Communities » Lombard Area News
All Lombard village board races now uncontestedTwo candidates have dropped out of the running for Lombard village board, resulting in uncontested races for all three district seats that are up for grabs.Last Updated Jan 28, 2015 8:36 PM
Illinois State student hit by vehicle dies; Lombard man chargedUpdated Jan 28, 2015 12:26 AM
An Illinois State University student from Crystal Lake died Tuesday after he was struck by a vehicle in Normal, Illinois, last week, The Associated Press reports. McLean County Coroner Kathleen Davis said Benjamin Allison, 20, died at the hospital.
Images: The Week in PicturesPosted Jan 26, 2015 1:01 AM
More than 20 area communities are represented in this edition of The Week in Pictures, featuring Daily Herald staff photos of an underwater robot, a disappointed skier, and an outgoing frozen zucchini.
Recently shared by others
- St. Hubert Catholic School Earns Award at Future Citiy Competition
- Area School Districts Collaborate To Host Second Chinese Student Cultural Performance
- Scott Latter named vice president by EnTrust Realty Advisors
- Norwegian National League of Chicago offers scholarships
- Albright Theatre presents “The Mousetrap”
- J&P Moving Service to sponsor UFC Fighter Kenny Robertson
- Nancy Writebol, Rear Admiral Ziemer to headline “Work: For Flourishing” events at Wheaton College
- Suburban home prices experience strong gains in 2014
- Bowling for Charity Event at Streamwood Bowl!
- Glenbard East principal named assistant superintendent
Wayne Stayskal (right), retired Tribune Media editorial cartoonist, explains some of the finer points of his work to guests when Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community at 124 Windsor Park Drive in Carol Stream, hosted a retrospective exhibit of his syndicated work. About 75 people attended the artist’s reception Aug. 20, including Stayskal’s wife Helen (center) and son Bob (left). The show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Sept. 30.
To see a video interview and catch a glimpse of the engaging personality who humorously commentated on culture for more than 30 years visit www.WindsorParkIllinois.org/downloads-news. For details, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500. Shirley Mott
60th Anniversary of The Midnight Special 98.7fm NYE
Garnet Rogers, Beth Kaufman (Spuyten Duyvil), and Pat Wictor (Brother Sun) sing together at the finale of this momentous show. Melissa Dagenhart
On Dec. 4 at the Carlisle Banquets in Lombard, the Glen Ellyn Wheaton Community Associates of the Art Institute of Chicago members and guests learned about two particular gemstones, rubies and diamonds. Kathleen Kamal, artist and teacher as well as head of the metal and jewelry program at the College of DuPage, presented a fascinating program that enthralled her entire audience of over 180 people. Not only did Kamal give the history of the popularity of these two gems, but she pinpointed and described the countries where these stones are mined. Her power point program featured beautiful examples of jewelry fashioned from the stones and she concluded her presentation with famous people who owned spectacular pieces of the gems that were sold at auction with their estate. Wallace Simpson and Elizabeth Taylor were two that Kamal featured in photos and stories about how the jewelery was obtained, worn, and then sold. For information about membership in the Glen Ellyn Community Associates of the Art Institute of Chicago Organization, call 630-858-0578.
Left to right are Glen Ellyn Wheaton Community Associates of the Art Institute of Chicago member, Kay Nelson, the Gem of a Holiday speaker for the day, Kathleen Kamal, Community Associates Program members, Patricia Jamieson and Sue
Krause. helping Kamal set up the Power-Point program used for the presentation. Jean Jeske
- The Village of Lombard celebrates Arbor Day with the planting of an Ivory Silk Japanese Lilac tree in honor of the late Village President William J. Mueller. Attending the ceremony was the Mueller Family and St. Pius X students and their families. Village of Lombard
- On Feb. 12, the Glen Ellyn Wheaton Community Associates of the Art Institute of Chicago were treated to a lecture on the art of Norman Rockwell. The luncheon was held at the Carlisle Banquets in Lombard and over 120 members and guests attended this event. Jeff Mishur, Vice President and Co-owner of Art Excursions was the speaker.Left to right is Program Committee member, Pat Jamieson, Lecturer, Jeff Mishur, Community Associates President, Katy Damitz, technical coordinator, Roberta Pawlak, and Program Chairman, Sue Krause. The next event on the organization's schedule is a day trip to the Jaharis Galleries and National Hellenic Museum. For information about membership call 630-858-0578. Jean jeske
- Beacon Hill staff members Richard Gonzalez, director of dining services, and Sandy Rojas, reception supervisor, participated in the 2013 Naperville Walk to End Alzheimer?s on September 22. Beacon Hill senior living community in Lombard raised more than $11,000 for the cause. Beacon Hill
- I was at Lilacia Park in Lombard a couple of weeks ago, on a beautiful Spring day, when my camera stumbled upon and truly painted this picture exactly the way I saw it. Allan Ezrin
- Ken Carlson, manager of Carlson Art Supply and Framing, and Elaine Rau, teacher at Community School of the Arts, got together at Carlson's Wheaton store and held an art viewing for her young students work. Art can be seen still in our window. brad carlson
Carol G. Sherby, Craniosacral Therapist from Wheaton, enjoyed her career as
a consultant in garden design and landscaping. She was the owner of Garden Tapestries from 1990 to present time. Sherby has been a Master Gardener with the University of Illinois for over twenty-three years. ?My CraniosacralTherapy partners with my knowledge of plants and nutrution,? said Sherby. She also was the creator of the Perennial/Annual Garden Design Department for Walsh Landscape and Constructiion. The program ?Color in the Garden,? gave the Lombard Garden Club?s members at the January meeting a ray of sunshine and hope on a below zero day. Left to right are club members getting gardening advice from Sherby, Fran Pszanka, Sherby, Karen Michalezyk, and Rocki DeVoy. Jean Jeske
- Luci Sementa, Team Member at Culver's of Addison, sports her newly-acquired Gold Medal after her Downers Grove Dazzlers finished first at the U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships held last weekend in Colorado Springs, CO.
