Communities » Round Lake Beach Area News
Lake County judge won’t force prosecutors to reoffer plea dealA Lake County judge ruled Wednesday that prosecutors don’t have to reoffer a plea deal rejected months earlier by a Round Lake Park man charged in the murder of a teen over the way he wore his hat. Judge Daniel Shanes said Jose Vergara-Rebollar, 26, knew the ramifications of turning down the offer of a 15-year prison sentence in exchange for pleading guilty to armed violence.Last Updated Apr 23, 2014 5:00 PM
Trial date set in Round Lake Beach murderUpdated Apr 21, 2014 6:42 PM
A Round Lake Park man accused in the murder of a Zion teen will go on trial April 28 after he rejected a plea deal in Lake County court Monday. Jose Vergara-Rebollar is accused in the shooting death of 18-year-old Gabriel Gonzalez.
Grayslake Middle School students and staff shave heads, raise money to fight cancerUpdated Apr 17, 2014 4:30 PM
About 40 Grayslake Middle School students and 10 staff and community members volunteered to have their heads shaved Thursday to raise money for the St. Baldricks Foundation to fight cancer. Participants were required to raise at least $35 to participate.
Images: Photo Contest FinalistsPosted Apr 18, 2014 1:01 AM
Each week you submit your favorite photo. We pick the best of the bunch and select the 12 finalists. Here are the finalists for the week of April 14.
Round Lake Beach Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Weber named Round Lake Area Exchange Club’s hometown hero for April
- Health Department Offers Low-Cost Pet Vaccination Clinic in Lindenhurst
- 4th Fridays at The Starline Gallery celebrates 3rd anniversary
- Registration Deadline Nears for Free K-12 Science Teacher Workshop
- Procrastinators can Celebrate! Scientists Say it’s in Your Genes
- Ela Soccer Becomes the First Soccer Club in Illinois to Receive the 5-Star Competitive Club Award.
- West Chicago Mayor Delivers 2014 State of the City
- Book Bridge Fundraiser a Huge Success
- Local 4-H members part of legislative team in Springfield
- ommission Members Bring Backgrounds to Volunteer Appointments
- Susan Saint James (seated, second from right) joins classmates of 50 years ago at Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart Reunion Weekend during which she was the keynote speaker Oct. 4. Also pictured are, from left, Peggy Connelly Karol, Geri-Anne Benning, Mariclaire Halligan Dixon, Mary Ann Entrup, Colleen Sullivan Farrell, Saint James and Suzie Floberg Hayes. John Rodas
- Sophomore Willa Hart of Winnetka will perform a cello solo during the Woodlands Academy Symphonic Orchestra?s rendition of "Stille Nacht" by Mannheim Steamroller during the annual Christmas Concert Thursday, Dec. 5, at 7 p.m. This event, open to the public free of charge, features choral and orchestral music of the season. It takes place in the Chapel of the Sacred Heart at the school, 760 E. Westleigh Road, Lake Forest. Visit www.woodlandsacademy.org for more information. Woodlands Academy
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
- Dr. Jerry Weber, president of the College of Lake County, gets a blue streak sprayed in his hair from Allison Brand, an elementary education major who volunteered at the 'Light it up Blue" Autism awareness event held April 2 at the college. College of Lake County
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Enroll Lake County! campaign partners organized an event at the Waukegan Public Library Nov. 13. It included the presentation of a proclamation from the Lake County Board signifying it as Enroll Lake County! Day. Shown with the proclamation are: from left, Nancy Bock, executive director, HealthReach; Sonia Mares Dubose, Navigator, A Safe Place; John Shustitzky, CEO, The Alliance for Human Services; Jeanne Ang, Primary Care Services Director, Lake County Health Department; Richard Lee, Executive Director, Waukegan Public Library; Tony Beltran, Executive Director, Lake County Health Department; and Lori Deere, Manager, Women & Adolescent Girls' Health & Wellness, YWCA of Lake County. Enroll Lake County! is a countywide initiative to reach the uninsured and help connect them with the benefits of health insurance coverage under the new health care law. Lake County Health Department
- Extreme Artistry Dancers win 1st place over all at local Rainbow Competition for their Hip Hop Line "Rock With it" Dan Rehling
- Lt. Col. Frank Bart with sixth-graders from Frassati Catholic Academy. Four members of the Wauconda American Legion, including Lt. Bart, spoke to students at Frassati Catholic Academy and Transfiguration Catholic Elementary School in honor of Veterans Day. Lt. Colonel Bart has served in the U.S. Marines for 27 years, including service in Iraq and Afghanistan. He is currently the Mayor of Wauconda and has two children enrolled at Transfiguration School. Jean Simpson
- Gamers gather from all across Lake County to play some of their favorite Video Gaming titles with each other! Lauren Hinkes
- A Halloween contest during lunch was a highlight of the day that saw most students and many faculty members at Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in costume Oct. 31. Judges used a decibel-meter app on their iPads to determine winners in various categories based on the cheers contestants received. Pictured, English teacher Erin Brysiewicz as the “Crazy Cat Lady” surrounded by her (advisory group) cats took second-place honors in the Sophomore Advisory Group category. Woodlands Academy
