Communities » Addison Area News
Glen Ellyn business owner chosen to fill DuPage vacancyA Glen Ellyn business owner has been tapped to replace the late Jerry “JR” McBride on the DuPage County Board. Board Chairman Dan Cronin said Wednesday that Karyn M. Romano is his choice to fill the District 4 board seat that’s been vacant since McBride’s death on Oct. 24. The full board is scheduled to vote Dec. 9 on Romano’s appointment. “I’m thrilled and delighted that a person of her caliber, talent and work experience wants to serve,” Cronin said of Romano.Last Updated Nov 26, 2014 12:15 PM
Two hurt in Addison crashUpdated Nov 22, 2014 9:41 PM
Two people were injured in a crash that split their car into two pieces early Saturday in Addison, authorities said. Crews found the remnants of one vehicle that was “severely” damaged on the 2200 block of West Lake Street, Lt. Chris Mansfield said.
Eight finalists named for DuPage board vacancyUpdated Nov 21, 2014 5:12 PM
A former Glen Ellyn village president and the town’s village clerk are among eight finalists seeking to replace the late Jerry “JR” McBride on the DuPage County Board. County board Chairman Dan Cronin reviewed applications from 34 candidates interested in the District 4 board seat that’s been vacant since McBride’s death on Oct. 24. That list has since been narrowed down to the eight finalists.
Recently shared by others
- Extension offers tips on choosing perfect Christmas tree
- COD honors inaugural class of Distinguished Alumni
- Top ten tips for holiday food safety
- Friendship Village Introduces Skills Lab
- Sedgebrook Woodworker Brings New Life to Old Finds
- Self-published authors can enter Soon to Be Famous Illinois Author contest
- Seeds of good deeds at LCFS Harvest Gala
- Sedgebrook Honors Veterans
- Honor Flight a High Point For Woman Veteran at Sedgebrook
- A Safe Haven hosts sold-out 20th anniversary gala
- Garrett Ard and Lisa Dawn Foertsch rehearse for Wheaton Drama's special Broadway musical revue, "Broadway Ballot". Performances are Aug. 17-19 at Playhouse 111. Tickets and information at http://www.wheatondrama.org Steven Merkel
- Sentimental summer gathering of sorority sisters enjoys lunch at Blackfinn. Alumnae members of Northwest Suburban Alumnae Club plan philanthropic events and social gatherings. Since 1961, Alpha Gam women have shared a common goal to contribute to the world's work in their community. Front row L to R: Bonnie Everhard, Barbara Benson, Nancy Clauser, Sandra Enright. Back row L to R : Pat Smith, Mary Herther, Barbara Willmarth, Kay Bradley, Louann Lawson, Reta Holmgren, Cherrie Wickstrom, Sue Rogers. Pat Smith, Alpha Gamma Delta Publicity Chair
60th Anniversary of The Midnight Special 98.7fm NYE
Garnet Rogers, Beth Kaufman (Spuyten Duyvil), and Pat Wictor (Brother Sun) sing together at the finale of this momentous show. Melissa Dagenhart
- The Village of Lombard celebrates Arbor Day with the planting of an Ivory Silk Japanese Lilac tree in honor of the late Village President William J. Mueller. Attending the ceremony was the Mueller Family and St. Pius X students and their families. Village of Lombard
- Some of the 80-plus attendees at the June 27 combined Chambers of Commerce luncheon meeting with Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka, held in Addison on June 27
- Luci Sementa, Team Member at Culver's of Addison, sports her newly-acquired Gold Medal after her Downers Grove Dazzlers finished first at the U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships held last weekend in Colorado Springs, CO.
- Barrington High School Gymnast, Danny Schnura places 1st in All-Around at Friday's Freshman Invitational in Hinsdale. Eleven schools competed and Barrington High School finished 4th for overall team. Go Broncos! T. Lauderdale
- DTA Wildcats 15U Navy & Red teams rocked it at the Mickey Sund Classic in Crystal Lake. The Navy team went 5-0 and outscored their opponents 54-4 on the weekend.The Red team went 4-1 on the weekend with solid pitching and defense including a fantastic 7-5 win against the PBI Eagles in the semi-final game. DTA Wildcats Navy played DTA Wildcats Red in the championship game and were victorious. DuPage Training Academy Baseball
- Kyle Niemiec led the DTA Wildcats 15U Navy team offensively in the Mickey Sund Classic in Crystal Lake last weekend going 7-10 with two homeruns. DuPage Training Academy Baseball
- DTA Wildcats 15U Red Michael Calderone hit a monster Grand Slam, estimated 370 feet, in the victory over Crystal Lake at the Mickey Sund Classic last weekend. DuPage Training Academy Baseball
- Mimi shows her catch at the Oakbrook Terrace/NEDSRA fishing derby held this past Sunday at Terrace View Park Lake. Mimi won an award for most fish caught. Bruce Flowers
Many of the veterans shown who reside at Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community in Carol Stream, will have their service photo and other memorabilia on display in the community's Centrum beginning Friday, Nov. 8. Intended to honor all veterans, the show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Nov. 15. Windsor Park is located at 124 Windsor Park Drive. Captain Richard Blackburn, first row center, holds a book of his memoirs. He received the French Legion of Honor for valor in one of the main campaigns during WW II in France. Visitors can also view a world map with pushpins designating where each veteran served. Windsor Park residents plan this display each year. Those involved in 2013 are Harman Barnard, Ray Smith, Charlie Ochs, Ralph Weldon, Bill Anderson, Stan Johnson, and Herb Clausen.
