Breaking News Bar
posted: 6/17/2013 4:23 PM

Ex-student pleads not guilty to Glenbard East graduation threat

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Michael Santoro

      Michael Santoro

 

A former Glenbard East student accused of planning a mass shooting at the Lombard high school's graduation ceremony has been indicted on one count of felony disorderly conduct, prosecutors said in court Monday.

Michael Santoro, 19, of Lombard, entered a formal plea of not guilty to the charge, which carries a maximum three years in prison but is also punishable by probation. His attorney has declined to comment.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Authorities say Santoro kept a journal with "very detailed" plans for a shooting at Glenbard East's graduation in May. He is accused of hatching the plot because he was unable to graduate from the school last year, authorities said.

Prosecutors said the teen outlined whom he would attack first and initially planned to target the school's deans.

Santoro wrote it would be "the saddest day in Lombard," according to prosecutors, who said he also was acquiring ammunition and had obtained a tactical vest, as well as aerial photographs of the school.

The plot was uncovered in February when an acquaintance of the defendant came forward, authorities said.

In court Monday, Assistant State's Attorney David Friedland said he had turned over 720 pages of evidence materials to Santoro's public defender. He said several photos and DVDs would be forthcoming.

Santoro remained in DuPage County jail and would have to post $50,000 to be released on bond. He also faces charges of drug paraphernalia possession and possession of ammunition without a valid firearm owners identification card.

The case was continued to July 22.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.