Communities » Lake Villa Area News
Lake County boasts two National Blue Ribbon school winnersRockland public school in Libertyville and Prince of Peace Catholic School in Lake Villa have been named National Blue Ribbon Schools. U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan made the announcement Tuesday. Schools are named based on overall academic excellence or progress in closing achievement gaps. "National Blue Ribbon Schools are models of consistent excellence and a resource for other schools and districts," Duncan said.Last Updated Oct 1, 2014 6:59 PM
Lake Villa Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Oct. 9: CLC offers free screenings for National Depression Screening Day
- College of Lake County to give free GED practice tests until Oct. 3
- Oct. 5: CLC Dental Hygiene students and staff walk to support Oral Cancer Federation
- CLC’s 34th ‘Recent Works’ exhibit opens Oct. 3
- College of Lake County, UW-Parkside link programs to expand transfer options for local students
- Eagle Scout Anthony Murray earns his wings.
- Support Bill’s Needs From a Spinal Cord Injury
- Halloween Hustle 5K Fun Run & Walk Coming Up in Palatine: Sign Up Today!
- Girls Weekend at the Grayslake Oasis
- CLC Theatre to present ‘Doctor Dolittle’
- Susan Saint James (seated, second from right) joins classmates of 50 years ago at Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart Reunion Weekend during which she was the keynote speaker Oct. 4. Also pictured are, from left, Peggy Connelly Karol, Geri-Anne Benning, Mariclaire Halligan Dixon, Mary Ann Entrup, Colleen Sullivan Farrell, Saint James and Suzie Floberg Hayes. John Rodas
- Sophomore Willa Hart of Winnetka will perform a cello solo during the Woodlands Academy Symphonic Orchestra?s rendition of "Stille Nacht" by Mannheim Steamroller during the annual Christmas Concert Thursday, Dec. 5, at 7 p.m. This event, open to the public free of charge, features choral and orchestral music of the season. It takes place in the Chapel of the Sacred Heart at the school, 760 E. Westleigh Road, Lake Forest. Visit www.woodlandsacademy.org for more information. Woodlands Academy
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Gamers gather from all across Lake County to play some of their favorite Video Gaming titles with each other! Lauren Hinkes
- A Halloween contest during lunch was a highlight of the day that saw most students and many faculty members at Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in costume Oct. 31. Judges used a decibel-meter app on their iPads to determine winners in various categories based on the cheers contestants received. Pictured, English teacher Erin Brysiewicz as the “Crazy Cat Lady” surrounded by her (advisory group) cats took second-place honors in the Sophomore Advisory Group category. Woodlands Academy
- Heather Robbins, Trauma Treatment Program project director at the Lake County Health Department, received the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve Patriot Award from Michael Peck, Superintendent of the Veterans Assistance Commission of Lake County. She was nominated by Oluwatoyin Hines, a major in the U.S. Army Reserve and an intern at the Health Department. Peck presented the award on behalf of the Illinois Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, which recognizes efforts employers make to support citizen warriors. Lake County Health Department
- Lake County Community Foundation hosts experts on regional cooperation. From left: Sylvia Zaldivar-Sykes executive director of The Lake County Community Foundation, Mike Collins of Kalamazoo Community College, Scott and former state Sen. and current Foundation board member Susan Garrett, Nancy Rotering mayor of Highland Park, Mike Way of Bronson Healthcare System at a gathering of community leaders at Highland Park Country Club to to learn about a unique collaboration between Kalamazoo Valley Community College and Bronson Healthcare system in western Michigan and what Lake County can learn from such partnerships. The Lake County Community Foundation
- Sisters Lisa Clair (left), freshman, and Kristen Clair, sophomore, of Lake Forest were among the eight student recipients of first quarter Sacred Heart awards presented Oct. 23 at Woodlands Academy. They were nominated by their fellow students for exemplifying the Sacred Heart goal of commitment to the building of community as a Christian value. Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart
- A 6:30 p.m. open house Nov. 12 will showcase the unique educational experience at Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart, 760 E. Westleigh Road in Lake Forest. Visitors will be able to tour the school, meet with teachers and coaches, and learn about the many exciting clubs and activities that are available to students. Woodlands Academy
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
Millburn 6th grade boys basketball wins St. Pat's tournament!
