Communities » Lake Villa Area News
Weather service warns of slight flooding risk on Des Plaines, DuPage, Fox riversThe National Weather Service issued flood warnings for the next few days for parts of the Des Plaines, DuPage and Fox rivers.Last Updated Nov 28, 2015 12:50 PM
Black Friday deals also on new school clothesUpdated Nov 27, 2015 4:36 PM
Andy Gomez of Gurnee said he took advantage of Black Friday deals at Gurnee Mills to buy his son clothes for a switch to a new school.
From Indiana to Racine to Black Friday at Gurnee MillsUpdated Nov 27, 2015 4:34 PM
Part of Tracy Anderson's Thanksgiving is traveling from Indiana to Racine with a Black Friday stop at Gurnee Mills.
Thanksgiving fatigue not an excuse on Black FridayUpdated Nov 27, 2015 4:31 PM
Debbie Stigler of McHenry said she arrived at Gurnee Mills at 7 a.m. Friday and grabbed deals on a dehydrator and clothes at Bass Pro Shop.
Jazz band fundraiser for Honor FlightUpdated Nov 26, 2015 4:37 PM
Lake County Honor Flight is hosting a fundraiser from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m. Saturday at the Khayat Lake House, 525 Rockland Road, Lake Bluff. The goal is to fly 23 veterans to Washington, D.C., in April 2016.
Lake County jail guard files discrimination lawsuitUpdated Nov 25, 2015 5:23 PM
A Lake County jail employee has filed a federal lawsuit claiming he was discriminated against when he was reprimanded for an altercation that seriously injured an inmate.
Enjoy an old fashioned Christmas at BrushwoodUpdated Nov 24, 2015 1:22 PM
Brushwood Center at Ryerson Woods will host a new program seasoned with Christmases past from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, Dec, 12, at the Ryerson Woods Forest Preserve. The free event will include caroling, ornament making, cookies and cocoa. Sing-a-long Music Books will be provided.
Video: Walk the Gliniewicz crime scenePosted Nov 24, 2015 5:00 AM
Watch the video as Lake County Major Crimes Task Force Cmdr. George Filenko walks Burt Constable through Fox Lake Lt. Joe Gliniewicz’s final steps, where he planted evidence and how investigators unraveled his scheme.
Special report: How Fox Lake cop went from hero to crooked copUpdated Nov 24, 2015 3:33 PM
How painstaking detective work revealed the presumed murder of "hero" cop Charles "Joe" Gliniewicz was a deadly deception.
- Lake County, state races emerge on first day of filing
- Deerfield marijuana dispensary opening next month
- Lake County retired teachers meeting
- Dawn Patrol: One shot in Elgin; Bears beat Packers
- See the winning images of our weekly photo contest
- Dawn Patrol: Aurora robberies may be related; parents get 5 years in starved baby case
- Dawn Patrol: Reward offered in fatal crash, Bears lose
Lake Villa Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Grayslake student works to give gift of hearing
- The Benefits of Alcohol & Drug Treatment Around the Holidays
- #ILGive looks to raise $6 million for social impact organizations in one day
- Faith Lutheran Church celebrates 10 years of their Grass Lake campus
- Volunteers invited to share hope, love during special holiday meal-packing sessions
- CLC troupe presents Winter Dance Concert
- Nov. 20 to Jan. 10: CLC art faculty display works inspired by visit to China
- Check out careers in mechatronics at CLC info session Dec. 10
- Dec. 3: CLC creative writing faculty members to read from their original work
- Dec. 7-8: CLC Theatre auditions for Shakespeare’s ‘The Tempest’
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
"Local Girl Needs Help"
A little girl in our community needs help with medical expenses. Her name is Isabella Oliver. Please see her story at: www.gofundme.com/Isabellasjourney. "Give, and you will receive...The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." Luke 6:38. Friends of Isabella Oliver
- The women's team for Red Dot Arms participates in Lake Villa water fights
- The Men's team for Red Dot Arms participates in Lake Villa water fights.
- A deer just outside my back door in Lake Villa on Christmas Night. Robb Douglas
"Team Building Day at Camp Duncan"
As a hearing itinerant teacher, our students are often the only ones in their school district with a hearing loss. I'm very passionate about creating events for students to come together for a day of team-building and fun! There is an instant bond among the students that that is indescribable and incredibly fulfilling as a teacher. Over 50 students and staff attended made this a memorable event and can't to start planning the next event! Tracy Aleckson
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
- Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart Debate Team members Elena Gutierrez of Waukegan (left) and Arminda Downey-Mavromatis of Gurnee, both sophomores, finished the season by receiving awards at the Illinois Communication and Theatre Association (ICTA) State Tournament held March 15 at Belvidere North High School in Belvidere, Ill. Gutierrez was the top seed (out of a field of 41) in the playoff rounds after achieving an 8-1 record in the preliminary rounds. She ended the tournament as a quarterfinalist. Downey-Mavromatis earned the 6th place speaker award. Kyle Schmitt, coach of the Lake Forest school’s newly revived Debate Team, is proud of its achievements this year. “We are liked and respected newcomers in the northern Illinois debate circuit,” he said following the state meet. Woodlands Academy
- Artwork by Woodlands Academy junior Erika Cerillo of Waukegan is among those featured at the Deer Path Art League Emerging Artists show in Lake Forest now through March 28. This is one of three exhibits in which artwork by several Woodlands Academy students is on display this month. The other shows are at the Lake Forest Library and the University of St. Francis School of Creative Arts in Fort Wayne, Ind. Woodlands Academy
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart students Elizabeth (left) and Laura Bartusiak of Lake Forest were among the volunteers who packed meals at Feed My Starving Children in Libertyville recently. In all, nearly 30 girls from the Lake Forest school helped out Jan. 17 at the Libertyville site, 742 E. Park Ave. Volunteers that afternoon packed 142 boxes which represented 30,672 meals. This amount of meals translates to enough nourishment to feed 84 kids for an entire year.
Woodlands Academy requires each student to do at least 70 hours of community service prior to graduation. Many students, though, are passionate about helping others and perform significantly more hours. Woodlands Academy
More Lake Villa News
- Lake Villa Business
- Black Friday deals also on new school clothes
- From Indiana to Racine to Black Friday at Gurnee Mills
- Thanksgiving fatigue not an excuse on Black Friday
- Lake Zurich Hackney’s to stay open after land deal dies
- Lake Villa hosts TIF session
- Demolition marks the end of mom-and-pop landmark in Volo
- Lake Villa Entertainment
- Jazz band fundraiser for Honor Flight
- CLC art exhibit
- Lake Zurich Hackney’s to stay open after land deal dies
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Grayslake Central High School
- 400 N. Lake St.
Grayslake, Il 60030
- Grayslake North High School
- 1925 North Route 83
Grayslake, Il 60030
- Black/Vegas Gold
- Lakes Community High School
- 1600 Eagle Way
Lake Villa, Il 60046
- Royal Blue/White
Daily Herald Communities
- Gateway to the Lake Region
- 42.417546, -88.08236
- Lake County