Communities » Wauconda Area News
Protesters pay Lake County taxes with dollar billsA small group of suburban residents protested their rising property taxes Tuesday at the Lake County treasurer’s office by paying their taxes with stacks of one-dollar bills.Last Updated Aug 30, 2016 5:12 PM
Forest district to return human remains to Native American groupUpdated Aug 30, 2016 12:02 PM
Native American remains that for decades have been part of the Lake County Discovery Museum’s collection soon will be returned to members of a tribe with roots in this area.
Woodman’s store in Lakemoor on hold as legal action continuesUpdated Aug 30, 2016 3:38 PM
An attempt to settle a lawsuit over a special financing district created to attract development to a long-idle corner in Lakemoor remains at an impasse, delaying a proposal to build a Woodman’s Food Market there.
Wauconda police chief seeking historical photos of departmentUpdated Aug 29, 2016 4:43 PM
Wauconda Police Chief David Wermes is putting together a historical photo exhibit about the department, and he’s hoping you can help provide some pieces to display.
Wauconda throws one final beach bashUpdated Aug 28, 2016 6:38 PM
Wauconda residents and guests were treated to a block party on the beach Sunday when the Wauconda Park District held its annual end-of-summer event, the Final Beach Bash on Bangs Lake.
Constable: A year after Gliniewicz, Fox Lake enduresPosted Aug 28, 2016 7:00 AM
Last year, Fox Lake was preparing for the last hurrah of summer boating and fishing when a police officer shot dead put the Lake County town in the national spotlight. A hero’s funeral, a heartbreaking betrayal and a sickening scandal quickly followed. On the anniversary, the community looks back while moving on.
Wauconda Twp. Historical Society to host ice cream socialUpdated Aug 26, 2016 4:29 PM
The Wauconda Township Historical Society will hold its annual Ice Cream Social from 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 28, at its headquarters, the Andrew Cook house, 711 N. Main St., Wauconda.
Safely dispose of drugs at Lake County police departmentsUpdated Aug 26, 2016 4:28 PM
As part of International Overdose Awareness Day, Aug. 31, local police departments are reminding residents there are prescription drug disposal boxes available in their towns.
Antioch residents face marijuana chargesUpdated Aug 26, 2016 1:05 PM
Two Antioch residence have been arrested and charged for growing marijuana plants in their attic, authorities said.
- Cops and Crime: Don’t anger new Rosemont public safety officer
- Fox Lake pension board delays Gliniewicz hearings
- Lake County Health Department to offer low-cost pet vaccines
- Waukegan man charged in Antioch-area overdose death
- Zion man charged in crash that killed Hainesville woman
- Lake County Sheriff seeks deputies
- Emergency training offered
- Flash flood warning for Northwest suburbs, McHenry County
- Images: Some of the best photos from the weekend
- Images: What sounds do you hear when you look at pictures?
Recently shared by others
- Dance challenge #20forHope to raise awareness of neuroblastoma Sept. 20
- College of DuPage Graduate Elected as IBHE Student Member
- College of DuPage Grad Takes Deep-Ocean Dive in Submergence Vehicle ‘Alvin’
- Tom Cullerton: Governor vetoes legislation to help caregivers for the developmentally disabled
- CLC hosts monthly international films starting Sept. 2
- Salon V’co of Lake Zurich -- a Modern Salon with a Classic Concept
- COD Students Celebrate Start of Fall 2016 Semester
- College of DuPage Cross-Country Opens Season Aug. 27
- Wauconda’s Street Dance to help hungry
- Sept. 11: Open House and Back-to-Church-School Celebration at United Protestant Church
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Face N Time rocked Middleton's on Main in Wauconda on Saturday night with an all-electric show. Next up: The Gambler, 1232 N. Green St., McHenry on May 16 at 9:30 p.m. Come on out! k gerdts
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- A controlled fire at a house in Volo, IL on the morning of Saturday, May 10 provided firefighters from several towns with a realistic training opportunity. Jake Hadden
- From left, Georgianna Powers, Ryan Jones, Yvonne Jones, Lauren Jones. This picture was taken at Community Park in Mundelein where MBSA is constructing a Red Monster home run fence in memory of Mike Jones with donations received from many, many supporters. Abby Nierman