bottom row, left to right - Dejan Djenadic, Matthew Grzesiak, Blake Diehl, Nathan Papierniak, Jason Langevin, Gerritt Klein, Ariya Jahromi. Top row, left to right - Jimmy Klem, Sam Inmon, Carter Mueller, Luke Anderson, Clayton Nix, Gabe Schmitt, Dylan Paquette, Luke Behrens, Tommy St. John, David Garcia, Jake Magad, Tyler Donovan Donna / Donovan
- Students and staff at Millburn Elementary School had the opportunity to honor their military heroes past and present. With less than a week's notice, more than 220 heroes were honored turning the military wall into a military hallway. The heroes will be honored for the entire month of November. Allison Martin
- Music in the Box's Music Masters is now accepting drop-ins for our Summer Classes! Come join us. Please check out the website, www.musicinthebox.com, for dates and times to choose your class. Pictured Ms. Nicole with students taken by Music Masters owner Ginger Acopiado
- The women's team for Red Dot Arms participates in Lake Villa water fights
- The Men's team for Red Dot Arms participates in Lake Villa water fights.
- Guests young and old sign the Autograph poster to celebrate local author, Kelly Polark's new picture book, ROCKABET:CLASSIC EDITION, at Fox Lake Library on Monday night. Tom Maple
- A deer just outside my back door in Lake Villa on Christmas Night. Robb Douglas
St. Joseph Catholic School students pray the rosary together.
Over 500 people gathered in Sunrise Rotary Park in Libertyville to pray the rosary together and launch balloons tied together in the shape of a rosary. Denise Carr
U11 Chicago Kickers wear pink in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month in October. Money raised in the t-shirt fundraiser was donated to Susan G. Komen. Picture was taken at practice.
From left: Coach: Lance Larson Top row: Milan S., Aiden F, Jaxon V., Evan L, Sergio A, Aiden T., Ben M, Preston K, Grant G, Coach:Ken Getzinger Bottom row: Paul O, Timmy P, Brendan G, Chris M, George G, Patrick M, Connor S, Dimitri C, Anthony M, Laying down: Trevor M. (not pictured: James L) Picture taken by parent
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
Wine Tasting Banishes Cabin Fever For Record Crowd
Barry and Mary Ellen Masek of Park Ridge enjoy swirling and sipping one of 60 wines at Clearbrook’s 50th annual A Grapevine of Friends Wine Tasting. More than 450 people attended the wine extravaganza. Chicago Corporate Photography
- Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart seniors (from left) Bunny Olson of Evanston, Charlotte McMenamin Walshe of Highland Park, and Anna Deberry of Green Oaks, welcomed the class of 2017 to the Lake Forest school Aug. 28. Woodlands Academy
- Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart sophomores Ellie Randolph of Lake Forest, Arminda Downey-Mavromatis of Gurnee and Elena Gutierrez of Waukegan (left to right) combined for a perfect 12-0 record en route to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place honors in the Lincoln-Douglas Novice Division at the 2013 Munster Open Debate Tournament in Munster, Ind. In addition, Downey-Mavromatis was named the Novice Division Tournament Champion. The Nov. 16 event drew 327 debaters from 18 schools in three states. Woodlands Academy
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Grayslake Central High School
- 400 N. Lake St.
Grayslake, Il 60030
- Grayslake North High School
- 1925 North Route 83
Grayslake, Il 60030
- Black/Vegas Gold
- Lakes Community High School
- 1600 Eagle Way
Lake Villa, Il 60046
- Royal Blue/White
Daily Herald Communities
- Gateway to the Lake Region
- 42.417546, -88.08236
- Lake County