Communities » Bloomingdale Area News
Dining events: Free froyo Saturday at Menchie’s in BloomingdaleThe newest Menchie’s frozen yogurt opens Saturday, July 26, in Bloomingdale. A grand opening weeklong celebration kicks off Saturday with free yogurt from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Rookies All-American Pub and Grill serves up $1 burgers and hot dogs all day everyday throughout July ($1.50 at the Elgin location).Last Updated Jul 21, 2014 1:44 PM
Recently shared by others
- COD to Host ‘Chap Chats’ Online Sessions Aimed at Adult Students
- College of DuPage Foundation Hosts Free Business Succession Seminar July 23
- MAC’s Starlight Series Opener Featuring American English Draws Nearly 2,000
- COD New Student Orientation Aug. 12 to 14
- 2015 Banner Art Theme Announced - Applications Now Available
- Police Officers Serving “Free” Lunch to Benefit Special Olympics Illinois on 7/25
- Arlington Hts. Sons of the American Legion man is State Commander
- Hoffman Estates Jaycees Walk for Community Kids
- Batavia Mother’s Club Foundation donates to feed hungry kids
- Serving with Passion in Uganda
Wayne Stayskal (right), retired Tribune Media editorial cartoonist, explains some of the finer points of his work to guests when Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community at 124 Windsor Park Drive in Carol Stream, hosted a retrospective exhibit of his syndicated work. About 75 people attended the artist’s reception Aug. 20, including Stayskal’s wife Helen (center) and son Bob (left). The show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Sept. 30.
To see a video interview and catch a glimpse of the engaging personality who humorously commentated on culture for more than 30 years visit www.WindsorParkIllinois.org/downloads-news. For details, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500. Shirley Mott
- I took this picture while on the Meachem Grove Forest Preserve's forest trail. In the mud was a very large paw print from what appeared to have been from a large cat. Ron L.
- This goose was hanging out at Stratford Square Mall Friday night, near Ballydoyle Michael Hovde jr
- Rare to this area the Moth looks like a baby hummingbird Betsy Thomen
- Congresswoman Tammy Duckworth greeting her constituents at a Congress on Your Corner event at Bloomingdale Public Library Vince Gattone
- Luci Sementa, Team Member at Culver's of Addison, sports her newly-acquired Gold Medal after her Downers Grove Dazzlers finished first at the U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships held last weekend in Colorado Springs, CO.
- Barrington High School Gymnast, Danny Schnura places 1st in All-Around at Friday's Freshman Invitational in Hinsdale. Eleven schools competed and Barrington High School finished 4th for overall team. Go Broncos! T. Lauderdale
- DTA Wildcats 15U Navy & Red teams rocked it at the Mickey Sund Classic in Crystal Lake. The Navy team went 5-0 and outscored their opponents 54-4 on the weekend.The Red team went 4-1 on the weekend with solid pitching and defense including a fantastic 7-5 win against the PBI Eagles in the semi-final game. DTA Wildcats Navy played DTA Wildcats Red in the championship game and were victorious. DuPage Training Academy Baseball
- DTA Wildcats 15U Red Michael Calderone hit a monster Grand Slam, estimated 370 feet, in the victory over Crystal Lake at the Mickey Sund Classic last weekend. DuPage Training Academy Baseball
Many of the veterans shown who reside at Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community in Carol Stream, will have their service photo and other memorabilia on display in the community's Centrum beginning Friday, Nov. 8. Intended to honor all veterans, the show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Nov. 15. Windsor Park is located at 124 Windsor Park Drive. Captain Richard Blackburn, first row center, holds a book of his memoirs. He received the French Legion of Honor for valor in one of the main campaigns during WW II in France. Visitors can also view a world map with pushpins designating where each veteran served. Windsor Park residents plan this display each year. Those involved in 2013 are Harman Barnard, Ray Smith, Charlie Ochs, Ralph Weldon, Bill Anderson, Stan Johnson, and Herb Clausen.
For more information, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500.
Those pictured (left to right) are:
First row: John Weber, Henry Nelson, Jim McLuskie, Roy Comstock, Clarence Aronson, Eunice Blackburn, Richard Blackburn, Ray Smith, Matt Leonard, Warren Larson, Eugene Young, Donald White, Robert Baptista.
Second row: Bob Muzzy, Howard Headley, Reg Gerig, Len Buck, Dick Rung, Robert Fox, Check Lewis, Clayton Barker, Howard Morey, Wallace Alcorn, Charles Ochs, Stan Yohe, Edward Ayers, Dick Gerig, Jason Johnson, Wayne Cook.
