Aviation. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- WWII airplane enthusiast and Covnenat Village of Northbrook resident, Jim Jacobsen gives the 'thumbs up' signal to the Ageless Aviation pilot, Mike Sommar right before take off. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Ed Mahon (former Private First Class, U.S. Army) shares his enthusiasm about the exhilarating open cockpit flight with Ageless Aviation staff Lynn and Mike Sommar. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Deerfield accounting firm Kessler Orlean Silver is serving as a local drop off location for the Vernon Hills-based Sports Shed, a non-profit organization which has distributed more than 5,000 pieces of sports equipment to organizations that provide sports programs for kids in need all over the Chicago area. Donations can be delivered to KOS at 1101 Lake Cook Road, Suite C, Deerfield. Pictured are, from left, KOS managing partner Jeff Arnol of Deerfield; Sports Shed founder Tina Sernett of Vernon Hills; KOS partner Ben Darcy of Buffalo Grove; and manager Diana Angulo of Harwood Heights. Dave Silbar
- Armed with a mission to provide underprivileged children around the world with the opportunity to play, compete and enjoy sports through access to equipment, Northbrook-based youth charity Gear for Goals recently boosted their efforts in Latin America by connecting traveler and supporter Larry Baum with a good cause. During the effort, Baum combined a business trip with the opportunity to do good, delivering 400 lbs. of sports gear to grateful and enthusiastic kids in La Romana at the Ninos de Cristo orphanage. Gear for Goals' Compassion Program fosters hope for kids around the world by connecting travelers with much-needed sports gear. For more information on ways to help, visit http://www.Dreamweaver911.org. Dreamweaver International
- (l-r) Jill Silbar of Vernon Hills is joined by daughters Emma and Maddy as they receive manicures from Midtown Athletic Club nail technician Agnes Wielogorski. Gearing up for Mothers Day, The Spa at Midtown Bannockburn is inviting all moms and daughters to a special day of massages, manicures, pedicures, make up and more, on Thursday, May 9, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Cost is just $30 per person and includes two luxurious spa treatments each. To schedule an appointment, contact The Spa at (847) 945-1818 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Courtesy of Midtown Athletic Club
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
Liquid Fusion Cafe Lincolnshire Grand Opening
Pictured is the barrista counter of the anticipated grand opening of Liquid Fusion Cafe, 275 Parkway Drive, Suite 315 in Lincolnshire, will officially take place on Sept. 23 at 1 p.m. Johan Lee
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
Snow grillin' New Years Day, 2014
Natural snow formation on backyard grill. Virginia Johnson
- Dandelion Gallery in Waukegan will honor Hispanic Heritage Month with a large installation by Mexican-American emerging artist Katrina Davis-Salazar titled "Oración de los Números: Economizing Memory, Sanity, & Hours." This show will coincide with ArtWauk and also will include work by 23 talented member artists. Opening reception will be 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 at Dandelion Gallery, 109 S. Genesee St. Davis-Salazar's works will be priced from $12 to $500 and sold in interactive ways that resemble a warehouse sale. Katrina Davis Salazar
More Northbrook News
- Northbrook Sports
- Glenbrook North pulls away late at Maine West
- Did courthouse custodians counteract Cubs curse?
- Fate smiles on Vernon Hills at Glenbrook North
- Northbrook Business
- Benner added, Keating promoted at Astellas
- Merge or not? Voters have final say in recorder, clerk offices
- Dold, Schneider still at odds over Affordable Care Act
- Why cost of soda could surge in Cook County
- Suburbs call Cook County sick leave law ‘complete overreach,’ prepare to opt out
- Northbrook Entertainment
- Suburban English teacher’s A-minus fueled ‘Westworld’ creator
- Northbrook Opinion
- Endorsement: Patlak for Cook Board of Review Dist. 1
- Endorsement: Yes to merge recorder, clerk in Cook
- Endorsement: Shapiro as Cook County circuit court clerk
- Endorsement: Schakowsky for Congress in 9th District
- Endorsement: Kim Foxx for Cook County state’s attorney
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Glenbrook North High School
- 2300 Shermer Rd.
Northbrook, Il 60062
- Dark Green/Gold
- Glenbrook South High School
- 4000 W. Lake Av.
Glenview, Il 60026
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.129226, -87.840715