Communities » Island Lake Area News
Constable: A year after Gliniewicz, Fox Lake enduresLast year, Fox Lake was preparing for the last hurrah of summer boating and fishing when a police officer shot dead put the Lake County town in the national spotlight. A hero’s funeral, a heartbreaking betrayal and a sickening scandal quickly followed. On the anniversary, the community looks back while moving on.Last Updated Aug 27, 2016 11:25 PM
Wauconda Twp. Historical Society to host ice cream socialUpdated Aug 26, 2016 4:29 PM
The Wauconda Township Historical Society will hold its annual Ice Cream Social from 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 28, at its headquarters, the Andrew Cook house, 711 N. Main St., Wauconda.
Safely dispose of drugs at Lake County police departmentsUpdated Aug 26, 2016 4:28 PM
As part of International Overdose Awareness Day, Aug. 31, local police departments are reminding residents there are prescription drug disposal boxes available in their towns.
Antioch residents face marijuana chargesUpdated Aug 26, 2016 1:05 PM
Two Antioch residence have been arrested and charged for growing marijuana plants in their attic, authorities said.
Island Lake mayor gets big pay raiseUpdated Aug 26, 2016 12:35 PM
Starting in May 2017, Island Lake’s mayor will be among the best-paid mayors in Lake County.
Cops and Crime: Don’t make the new Rosemont public safety officer angryUpdated Aug 26, 2016 9:31 AM
Rosemont has a new public safety officer, and he’s one cop you don’t want to get angry. Here’s how “The Incredible Hulk” Lou Ferrigno joined Rosemont’s public safety department.
Fox Lake pension board delays Gliniewicz hearingsUpdated Aug 25, 2016 5:35 PM
The Fox Lake pension board has agreed to delay pension hearings for the widow of Lt. Joe Gliniewicz until after her criminal case is completed.
Lake County Health Department to offer low-cost pet vaccinesUpdated Aug 25, 2016 4:37 PM
The Lake County Health Department/Community Health Center’s Animal Care and Control Program is offering a low-cost pet vaccination clinic Saturday, Sept. 10, 9 a.m. to noon, at the Grayslake Police Department, 10 S. Seymour Ave., Grayslake.
Waukegan man charged in Antioch-area overdose deathUpdated Aug 25, 2016 4:07 PM
As part of a two-month operation aimed at taking heroin off the streets, the Lake County sheriff’s office arrested a Waukegan resident for selling a 25-year-old man a fatal dose of the drug, police said in a news release.
- Should Island Lake mayor’s pay double? Trustees think so
- Zion man charged in crash that killed Hainesville woman
- Lake County Sheriff seeks deputies
- Low-profile veterans support group celebrates 20 years
Island Lake Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Three tips to cope when the world feels like chaos
- Summer Olympics at Sedgebrook
- Northern Illinois post offices will close for Labor Day
- Date Announced for 2016 Barrington Area CROP Hunger Walk
- Month-long Roadside Safety Check in West Chicago
- COD President Dr. Ann Rondeau Keynotes Veterans Day at Illinois State Fair
- College of DuPage Celebrates Investiture of President Dr. Ann Rondeau
- College of DuPage Board Approves Participation in CAREER Consortium
- College of DuPage to Host ‘Writing on the Edge’ Conference Sept. 24
- Chaparral Football Preps for 2016-2017 Season, Special Recognition Games
- Sean Sullivan, owner of Culver's of Island Lake and McHenry, is presented with a certificate of recognition from LifeSource's Executive Director of Blood Services, Chad Douglas. Chicagoland Culver's restaurants hosted partnered "Give a Pint, Get a Pint" blood drives over the summer and received more than 1,000 donations for LifeSource. McKenzie Kramer
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- St. Francis de Sales students from the play, "The Little Mermaid." Performances will be held at 7 p.m. May 17 and 18. Angela Mooney
- Fr. Ron Gollatz, crossing guard for the first day of school, welcomes families to Transfiguration Elementary School in Wauconda. Fr. Ron Gollatz assists Nathan Christiansen and his mom. Jean Simpson
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
- The Wauconda Woman's Club initiated three new members at their April meeting on April 14th at the Wauconda Township Hall. Pictured from left to right: President, Carol Johnson, New Members, Ellen Sherwin, Mary Ann Sherwin, Sue Anderson and Past President, Louise Moore. The Wauconda Woman's Club is a volunteer organization dedicated to community improvement. Judie Zietlow
- I was a former Des Plaines resident and retired to Arizona in 2008. In Illinois I was a physical education teacher within the Chicago Public Schools for 34 years.....now I am employed as an Instructional Assistant within the Scottsdale School system. My new joy out here is hiking the many trails within the Sonoran McDowell Mountain Area. I came upon this Western Diamondback Rattlesnake during a hike a couple weeks ago....it was quite agitated but at least warned me with a very loud rattle! :) Gary Wojton
More Island Lake News
- Island Lake Entertainment
- Wauconda Twp. Historical Society to host ice cream social
- Lake County Health Department to offer low-cost pet vaccines
- Low-profile veterans support group celebrates 20 years
- Learn about hummingbirds
- Suburban pilot ready to soar at Chicago Air and Water Show
- United Way of Lake County seeks literacy tutors
- Lake forest preserves issue Des Plaines River Trail challenge
- Kids learn about veggies in ‘Fresh from the Garden’ program
- Island Lake Opinion
- No roads named after this Walkup
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- A Community of Friendly People
- 42.277691, -88.200747