Communities » Port Barrington Area News
Why state, local officials support Longmeadow ParkwayState Sen. Karen McConnaughay, state Rep. Mike Tryon and Algonquin Village President John Schmitt told the Daily Herald Thursday that misinformation by detractors of the $135 million project is forcing officials like them to set the record straight.Last Updated Jul 31, 2015 8:10 AM
Fred Fest music festivalUpdated Jul 28, 2015 4:36 PM
The third annual Fred Fest music festival will take place from 1 p.m. until dusk Saturday, Aug. 15, at the Fox River Preserve and Marina, 28500 W. Robert Road in Port Barrington.
Fred Fest in Port Barrington raises money for forest preservesUpdated Jul 28, 2015 4:06 PM
The third annual Fred Fest music festival will take place from 1 p.m. until dusk on Saturday, Aug. 15 at the Fox River Preserve and Marina, 28500 W. Robert Road in Port Barrington. All net proceeds from Fred Fest will benefit the Preservation Foundation of the Lake County Forest Preserves, specifically in support of the 100-acre expansion of Grassy Lake Forest Preserve.
Woman not guilty of murder by insanity to be held in ElginUpdated Jul 26, 2015 4:04 PM
An Aurora woman found not guilty by reason of insanity in a 2013 stabbing death will be treated in Elgin; CASA Kane County gets a grant as cases increase 11 percent; a St. Charles police commander earns honors at Northwestern University law enforcement school
Clinton Benghazi hearing will put suburban lawmakers in spotlightUpdated Jul 30, 2015 1:16 PM
The announcement this week that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will appear before the congressional Benghazi committee this fall stands to put two local lawmakers at the center of an important hearing as the presidential race continues to heat up.
Dawn Patrol: COD tries to find out who leaked recording; Cook County proposes employee raisesUpdated Jul 31, 2015 5:49 AM
COD looking for who leaked recording of buyout meeting. Cook County proposes employee raises. Waukegan man faces charges in home burglaries. Polic say Aurora motorcyclist had mechanical trouble before fatal crash. New law aims to provide jet noise relief. Teens charged in Aurora burglaries. Rizzo does it all for Chicago Cubs. Forte focused on production, not contract. Will Sox be deadline buyers today?
Barrington chamber hosts networking eventUpdated Jul 30, 2015 1:15 PM
Registration is now open for the Barrington Area Chamber of Commerce Network to Success Scramble Luncheon September 16 at Pinstripes, 100 W. Higgins Road, South Barrington.
Dawn Patrol: Old COD board sought to rein in Breuder; Giordano’s coming to Schaumburg?Updated Jul 30, 2015 5:51 AM
COD board sought to rein in Breuder. Giordano's coming to Schaumburg? Bill would ban public pensions for lobbyists. Geneva likely to outlaw use of BB guns. Fundraiser tonight for Elgin firefighter with cancer. Lester strikes out 14 in Cubs' win over Rockies. Much has changed for the Sox. Bears' Allen eager for a reboot.
McHenry County College to hold supervisory leadership seriesUpdated Jul 29, 2015 1:17 PM
McHenry County College’s Workforce, Community and Business Programs is accepting registrations for a Developmental Dimensions International’s Supervisory Leadership Series, which will be held from 8 a.m.-noon on Fridays, August 7 through September 25.
- Dawn Patrol: Top GOP donor retracts comments on Kirk; Lake County Fair opens today
- Dawn Patrol: Harry Volkman ‘seriously ill’; hotel robbed near Elk Grove Village
- Dawn Patrol: History of racism in county where Bland died; Houston’s daughter dead
- Images: You know it’s summer when the cardboard boats start to sink
Port Barrington Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Help injured, hungry pelican with your donation
- Tee off at GLMV Chamber golf outing
- Barrington Rotary under names new leaders
- Smart Farm of Barrington Announces 2nd Annual Farm to Table Dinner
- Mosquitoes Test Positive for West Nile Virus in Lake County
- Learn about ‘Community Inclusion’ at Aug. 13 forum
- Constructech to host Technology Day Event Aug. 27
- N. Barrington Montessori students learn about nature
- Tour to feature net-zero energy homes, tools and tips for homeowners
- Learn about animal domestication July 25 at Garfield Farm Museum
- Children make pine cone bird feeders at the Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) class, hosted by Citizens for Conservation in Barrington. During the first part of the class, the children used binoculars to look for birds and count how many they saw. Their results were tallied and added to a global database as part of the international bird count. Tom Benjamin
- Forest preserve employees hauled used Christmas trees to the Baker's Lake heron rookery using all-terrain vehicles and snowmobiles. Volunteers from Citizens for Conservation and Friends of Deer Grove East were waiting on the island to trim the trees and stand them upright or lay them flat, providing nesting structures for herons, egrets and cormorants. Approximately 80 ? 100 Christmas trees are recycled in this way every year to freshen the rookery. Steve Halm
- Children look for birds as part of the Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC). The GBBC is an annual event at which bird watchers of all ages count birds to get a real-time snapshot of where birds are all over the world. The local event was hosted by Citizens for Conservation in Barrington. Tom Benjamin
- Citizens for Conservation (CFC) volunteers started off the new year last Saturday by clearing brush from an oak woods owned by CFC. Dedicated volunteers have worked there for 5 years to clear invasive plants from the 6-acre parcel and have made good progress. Restoration has already begun on the site. Donna Bolzman
- 28 Mixed Media pieces by Peggy Gannon will be displayed at the Starline Gallery in Harvard April 25 from 6-9 p.m. Peggy Gannon
- South Barrington Garden Club Donates $1,200 to Home of the Sparrow Left to Right: Sophia DeVries,Fund Development Mgr of Home of the Sparrow; Nancy Ebner, President of South Barrington Garden Club and garden club members Judy Decker and Susan Slapke Beverly Rupany
- St. Francis de Sales students from the play, "The Little Mermaid." Performances will be held at 7 p.m. May 17 and 18. Angela Mooney
- U9 Barrington Broncos Travel Team Spring Classic 2013 Champions: front row, James Ensign, TJ Swidorski, Ryan Anderson, Tommy Kondraros, Danny Sheedy; and back row, Justin Mirski, Logan Eisenbarth, Tristan Roney, Peter Maestranzi, and Brady Dern. Caroline Eisenbarth
More Port Barrington News
- Port Barrington Business
- Barrington chamber hosts networking event
- McHenry County College to hold supervisory leadership series
- What damage did Cook's sales tax hike do last time?
- Port Barrington Entertainment
- Fred Fest music festival
- Fred Fest raises money for forest preserves
- Search upheld in Aurora heroin case
- Port Barrington Opinion
- Readiness efforts key to ensuring college success
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.243511, -88.198056