Third row: Bob Doenges, Bill Anderson, David Blomberg, Jim Carr, Bill Taetzsch, Ralph Welton, Stan Johnson, Glenn Heck, George Saunders. Jim Steere
- Lake Park High School's first home game of season. Lake Park's victory over Lockport High School. Pictured is Nikki Jahnke and Austin Weil. Janice Jahnke
- More than 130 people attended a public forum and town hall meeting about health care reform and the Affordable Care Act at the Palatine Public Library Aug. 28. The meeting was organized by Northwest Suburbs Organizing for Action, a nonpartisan volunteer organization dedicated to advancing progressive policies. Andrew Kurz, a former Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Wisconsin, pointed out that the United States spends 18 percent of its GDP on health care, which is more than twice as much as other developed countries, but tens of millions of people are not covered. "The U.S. has the worst infant mortality rate of any industrialized country," Kurz said. "Other industrialized countries have far lower drug costs," said Kurz. More than half of individual bankruptcies are a result of health care expenses." Matt Flamm
- West Chicago elected officials and staff, Old Time Pottery executives and representatives of the Western DuPage Chamber of Commerce cut the ceremonial ribbon at a daylong celebration which welcomes the retailer to their new home at the northwest corner of Illinois 59 & 64. Rosemary Mackey
- Pina's Culinery Experience at Taste of Roselle on Aug. 3: Standing back row, Chef Ed, Shawna, Sue; middle row standing, Brandon and Dollie; and center kneeling,Eddie. Linda Chesney
- Top:Kelley Murphy, Saanvi Gupte, Nicki Spangler, Jenna Rajewski Bottom:Emily O'Hara,Michele Gurrieri at Studio during Rehearsal. Kelly O'Hara
- Council of Catholic Women selling Spring Decor at annual fund-raiser at St. John the Baptist, Winfield Dee Bryja
- Patrick Hurst (left) and Tina Menconi of American Classic Rides in Palatine joined Clearbrook President, Carl M. La Mell in Clearbrook's suite at the First Look for Charity Preview Night of the 2014 Auto Show on Friday, February 7.
- In honor of Veterans Day, Girl Scout Troop 200 of Western DuPage Special Recreation Association (WDSRA) participated in a flag folding ceremony on Nov. 5. The ceremony was presented by special guests, Art Schultz (left) and Bill Minnich (right), from the Korean War Veterans Association Chapter 252. Pictured are Girl Scouts Angelina Salazar (left) and Joanna Conners-Yarus (right). Amy Wilson
- Wheaton North Varsity Boys took first place Sept. 29 at the Lake Park Open at Indian Lakes. Matt Winkleman shot a 72 for first overall and Charlie Vasbinder shot a 74 for second overall. From left: Charlie Vasbinder, John Shadid, Matt Winkelman, Michael Suazo, Ben Shadid and Brad Hanzel. Tina Vasbinder
- Lifted four stories high above Wheaton Avenue in a cherry picker truck, Anthony Dibella transforms parkway trees into sparkling sculptures in preparation for this year's Dickens of a Christmas celebration in Downtown Wheaton. It all kicks off with the ever delightful Lighted Holiday Parade on Friday, Nov. 29 at 6 pm by Wheaton City Hall. Storybook and cartoon characters, city officials, and yes, of course, Santa will parade south along Wheaton Avenue and east along Front Street. Immediately following the parade, be sure to visit your favorite parade characters in their sponsoring businesses. Heidi McAndrew
Wine Tasting Banishes Cabin Fever For Record Crowd
Barry and Mary Ellen Masek of Park Ridge enjoy swirling and sipping one of 60 wines at Clearbrook’s 50th annual A Grapevine of Friends Wine Tasting. More than 450 people attended the wine extravaganza. Chicago Corporate Photography
- Joe Buttice, past commander of Tioga VFW Post 2149 in Wood Dale gives words of praise and inspiration at the Veteran's Day celebration on November 9, 2013. Ellen Hart
Congratulations to the World Class Basketball 17U team on taking 2nd place in the AAU National Championships in Orlando, Florida. WCBA went 6 wins and 1 loss and consists of players from Conant, Larkin, Huntley and Hampshire.
Pictured in front row are: Taylor Boley, Joey Ranallo & D'Angelo McBride
Back Row: Head Coach Dan Krauser, Danny Sotos, Zach Gorney, Ryan Blaha, Ryan Cork and Assistant Coach Rick Cork Dan Krauser
Bob Smith DuPage County Editor
Christie Willhite Assistant City Editor
Orrin Schwarz DuPage County High School Sports Coordinator and Pro Sports Writer
Scott Sanders DuPage County Photo Editor
More Bloomingdale News
- Bloomingdale Entertainment
- Dining events: Free froyo Saturday at Menchie’s in Bloomingdale
- Top 15 move on in Suburban Chicago's Got Talent
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Glenbard East High School
- 1014 S. Main St.
Lombard, Il 60148
- Glenbard North High School
- 990 Kuhn Rd.
Carol Stream, Il 60188
- Black/Old Gold
- Lake Park High School
- 500 W. Bryn Mawr
Roselle, Il 60172-1978
- Navy Blue/White
Daily Herald Communities
- Growth With Pride
- 41.94954, -88.082564
- DuPage County