Communities » Northbrook Area News
Cook County 2017 budget forecast predicts $175 million shortfallCook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle on Thursday projected an FY2017 operating shortfall of $174.3 million, driven in part by state budget gridlock, a growing legacy debt service and increased technology spending to upgrade outdated systems.Last Updated Jun 30, 2016 5:58 PM
Cook County voters will decide Recorder of Deeds future on November ballotUpdated Jun 29, 2016 5:47 PM
A historic referendum calling for the elimination of the Cook County Recorder of Deeds office and merging it with the Cook County Clerk’s office, will be on the November ballot in Cook County.
Preckwinkle nominates 5 to county Health, Hospitals System boardUpdated Jun 29, 2016 12:38 PM
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle has nominated five health experts to the governing board of the Cook County Health and Hospitals System.
Elgin private school owner plans to appeal $252K award in harassment caseUpdated Jun 27, 2016 5:42 PM
The owner of an Elgin private school for gifted students plans to appeal a $252,500 award for damages in a lawsuit that she harassed and abused then 13-year-old boy through texts and emails in summer 2008 in an effort to blackmail him into rekindling in a relationship with her daughter.
Rita’s Italian Ice plans 22 new locationsUpdated Jun 27, 2016 1:34 PM
Rita’s Italian Ice, based in Trevose, Pennsylvania with more than 600 stores in 30 states and 5 countries, plans to enter the Illinois market in DuPage, Will and Cook counties with 22 new stores.
NB Coatings expands in northwest IndianaUpdated Jun 29, 2016 8:40 AM
NB Coatings, a Japan-owned manufacturer of automotive coatings for plastics, recentlu broke ground on a new facility in Hobart, Indianan.
Elgin man faces prison, $1M fine after admitting bank fraudPosted Jun 25, 2016 1:00 AM
An Elgin man faces up to 30 years in prison and $1 million in restitution after pleading guilty to band fraud, money laundering and giving false testimony in a bankruptcy case.
Recently shared by others
- Three local Jewish genealogy programs planned for July
- Beanstalk Toyland & Bookstore Partners With Families Halping Families
- Tom Cullerton works to save thousands of Illinois jobs
- Local CrossFit athletes to join in ‘Row Raiser’ for Special Olympics Illinois
- Keep Hope Rolling: Bike Team Wheels through YMCA on July 26
- Calling All Golffers: GLMV Chamber of Commerce Annual Golf Outing 8/22 at Hawthorn Woods Country Club
- DuPage County schools may see a $27.5 million increase in plan supported by Tom Cullerton
- COD Hosts Free Prairie Tours this Summer
- Minority Contractors Association to host annual golf outing
- Library Board of Trustees Seeks New Member
- 9-1-1 Director Robert Kujawa congratulates Telecommunicator Brian Riley with the "Telecommunicator of the Year" award during the awards ceremony at the Northbrook Police Department. Becky Nelson
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
- ComEd President and CEO Anne Pramaggiore led employees from ComEd and their family members during an environmental volunteer outing at the Chicago Botanic Garden on Saturday, April 27, to celebrate the end of National Volunteer Week (April 21-27). photo courtesy of Exelon
- Gil Heinrich, former U.S. Army Corporal and Covenant Village of Northbrook resident, shares a hug with Ageless Aviation pilot Mike Sommar after his flight. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Former U.S. Army Private First Class and Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Ken Erickson is all smiles after his flight with Ageless Aviation in the open cockpit of a Boeing Stearman. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Tom Nelson (former Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army) is ready to soar the Chicago skies in the Boeing Stearman thanks to Ageless Aviation. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- WWII airplane enthusiast and Covnenat Village of Northbrook resident, Jim Jacobsen gives the 'thumbs up' signal to the Ageless Aviation pilot, Mike Sommar right before take off. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Covenant Village of Northbrook resident Ed Mahon (former Private First Class, U.S. Army) shares his enthusiasm about the exhilarating open cockpit flight with Ageless Aviation staff Lynn and Mike Sommar. Covenant Village of Northbrook
- Deerfield accounting firm Kessler Orlean Silver is serving as a local drop off location for the Vernon Hills-based Sports Shed, a non-profit organization which has distributed more than 5,000 pieces of sports equipment to organizations that provide sports programs for kids in need all over the Chicago area. Donations can be delivered to KOS at 1101 Lake Cook Road, Suite C, Deerfield. Pictured are, from left, KOS managing partner Jeff Arnol of Deerfield; Sports Shed founder Tina Sernett of Vernon Hills; KOS partner Ben Darcy of Buffalo Grove; and manager Diana Angulo of Harwood Heights. Dave Silbar
- Armed with a mission to provide underprivileged children around the world with the opportunity to play, compete and enjoy sports through access to equipment, Northbrook-based youth charity Gear for Goals recently boosted their efforts in Latin America by connecting traveler and supporter Larry Baum with a good cause. During the effort, Baum combined a business trip with the opportunity to do good, delivering 400 lbs. of sports gear to grateful and enthusiastic kids in La Romana at the Ninos de Cristo orphanage. Gear for Goals' Compassion Program fosters hope for kids around the world by connecting travelers with much-needed sports gear. For more information on ways to help, visit http://www.Dreamweaver911.org. Dreamweaver International
- (l-r) Jill Silbar of Vernon Hills is joined by daughters Emma and Maddy as they receive manicures from Midtown Athletic Club nail technician Agnes Wielogorski. Gearing up for Mothers Day, The Spa at Midtown Bannockburn is inviting all moms and daughters to a special day of massages, manicures, pedicures, make up and more, on Thursday, May 9, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Cost is just $30 per person and includes two luxurious spa treatments each. To schedule an appointment, contact The Spa at (847) 945-1818 or email email@example.com . Courtesy of Midtown Athletic Club
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Women gathered for a wonderful luncheon at the Inverness Golf Club April 30 to benefit JOURNEYS | The Road Home. JOURNEYS provides supportive services to over 1,300 homeless and at risk families and individuals annually. It also manages the PADS shelter program. The "Garden of Giving" Women's Luncheon raised nearly $8,000. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
Liquid Fusion Cafe Lincolnshire Grand Opening
Pictured is the barrista counter of the anticipated grand opening of Liquid Fusion Cafe, 275 Parkway Drive, Suite 315 in Lincolnshire, will officially take place on Sept. 23 at 1 p.m. Johan Lee
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
Snow grillin' New Years Day, 2014
Natural snow formation on backyard grill. Virginia Johnson
- Dandelion Gallery in Waukegan will honor Hispanic Heritage Month with a large installation by Mexican-American emerging artist Katrina Davis-Salazar titled "Oración de los Números: Economizing Memory, Sanity, & Hours." This show will coincide with ArtWauk and also will include work by 23 talented member artists. Opening reception will be 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 at Dandelion Gallery, 109 S. Genesee St. Davis-Salazar's works will be priced from $12 to $500 and sold in interactive ways that resemble a warehouse sale. Katrina Davis Salazar
More Northbrook News
- Northbrook Business
- Preckwinkle nominates 5 to county Health, Hospitals System board
- NB Coatings expands in northwest Indiana
- Rita’s Italian Ice plans 22 new locations
- Northbrook Entertainment
- Rita’s Italian Ice plans 22 new locations
- Bring your pets along for shelter’s ‘Walk of Love’ July 16
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Glenbrook North High School
- 2300 Shermer Rd.
Northbrook, Il 60062
- Dark Green/Gold
- Glenbrook South High School
- 4000 W. Lake Av.
Glenview, Il 60026
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.129226, -87.840715