Breaking News Bar
updated: 10/17/2012 10:43 PM

Grayslake North ousts Grayslake Central

Success - Article sent! close
Daily Herald report

Baruk Perez-Vera scored with less than 10 minutes left to break a tie and then set up a goal, as Grayslake North's boys soccer team advanced in the state tournament Wednesday night.

Sintayehu Meyer scored twice for Grayslake North, which defeated visiting Grayslake Central 3-1 in the rain to advance to Saturday's 11 a.m. Class 2A regional final at Grayslake North. The third-seeded Knights (9-14) will play top-seeded Prairie Ridge, which was a 4-1 winner over No. 4 Wauconda.

Order Reprint Print Article
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

"Tonight we struggled a little bit to find purpose in our possessions, while Grayslake Central did a nice job controlling the ball in the adverse conditions and put us under a fair amount of pressure," Knights coach Adam DeCaluwe said. "Fortunately, though, we were able to capitalize on some really nice scoring chances and a found a way to get the win in a very windy and rainy game."

Grayslake Central, which was the No. 2 seed, struck first, just five minutes into the match.

Grayslake North didn't net the equalizer until about four minutes remained before halftime. Perez-Vera played a ball across the face of the goal to Arnaud Laroche-Bataille, who kept the ball moving into space for Meyer, who finished.

With the score even at 1-1 and overtime looking like a possibility, Perez-Vera won the ball from a defender, attacked the goal and placed a low shot into the far corner of the net. Minutes later, Perez-Vera maneuvered the ball past the onrushing keeper and fed Meyer, who deposited the ball into an empty net.

"We played hard and kept fighting," DeCaluwe said. "The boys got a well-fought victory from a really tough game against our biggest rival."

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.