For more information, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500.
Those pictured (left to right) are:
First row: John Weber, Henry Nelson, Jim McLuskie, Roy Comstock, Clarence Aronson, Eunice Blackburn, Richard Blackburn, Ray Smith, Matt Leonard, Warren Larson, Eugene Young, Donald White, Robert Baptista.
Second row: Bob Muzzy, Howard Headley, Reg Gerig, Len Buck, Dick Rung, Robert Fox, Check Lewis, Clayton Barker, Howard Morey, Wallace Alcorn, Charles Ochs, Stan Yohe, Edward Ayers, Dick Gerig, Jason Johnson, Wayne Cook.
Third row: Bob Doenges, Bill Anderson, David Blomberg, Jim Carr, Bill Taetzsch, Ralph Welton, Stan Johnson, Glenn Heck, George Saunders. Jim Steere
- Illinois Comptroller Judy Judy Baar Topinka and state Rep. Kathleen Willis at June 27 Chamber Luncheon Meeting in Addison
- Illinois Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka as she addresses the members of the Addison, Carol Stream, Roselle, Villa Park and Wood Dale Chambers of Commerce
- Judy Baar Topinka and state Rep. Dennis Reboletti at June 27 Chamber Luncheon Meeting in Addison
- Jose Moreno takes a shot in front of John Thompson Center during a wheelchair basketball exhibition during ADA week. The Jr.Bulls come from NEDSRA located in Addison. Jeena Greenwalt
- Photo from 2004 I recently came across when scanning my old slides at the Addison Public Library. Shot at a Dupage county forest preserve on Kodachrome, The most iconic film and longest running film brand of all time. Sadly it is no longer produced or developed. No photoshop necessary. I think it's important to remind people that if they love film, especially slide film, if you don't buy it manufacturers will stop making it. So dust off that 35mm, get a couple rolls of film, grab the kids and teach them how we USE to create photos. Eric Frick
- Ray Strzewski and Kara Altman enjoy dancing at the Itasca Country Club on Friday. Bruce Flowers
NEDSRA Talent Show! March 21-22
NEDSRA Actors & Actresses Bruce Flowers
- NEDSRA Actors & Actresses having Fun! Bruce Flowers
NEDSRA Theater Show! March 21-22
NEDSRA Actors & Actresses Bruce Flowers
- West Chicago elected officials and staff, Old Time Pottery executives and representatives of the Western DuPage Chamber of Commerce cut the ceremonial ribbon at a daylong celebration which welcomes the retailer to their new home at the northwest corner of Illinois 59 & 64. Rosemary Mackey
- Congressman Roskam cancelled his meeting with families to discuss immigration reform and its effect on families. The families then decorated his door with messages written on colorful butterflies. The butterflies symbolize freedom and migration. Colin Tysoe
- Hop into a bath tub to demonstrate its roominess and show off its features, for example. The grand opening of RKB Showroom in Mundelein was the setting when Ferguson company (Addison) outside sales rep Dick Graff took the plunge, albeit without the required water supply to benefit from the whirlpool bath tub with its Aerofeel Airpool System technology. The Maxx Living 7242 air/jet, back jet combo bath tub is among the upscale, trendy kitchen and bath products featured in new display rooms during the grand opening through Friday at RKB Showroom, 216 Terrace Dr., Mundelein. "We carry today's leading kitchen and bath brands, feature them in our private setting, and give our customers the kind of personal attention they desire," said Barry Schuster, owner of RKB Showroom and resident of Vernon Hills. For more information please visit www.RKBsite.com, or call (847) 970-6880. Barry Sigale
- Made me laugh seeing the Spring Show in all that snow Andrea Schroeder
Bob Smith DuPage County Editor
Christie Willhite Assistant City Editor
Orrin Schwarz DuPage County High School Sports Coordinator and Pro Sports Writer
Scott Sanders DuPage County Photo Editor
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Addison Trail High School
- 213 N. Lombard Rd.
Addison, IL 60101
- Navy Blue/White
- Glenbard East High School
- 1014 S. Main St.
Lombard, Il 60148
Daily Herald Communities
- The Addison Advantage
- 41.931573, -88.002221
- DuPage County