ECC's Kids' College offering popular classes online this summer
Elgin Community College's summer Kids' College has moved many of its most popular courses online. Registration is now open for a variety of classes including art, coding, graphic design, and more. There are classes for children and teens ages 5 to 15.
"We have worked hard to connect with partners who can offer content in a virtual manner to enrich the lives of kids this summer," said Karin Quist, Kids College coordinator.
The Department of Continuing Education is continuing to work on bringing virtual cooking, anime, art and more to the summer lineup. The department also hopes to offer the Kids College Manufacturing Camps in 3-D printing, robotics, and welding in the fall.
For the full list of Kids' College courses and additional information, visit elgin.edu/kidscollege. Make sure to select 'Summer 2020' from the selection tabs when browsing course offerings.
The offerings include:
• Photographic Composition + Critique: Kids, age 12 or older, can learn what makes a photo interesting and turn your ordinary snapshots into art from 10 to 11 a.m. Monday to Friday, June 22-26. After this class, you will be able to create images using time tested compositional principles that will make your pictures stand out. You will also have an opportunity to share your images and receive valuable feedback from your instructor and classmates. You will need a webcam, access to Zoom, and a personal device or digital camera. Cost is $75.
• Coding With Python: If you are ready to learn more advanced programming and writing code for games, join this online class from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, June 22-26 and July 13-17. Kids, age 10 to 15, can learn complex programming concepts including if-statements and loops. Gain an understanding of the structure for writing code, practice your new skills, and even write some games. Explore common programming languages including Python and PyGame. This class will be presented using Zoom. Cost is $95 for each class.
• Coding With Blockly: Blockly is a beginning coding class using block based coding. Students, age 10 or older, will learn basics of coding and write programs using what they have learned from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Monday to Friday, June 22-26. Students stack blocks together to create chunks of code. This is s great way to get started with coding. As students progress through the week, they will work toward more complex concepts as they continue to create fun coding projects. This class is presented using Zoom. Cost is $95.
• Online Cartooning Class: Young Rembrandts is keeping young artists, age 5 to 12, busy learning with new drawing techniques and skills on Monday to Thursday, June 29 to July 27. This four-week class brings their step-by-step teaching method into your home with the new video lessons. All you need is a pencil, paper, and markers. Easy to follow, 45-minute fun cartoon drawing lessons can be enjoyed by the entire family. Registration deadline is June 26. Cost is $50.
• Anime Manga: Calling all otaku kids, age 6 to 10! Join the Anime Manga workshop and learn to draw your favorite Japanese style art. This five-day workshop on July 6-10 will tap into everyone's imagination while learning to draw cute manga inspired characters, accessories and costumes. Your child's talent is about to take off -- register now to save your child's spot in this kawaii workshop focused on technique and creativity! Workshops are 5 days, 90-100 minutes per day. Students receive one email each day for 5 days with 2 links to 2 separate lessons. So workshops include 10 themed links (or 10 lessons) over 5 days. Materials needed: Sharpie, marker and color pencil, 8.5- by 11-inch paper. Cost is $75.
• Scratch Coding: This is a beginning coding class using block based coding. Students, age 10 or older, will learn basics of coding and write programs using what they have learned from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Monday to Friday, July 13-17. Scratch is a block-based visual programming language. Scratch is developed by the MIT Media Lab, and students can create online projects using a block-like interface. This is s great way to get started with coding. As we progress through the week, we will work toward more complex concepts as we continue to create fun coding projects. This is presented via Zoom. Scratch can be run from within a modern web browser or downloaded as an app. Cost is $95.
• Funny Animal Pets: Make quarantine more colorful! Students, age 5 to 7, will draw some funny Animal Pets, adorable Pet Shop scene on Monday to Friday, July 13-17. Learn about personification, expressions and color work as they complete our Talking Animals and intricate Aquarium scene. Workshops are 4 days, 50 minutes per day. Students receive one email each day for 4 days with links to lessons Animal Pets Pet Shop Talking Animals Aquarium. Cost is $50.
• Faces, Fashions, and Flowers: For fashionistas, florists and budding makeup artists! Every day, students, ages 6-10, will be challenged and delighted drawing images that exude femininity and loveliness. Students will draw and color facial features, stretch their imaginations illustrating whimsical flowers and challenge their creativity when tying them all together in fanciful settings. Prepare for elegance and a heap of drawing excellence! Workshops are 5 days, 90-100 minutes per day on July 13-17. Students receive one email each day for 5 days with 2 links to 2 separate lessons. So workshops include 10 themed links (or 10 lessons) over 5 days. Materials list: Marker or colored pencil, 8.5- by 11-inch paper. Cost is $75.
• Teen Graphic Design: Join ECC Graphic Design Instructor Yvonne Beckway in creating four projects combining design motifs and ideas and found objects in your home from 1 to 4 p.m. Monday to Thursday, July 20-23. Each day's three-hour Zoom lesson will feature a different technique and project. Make a magazine collage; create a celebrity portrait with colored paper; use coffee ink to make a painting: create your own silhouette plant portrait. This is an advanced class for the serious Graphic Design student, age 14 or older. You will be supplied with a materials list before class begins. Cost is $169.
To be added to an email list for upcoming class announcements, please email email@example.com.