- Scott Martenson, owner of Culver's of Lombard, is presented with a certificate of recognition from LifeSource's Executive Director of Blood Services, Chad Douglas. Chicagoland Culver's restaurants hosted partnered "Give a Pint, Get a Pint" blood drives over the summer and received more than 1,000 donations for LifeSource. McKenzie Kramer
- Ken Buckman (left) of TradeTec Skyline in Lombard and Bruce Jones (right) of Design & Promote in Naperville congratulate each other on winning the 2014 Annual Award for Business Excellence from the Daily Herald Business Ledger. The two businesses were among four honored in the Small Business Category for their growth, business achievement, and community involvement. Design & Promote
- DTA Wildcats 15U Navy & Red teams rocked it at the Mickey Sund Classic in Crystal Lake. The Navy team went 5-0 and outscored their opponents 54-4 on the weekend.The Red team went 4-1 on the weekend with solid pitching and defense including a fantastic 7-5 win against the PBI Eagles in the semi-final game. DTA Wildcats Navy played DTA Wildcats Red in the championship game and were victorious. DuPage Training Academy Baseball
Five Area Gardens Featured on Lombard Garden Club’s 2013 Garden Walk. Chairwoman Dorothy Johnson chose gardens in three different towns. Lombard gardens featured water elements with ponds and waterfalls, the garden in Elmhurst was a perennial master piece with beautiful flowering bushes, and the two gardens in Glen Ellyn were examples of two completely different approaches to decorating a backyard. One household actually named their garden, Better Gnomes and Gardens, and the other garden was established in 1968. Helping Johnson coordinate the event were committee members Patricia Swanson and Cindy Ward. The date was Friday, June 28 and the weather was beautiful. Cool breezes followed the club members as they visited each location. The next meeting of the club is a field trip to Phillips Workshop and Warehouse in Westmont and this event is limited to current Lombard Garden Club members.
Lombard Garden Club members, left to right, Janice Rowe, Judy Markum and Karen Michalczyk examine knockout roses in one of the featured gardens on the Lombard 2013 Garden Walk. It was a time to learn about perennials, shrubs, water features and decorating all in one day. Jean Jeske
- Girl Scout Troop 40523 delivered cookies to the homeless at JOURNEYS | The Road Home in Palatine. The clients felt grateful receiving such a special treat. JOURNEYS | The Road Home
- Mimi shows her catch at the Oakbrook Terrace/NEDSRA fishing derby held this past Sunday at Terrace View Park Lake. Mimi won an award for most fish caught. Bruce Flowers
Many of the veterans shown who reside at Windsor Park, a Covenant Retirement Community in Carol Stream, will have their service photo and other memorabilia on display in the community's Centrum beginning Friday, Nov. 8. Intended to honor all veterans, the show is open to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Nov. 15. Windsor Park is located at 124 Windsor Park Drive. Captain Richard Blackburn, first row center, holds a book of his memoirs. He received the French Legion of Honor for valor in one of the main campaigns during WW II in France. Visitors can also view a world map with pushpins designating where each veteran served. Windsor Park residents plan this display each year. Those involved in 2013 are Harman Barnard, Ray Smith, Charlie Ochs, Ralph Weldon, Bill Anderson, Stan Johnson, and Herb Clausen.
For more information, call Windsor Park at (630) 510-5500.
Those pictured (left to right) are:
First row: John Weber, Henry Nelson, Jim McLuskie, Roy Comstock, Clarence Aronson, Eunice Blackburn, Richard Blackburn, Ray Smith, Matt Leonard, Warren Larson, Eugene Young, Donald White, Robert Baptista.
