District 54 kindergarten registration starts Jan. 25

Updated 1/26/2021 8:42 AM

District 54 kindergarten registration for the 2021-22 school year will be open on Monday, Jan. 25, 2021. A child whose fifth birthday falls on or before Sept. 1, 2021, is eligible to enroll in kindergarten in 2021.

Families should begin the registration process online. If you have a student currently enrolled in District 54, you can register through your Parent Portal account. Families new to District 54 can register online at sd54.org/registration. Once your application is complete, the school office will contact you to schedule your in-person appointment at the school starting Feb. 3, to present the documentation listed below and sign documents to complete their student's registration.


Families must begin the registration process online prior to scheduling an appointment. If your child is currently enrolled at the District 54 Early Learning Center and will be going to kindergarten next year you do not need to register your child at this time.

Registration Procedures

Parents or legal guardians must provide the following information to complete the enrollment process at their neighborhood school:

• Proof of immunizations,

• Proof of residence (see details below), and

• Birth Certificate or Passport (original with seal). Official birth certificates are issued by the county clerk in the county in which the child was born. Hospital certificates are not acceptable.

Proof of Residence

Families new to District 54 must provide documented proof of their residence within the boundaries of School District 54 at the time of kindergarten registration. Current District 54 families will provide this documentation when registering their students for the 2021-2022 school year. All documents provided must be current, valid for 2021-2022, and reflect your name and address within the boundaries of District 54.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service

To prove residence, families must provide a copy of at least one of the following documents:

• The most recent real estate tax bill for the residence showing the owner as the taxpayer

• A signed lease for the residence including a beginning and end date, or a closing statement for the purchase of the residence.

They must also provide a copy of at least two of the following documents reflecting your name and address within District 54 boundaries:

• Illinois driver’s license

• Gas, water, electric, internet, television, telephone bill or letter confirming service connection

• Public assistance documentation

• Voter registration card

• Home or vehicle insurance certificate

• Illinois automobile registration, or


• Receipt for local city vehicle sticker where applicable.

Any person asserting legal custody over a student, who is not the student’s parent or legal guardian, must provide current documentation from a court supporting the student custody arrangement.

Consumable Materials Fees

Parents or guardians are required to pay a $50 consumable materials fee per student prior to the start of the school year. Payments can be made by credit card or electronic check through the Parent Portal account or by check or money order at the child's school. This fee covers the cost of workbooks, paper, art supplies and other items used by students.

For those students who may qualify for special education services in the district, the parents may be referred to our Special Education Department.

District officials can better plan for kindergarten placements if the majority of families register at this time.

For transportation/boundary questions, call (847) 357-5104.

For general questions, call your neighborhood school. If you are unsure what school your child will attend, visit sd54.org/districtboundaries.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.