NIGFB End of Season Tournament Winners
2012-13 Wauconda Junior Lady Bulldogs 8th Grade Friendship League Champs Jill Sutherland
- The Northern Illinois Scholarship Program girls help out at the Arthritis Walk as part of Team Delaney in Libertyville on April 25, 2015. From left, Alison Greissinger, Kara Pohlman, Allison Nelson Mary Nelson
- St. Francis de Sales students from the play, "The Little Mermaid." Performances will be held at 7 p.m. May 17 and 18. Angela Mooney
- St. Mary of the Annunciation School in Mundelein held traditional May Crowning ceremony today. The students participated in a ceremony to honor the Virgin Mary as the "Queen of May." Fifth graders placed a crown of flowers on the statue of Mary. Jean Simpson
- Fr. Ron Gollatz, crossing guard for the first day of school, welcomes families to Transfiguration Elementary School in Wauconda. Fr. Ron Gollatz assists Nathan Christiansen and his mom. Jean Simpson
- U9 Barrington Broncos Travel Team Spring Classic 2013 Champions: front row, James Ensign, TJ Swidorski, Ryan Anderson, Tommy Kondraros, Danny Sheedy; and back row, Justin Mirski, Logan Eisenbarth, Tristan Roney, Peter Maestranzi, and Brady Dern. Caroline Eisenbarth
- Vernon Hills High School students' shoe designs for the Custom Culture competition. Design by (left to right): Ann Ho, Kathleen McLoughlin, Tiffany Do, and Olivia Weaver. Vote for their designs at http://www.vans.com/customculture/vote/top50/ Allison Molloy
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
- Viking Wrestling team wins 1st place at the Wauconda Tournament 4th-place finishers: Danny Vargas, Trinate Jacobs, Ashauntee Scales, Kevin Brocksom, and Kelvin Cupay. 3rd place medalists were: Jamal Patterson, Jariston Clarke, and Jorge Rodriguez. 2nd place medalists were: Gino Ortiz, Christian Valadez, and Fabian Martinez. 1stplace champions were Marcelous Wroten, JT VanderVere, Jack Nudelman, Jacob Illescas, Israel Ramirez, and Eric Carter P. Nudelman
- The Wauconda Woman's Club initiated three new members at their April meeting on April 14th at the Wauconda Township Hall. Pictured from left to right: President, Carol Johnson, New Members, Ellen Sherwin, Mary Ann Sherwin, Sue Anderson and Past President, Louise Moore. The Wauconda Woman's Club is a volunteer organization dedicated to community improvement. Judie Zietlow
- Hike at Volo Bog with daughter home from college Teri Herchenbach
- Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart Debate Team members Elena Gutierrez of Waukegan (left) and Arminda Downey-Mavromatis of Gurnee, both sophomores, finished the season by receiving awards at the Illinois Communication and Theatre Association (ICTA) State Tournament held March 15 at Belvidere North High School in Belvidere, Ill. Gutierrez was the top seed (out of a field of 41) in the playoff rounds after achieving an 8-1 record in the preliminary rounds. She ended the tournament as a quarterfinalist. Downey-Mavromatis earned the 6th place speaker award. Kyle Schmitt, coach of the Lake Forest school’s newly revived Debate Team, is proud of its achievements this year. “We are liked and respected newcomers in the northern Illinois debate circuit,” he said following the state meet. Woodlands Academy
- Artwork by Woodlands Academy junior Erika Cerillo of Waukegan is among those featured at the Deer Path Art League Emerging Artists show in Lake Forest now through March 28. This is one of three exhibits in which artwork by several Woodlands Academy students is on display this month. The other shows are at the Lake Forest Library and the University of St. Francis School of Creative Arts in Fort Wayne, Ind. Woodlands Academy
More Wauconda News
- Wauconda Business
- Woodman’s store in Lakemoor on hold as legal action continues
- Wauconda Entertainment
- Wauconda Twp. Historical Society to host ice cream social
- Lake County Health Department to offer low-cost pet vaccines
- Learn about hummingbirds
- United Way of Lake County seeks literacy tutors
- Lake forest preserves issue Des Plaines River Trail challenge
- Kids learn about veggies in ‘Fresh from the Garden’ program
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- Water Spirit Wonder
- 42.26691, -88.142657
- Lake County