Communities » Northbrook Area News
Cook County Board spending way more on staffs than collar county boardsTaxpayers in Cook County spent $7.6 million last year to cover the costs of separate office staffs for each of the 17 county commissioners and President Toni Preckwinkle. That's close to what all five collar counties combined spent to operate their county boards.Last Updated Aug 31, 2016 8:01 AM
Sometimes-controversial medication steers Waukegan woman to recoveryUpdated Aug 29, 2016 9:31 AM
Danielle Davis of Waukegan is getting reacquainted with “normal” as she takes sometimes-controversial medication to help recover from a 10-year heroin addiction.
Medication, abstinence offer different roads to heroin recoveryPosted Aug 28, 2016 6:30 AM
As medication-assisted treatment for heroin addiction increases, advocates say it’s important to recognize there’s more than one route to recovery.
How Lake County ER doc’s medicine, compassion help opioid addictsPosted Aug 28, 2016 6:30 AM
A Waukegan emergency room physician has started a treatment clinic for opioid addicts, helping them find a medical route to recovery.
Flash flood warning for Northwest suburbs, McHenry CountyUpdated Aug 29, 2016 5:52 PM
A flash flood warning has been issued for parts of the suburbs.
Wheeling can’t keep pace with Glenbrook NorthUpdated Aug 27, 2016 12:32 AM
Glenbrook North jumped out to a 21-0 second quarter lead and managed to protect it the rest of the way in a 45-29 season-opening victory at Wheeling.
Recently shared by others
- College of DuPage Graduate Elected as IBHE Student Member
- College of DuPage Grad Takes Deep-Ocean Dive in Submergence Vehicle ‘Alvin’
- Tom Cullerton: Governor vetoes legislation to help caregivers for the developmentally disabled
- COD Students Celebrate Start of Fall 2016 Semester
- College of DuPage Cross-Country Opens Season Aug. 27
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Illinois to host two presentations at Sept. 25 meeting
- Highwood’s Sixth Annual Garlic Fest A Stinking Success
- Treat Yourself During Gurnee Mills Labor Day Super Sale, September 2 - 5
- Northern Illinois post offices will close for Labor Day
- Month-long Roadside Safety Check in West Chicago
- 9-1-1 Director Robert Kujawa congratulates Telecommunicator Brian Riley with the "Telecommunicator of the Year" award during the awards ceremony at the Northbrook Police Department. Becky Nelson
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
- ComEd President and CEO Anne Pramaggiore led employees from ComEd and their family members during an environmental volunteer outing at the Chicago Botanic Garden on Saturday, April 27, to celebrate the end of National Volunteer Week (April 21-27). photo courtesy of Exelon
- Gil Heinrich, former U.S. Army Corporal and Covenant Village of Northbrook resident, shares a hug with Ageless Aviation pilot Mike Sommar after his flight. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Former U.S. Army Private First Class and Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Ken Erickson is all smiles after his flight with Ageless Aviation in the open cockpit of a Boeing Stearman. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Tom Nelson (former Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army) is ready to soar the Chicago skies in the Boeing Stearman thanks to Ageless Aviation. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- WWII airplane enthusiast and Covnenat Village of Northbrook resident, Jim Jacobsen gives the 'thumbs up' signal to the Ageless Aviation pilot, Mike Sommar right before take off. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Ed Mahon (former Private First Class, U.S. Army) shares his enthusiasm about the exhilarating open cockpit flight with Ageless Aviation staff Lynn and Mike Sommar. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Deerfield accounting firm Kessler Orlean Silver is serving as a local drop off location for the Vernon Hills-based Sports Shed, a non-profit organization which has distributed more than 5,000 pieces of sports equipment to organizations that provide sports programs for kids in need all over the Chicago area. Donations can be delivered to KOS at 1101 Lake Cook Road, Suite C, Deerfield. Pictured are, from left, KOS managing partner Jeff Arnol of Deerfield; Sports Shed founder Tina Sernett of Vernon Hills; KOS partner Ben Darcy of Buffalo Grove; and manager Diana Angulo of Harwood Heights. Dave Silbar
- Armed with a mission to provide underprivileged children around the world with the opportunity to play, compete and enjoy sports through access to equipment, Northbrook-based youth charity Gear for Goals recently boosted their efforts in Latin America by connecting traveler and supporter Larry Baum with a good cause. During the effort, Baum combined a business trip with the opportunity to do good, delivering 400 lbs. of sports gear to grateful and enthusiastic kids in La Romana at the Ninos de Cristo orphanage. Gear for Goals' Compassion Program fosters hope for kids around the world by connecting travelers with much-needed sports gear. For more information on ways to help, visit http://www.Dreamweaver911.org. Dreamweaver International
- (l-r) Jill Silbar of Vernon Hills is joined by daughters Emma and Maddy as they receive manicures from Midtown Athletic Club nail technician Agnes Wielogorski. Gearing up for Mothers Day, The Spa at Midtown Bannockburn is inviting all moms and daughters to a special day of massages, manicures, pedicures, make up and more, on Thursday, May 9, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Cost is just $30 per person and includes two luxurious spa treatments each. To schedule an appointment, contact The Spa at (847) 945-1818 or email email@example.com . Courtesy of Midtown Athletic Club
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
Liquid Fusion Cafe Lincolnshire Grand Opening
Pictured is the barrista counter of the anticipated grand opening of Liquid Fusion Cafe, 275 Parkway Drive, Suite 315 in Lincolnshire, will officially take place on Sept. 23 at 1 p.m. Johan Lee
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
Snow grillin' New Years Day, 2014
Natural snow formation on backyard grill. Virginia Johnson
- Dandelion Gallery in Waukegan will honor Hispanic Heritage Month with a large installation by Mexican-American emerging artist Katrina Davis-Salazar titled "Oración de los Números: Economizing Memory, Sanity, & Hours." This show will coincide with ArtWauk and also will include work by 23 talented member artists. Opening reception will be 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 at Dandelion Gallery, 109 S. Genesee St. Davis-Salazar's works will be priced from $12 to $500 and sold in interactive ways that resemble a warehouse sale. Katrina Davis Salazar
More Northbrook News
- Northbrook Sports
- Wheeling can’t keep pace with Glenbrook North
- Montini wears conference target proudly
- Northbrook Business
- Medication, abstinence offer different roads to heroin recovery
- How Lake County ER doc’s medicine, compassion help opioid addicts
- Northbrook Entertainment
- ‘Kubo’ animator uses an artist’s eye and a mathematician’s mind
- Northbrook Opinion
- Take a stand to fight climate change
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Glenbrook North High School
- 2300 Shermer Rd.
Northbrook, Il 60062
- Dark Green/Gold
- Glenbrook South High School
- 4000 W. Lake Av.
Glenview, Il 60026
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.129226, -87.840715