Breaking News Bar
updated: 7/3/2012 1:36 PM

Some half dozen suburbs cancel fireworks displays

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

The fireworks show scheduled for tonight at Cary's Summer Celebration won't go on. The suburb joined Antioch, Mundelein and Wheaton on Monday as communities calling off fireworks shows due to increased fire risk from dry weather or weekend storm damage. Carol Stream announced today it's fireworks display also has been canceled.

The city of St. Charles decided to go ahead with its fireworks show after a deluge of rain on Sunday eliminated dry-ground concerns.

The decision in Cary to cut the show was made jointly by the Cary Fire Protection District, the Cary Police Department, the McHenry County Conservation District and the Cary Park District.

There was a risk of fire if the fireworks display went on as planned, as the lack of significant rainfall has caused extreme dry ground conditions.

"Safety is the number one priority," Dan Jones, the park district's executive director, said in a statement.

Officials say they will reschedule the show for later on this summer, but a date has not yet been set.

The park district paid $9,000 for the show, which was scheduled to last about a half-hour.

But it's not all bad news.

The concert featuring the band 28 Days will still go on as planned from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Rotary Bandshell in Lions Park. There is no charge for parking or admission.

For more information about the festival, visit www.carypark.com.

Antioch officials announced Monday afternoon that due to increased fire risk inflamed by dry weather conditions, the fireworks would not go on as scheduled.

"Nobody wants to have to take away anything like that, but safety first," said Antioch Mayor Larry Hanson. "You heard it from your emergency agencies -- it's all over this part of the Midwest."

Mundelein also scrapped plans for its fireworks, but officials haven't decided if they'll reschedule the show or simply double the budget for the 2013 Independence Day fireworks show, Assistant Village Administrator Michael Flynn said.

Wauconda and Round Lake Beach already had postponed their own fireworks shows because of dry conditions. Neither Antioch nor Wauconda have set new dates yet, while Round Lake Beach has set Sept. 2 as the do-over night. The details for that showing will be identical to the former date -- at 9:30 p.m. at Hook Lake, preceded by musical entertainment.

The Fox River Grove fireworks show that had been scheduled for Saturday in Picnic Grove Park, was also cancelled, due to dry conditions brought on by the drought. The show has been rescheduled for Saturday, Sept. 8.

On Monday in St. Charles, the grounds at Pottawatomie Park were a bit greener and notably more moist than in recent weeks. St. Charles and its neighbors logged the highest amount of precipitation in the 24 hours between Sunday morning and Monday morning with 1.33 inches, according to the National Weather Service.

The fireworks begin at dusk and are typically viewed by thousands of people who fill Pottawatomie Park or Ferson Creek Park. The parks open at 8 a.m. Picnic tables will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Food and games are available at the River View Miniature Golf Course.

Swanson Pool at Pottawatomie Park also opens at noon for park district residents and season pass holders. All others get access to the pool beginning at 12:30 p.m. It closes at 6 p.m.

The Fox Valley Concert Band will provide music from 4 to 5:30 p.m. in the amphitheater. Red Woody will take the stage at 6 p.m.

If inclement weather, such as seen on Sunday, strikes again, fireworks will be rescheduled for the next clear evening.

Batavia will also proceed with its firework show, officials said Monday. Mayor Jeff Schielke said he and Fire Chief Randy Deicke have checked the dryness of the soybean field at Mooseheart where the fireworks are fired from.

"It's fairly green out there," Schielke said, noting the fire department will be on hand in case something does catch on fire.

Huntley will decide by noon today on whether to have its show.

Sleepy Hollow officials will still be holding theirs on Wednesday.

Elgin this year is participating in the new Northwest Fourth Fest, being held at the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates.

Fireworks are still scheduled for Wednesday.

Share

Interested in reusing this article?

Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.

The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.

Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *

Message (optional)

Success - Reprint request sent Click to close
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here