Second row: Bob Muzzy, Howard Headley, Reg Gerig, Len Buck, Dick Rung, Robert Fox, Check Lewis, Clayton Barker, Howard Morey, Wallace Alcorn, Charles Ochs, Stan Yohe, Edward Ayers, Dick Gerig, Jason Johnson, Wayne Cook.
Third row: Bob Doenges, Bill Anderson, David Blomberg, Jim Carr, Bill Taetzsch, Ralph Welton, Stan Johnson, Glenn Heck, George Saunders. Jim Steere
- From left, Billie Linnane-Miller, Humana’s National Guidance Center Manager, Lombard Village President Keith Giagnorio and Linda Greenwell, manager for Humana Guidance Centers in Illinois, are present at the grand opening of Humana’s new Guidance Center in Lombard on Wednesday, May 15. The Guidance Center – located at 2050-50 Finley Road – is open to anyone in the community and provides fitness classes, seminars, social activities and assistance with health plans. Tina Smothers
- Friday, April 12, 2013, Joey won the 139 lb Golden Glove Championship held at Cicero Stadium. He fought three (3) fights to get to this championship. Joey was also the 2011 Chicago Park District Champion and 2012 Junior Olympic Champion. Joey's trainers are his grandfather, former Illinois Attorney General and Golden Glove Champion Jim Ryan along with Joey's father John Ryan, also a former boxer Chicago Golden Gloves
- Jose Moreno takes a shot in front of John Thompson Center during a wheelchair basketball exhibition during ADA week. The Jr.Bulls come from NEDSRA located in Addison. Jeena Greenwalt
- Loni Cohen of Glen Ellyn receives the Violet Richardson Award fron Diane Kegley, Soroptimist Club President at the 24th Annual Awards function at the Hi View Restaurant on May 18. Sue Schumsacher
- On April 25, the Lombard Garden Club gathers for their spring luncheon at Reserve 22, the restaurant on the property of the Glen Ellyn Village Links. The newly elected board of the Garden Club will organize a short business meeting before the program for the afternoon takes the stage. At the March meeting the board members received roses as a token of appreciation from the club members. Left to right are Corresponding Secretary Bobbie Roeske. Conservation and Environment Co chairman, Karen Brittain, Publicity Chairman, Jean Jeske, Membership Chairmen, Pat Cekal and Jean Nelson, Treasurer, Nancy Faragoi, and Conservation and Environment Co chairman, Marian Schmoeller. Jean Jeske
- Lombard Junior Women's Club donated $500 to Lombard/Villa Park Food Pantry. From left, Sue Horner, LJWC membership chairman; Silas Glisson, food pantry director; and Stacy Schroeder, LJWC president. The photograph was taken at the Lombard/Villa Park Food Pantry on Friday, Nov. 22, 2013. Pantry Volunteer
- Steve Solomon, vice president of corporate relations at Exelon, Lombard resident and ComEd employee Nicole Tresnak, Susan W. Bultman, vice president of Cornerstone Services, and Darryl Johnson, Exelon employee volunteer manager. Exelon honored Tresnak for her volunteer work with Cornerstone Services and gave a $5,000 cash grant to the organization in Tresnak’s honor. Exelon Corp.
- John Scherer, M.M.S., a graduate of the Physician Assistant Program, celebrates after his commencement ceremony at Midwestern University. The University marked the end of summer with graduation ceremonies for students in the Physician Assistant, Occupational Therapy, and Clinical Psychology programs. Midwestern University
Bob Smith DuPage County Editor
Christie Willhite Assistant City Editor
Jessica Cilella Staff Writer
Orrin Schwarz DuPage County High School Sports Coordinator and Pro Sports Writer
Scott Sanders DuPage County Photo Editor
More Lombard News
- Lombard Sports
- Danica Patrick leads ‘Healthy Driven’ campaign in suburbs
- Danica Patrick races into Lombard Thursday
- Lombard Entertainment
- Danica Patrick leads ‘Healthy Driven’ campaign in suburbs
- Music notes: Masked Intruder plays Lombard's Brauerhouse
- Taste of Lombard canceled, fireworks to continue
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Glenbard East High School
- 1014 S. Main St.
Lombard, Il 60148
- Glenbard West High School
- 670 Crescent Blvd.
Glen Ellyn, Il 60137
- Forest Green/White
- Montini Catholic High School
- 19W070 16th St.
Lombard, Il 60148
- Willowbrook High School
- 1250 S. Ardmore Av.
Villa Park, Il 60181
- Columbia Blue/Silver
Daily Herald Communities
- The Lilac Village
- 41.875979, -88.01506
- DuPage County