- Heather Robbins, Trauma Treatment Program project director at the Lake County Health Department, received the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve Patriot Award from Michael Peck, Superintendent of the Veterans Assistance Commission of Lake County. She was nominated by Oluwatoyin Hines, a major in the U.S. Army Reserve and an intern at the Health Department. Peck presented the award on behalf of the Illinois Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, which recognizes efforts employers make to support citizen warriors. Lake County Health Department
- There's a first for everything! Dominic Salvato, age 94, and Helen Mulloy, age 81, both enjoyed their first trip to Wrigley Field Sept. 20 to watch a Cubs game on a recent outing with their senior living community, Oak Hill Supportive Living in Round Lake Beach. The two had a terrific time at the ballpark and look forward to going to a Cubs game again next season, when there is a chance for another amazing first in over 100 years if the Cubs win the World Series. Janette Spenny
- Jessica Ni, a local Vernon Hill resident and a student from Soaring Eagle Kung Fu School at Palatine, won three Gold medals on empty-handed form and weapons and two Silvers at the 2013 Golden State International Wushu Championship, held on Saturday, June 15, 2013 at San Jose, Calif. Soaring Eagle Kung Fu (www.soaringeaglekungfu.com)
- Lake County Community Foundation hosts experts on regional cooperation. From left: Sylvia Zaldivar-Sykes executive director of The Lake County Community Foundation, Mike Collins of Kalamazoo Community College, Scott and former state Sen. and current Foundation board member Susan Garrett, Nancy Rotering mayor of Highland Park, Mike Way of Bronson Healthcare System at a gathering of community leaders at Highland Park Country Club to to learn about a unique collaboration between Kalamazoo Valley Community College and Bronson Healthcare system in western Michigan and what Lake County can learn from such partnerships. The Lake County Community Foundation
- Sisters Lisa Clair (left), freshman, and Kristen Clair, sophomore, of Lake Forest were among the eight student recipients of first quarter Sacred Heart awards presented Oct. 23 at Woodlands Academy. They were nominated by their fellow students for exemplifying the Sacred Heart goal of commitment to the building of community as a Christian value. Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart
- A 6:30 p.m. open house Nov. 12 will showcase the unique educational experience at Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart, 760 E. Westleigh Road in Lake Forest. Visitors will be able to tour the school, meet with teachers and coaches, and learn about the many exciting clubs and activities that are available to students. Woodlands Academy
"Lucky the hound dog howlin for spring to come!"
My name is Dina Anzalone and this is my bassett hound named Lucky. We are from Round Lake Beach. This picture was taken just a few days ago. It was quiet cold out and I told him Lucy spring isn't coming anytime soon he let out a big howl and I so happened to snap a picture at that time. I'm guessing he is ready to get out in some warm weather ... Dina Anzalone
- Music in the Box's Music Masters is now accepting drop-ins for our Summer Classes! Come join us. Please check out the website, www.musicinthebox.com, for dates and times to choose your class. Pictured Ms. Nicole with students taken by Music Masters owner Ginger Acopiado
Pasquale's Pizzeria & Delicatessen recently took 7th place in the world with this stuffed Crust BLT Pizza
Come get one for yourself at 1506 W Algonquin Road in Palatine IL 60067; 847-221-5922 Pasquale's Pizzeria & Delicatessen
- Praying Mantis appears to be ready to fire up the grill on our patio. Cheryl Newman
- The women's team for Red Dot Arms participates in Lake Villa water fights
- The Men's team for Red Dot Arms participates in Lake Villa water fights.
- Round Lake Beach resident Michael Martinez (center), who appears as spooky mime at Six Flags Great America ?Fright Fest,? recently posed for promotional photos for partner LifeSource. Here, he's joined by fellow cast member Mark Kosten, and Round Lake Park blood donor Trina Perry. Six Flags Great America is helping LifeSource by offering discounted Fright Fest tickets to blood donors at select locations from Oct. 12-16. Donors will receive a $20 off coupon to Fright Fest (for up to four patrons). For more information, call (877) 543-3768, or visit www.lifesource.org. Joe White
- Star player Munoz Jr. #23 runs for a big gain against the Grayslake Colts in Round Lake Park District Flyweight Football David Davenport
- St. Mary of the Annunciation School in Mundelein held traditional May Crowning ceremony today. The students participated in a ceremony to honor the Virgin Mary as the "Queen of May." Fifth graders placed a crown of flowers on the statue of Mary. Jean Simpson
More Round Lake Beach News
- Round Lake Beach Business
- Grayslake students shave heads, raise money to fight cancer
- Round Lake Beach Entertainment
- Grayslake students shave heads, raise money to fight cancer
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.377155, -88.084105
- Lake County