Communities » Lake in the Hills Area News
McHenry County District 5 hopefuls have different paths to government efficiencyThree candidates seeking the GOP nomination in the March 15 primary for the McHenry County Board District 5 have differing views on how each would improve governmental efficiency. Voters will chose two from among incumbent Michael Skala and challengers Joeseph Calomino and Andrew Snarski to advance to the November election.Last Updated Feb 11, 2016 12:48 PM
Seniors lead Benet past Marian CentralUpdated Feb 10, 2016 10:14 PM
Benet earned its first East Suburban Catholic Conference championship since 1998 with a blowout victory against Marian Central.
St. Charles North upsets Jacobs in OTUpdated Feb 9, 2016 10:22 PM
St. Charles North surprised Jacobs 53-46 in overtime in boys basketball action Tuesday night.
Grant snaps up regional titleUpdated Feb 6, 2016 8:48 PM
Cary-Grove’s John Cullen won his first regional championship and Grant took the team title Saturday at the Class 3A McHenry wrestling regional.
St. Edward falls in 2A title game; Geneva’s Loberg gets 1,000th pointUpdated Feb 11, 2016 10:29 PM
St. Edward’s girls basketball team lost to Bishop McNamara 48-35 Thursday in the Class 2A Wimington regional championship game. Meanwhile, in Elgin, Geneva senior Grace Loberg scored her 1,000th career point in the Vikings’ 77-32 win over Elgin High.
Cortez-Harvey stepping up in a big way for St. EdwardUpdated Feb 11, 2016 10:06 PM
St. Edward coach P.J. White thinks the world of junior guard Kelvin Cortez-Harvey, and he hopes the rest of the state feels the same way despite the Green Wave’s so-so 13-11 record.
Scouting Fox Valley area wrestling sectionalsUpdated Feb 10, 2016 8:21 PM
Previewing this weekend’s wrestling sectionals involving Fox Valley area teams and athletes.
Lovitsch, Guenther help Grayslake North past JacobsUpdated Feb 9, 2016 10:30 PM
On Tuesday night, Grayslake North invited Jacobs for a Fox Valley Conference girls basketball divisional crossover game. Late in the first quarter, the Golden Eagles pulled within a single point at 7-6. But from that point, the Knights (16-13) went on a 16-2 run to break the game open on the way to a 53-32 victory.
Images: St. Charles North vs. Jacobs boys basketballUpdated Feb 9, 2016 8:35 PM
The St. Charles North High School boys basketball team hosted Jacobs on Tuesday, Feb. 9, in St. Charles.
- Prairie Ridge takes tops honors at Schaumburg
- Ten stories you may have missed this weekend
- Three straight FVC Valley titles for Huntley
- Aurora Central Catholic wins 1A regional
- Images: Competitive Cheerleading finals, Buffalo Grove takes top honors
Lake in the Hills Calendar
Recently shared by others
- MCC to offer FAFSA financial aid workshop Feb. 18
- Janus Theatre pulls back the curtain, opens rehearsals
- Acclaimed songwriter Sam Baker plays the ECC Arts Center Club Feb. 28
- Harriet Jacobs’ ‘Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl’ comes to life Feb. 25 at ECC
- Woodlands Academy, Chicago Visitors Champion Malala’s Quest for Girls’ Education
- Singers Of United Lands to perform at MCC Feb. 16
- Feb. 19: The Peking Acrobats 30th Anniversary Tour dazzles at CLC
- CLC Theatre presents Shakespeare’s ‘The Tempest’ Feb. 26-28 and March 3-5
- Feb. 25: CLC presents benefit performances of ‘The Vagina Monologues’
- Learn about the amazing life of Leonard Nimoy from CLC professors
- The Easter Bunny and Bunny Assistant, Madalynn Emberton, welcomed over 100 children at the Living Waters Lutheran Church Community Easter Egg Hunt on April 4th. The event was a great success with 4,000 filled eggs to be found, plus coffee and treats for the adults. Anne Tanner
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- Full-day kindergarten students at Neubert Elementary School in Algonquin and principal Darlene Warner celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday. He was born March 2, 1904 and his books continue to inspire and amuse children every day! Patricia Rasmussen
- Lake in the Hills residents Riley Chadwick and her brother, Jeremy, play the game "Operation" with Chicago Blackhawks mascot TommyHawk while their mother, Darcy, donates blood at a LifeSource blood drive held March 21 in Rosemont. Dave Silbar
- Lindsey Willis, 13, of Algonquin won two Gold medals on May 10 at te WKC World Karate Championships in Melbourne, Austrlia. She competed as a member of the AAU/USA National Karate Team. Suzanne Willis
- Three Huntley Unit District 158 elementary schools — Mackeben, Chesak, and Leggee — each received more than $1,000 from recent Dine-N-Share fundraisers at Culver’s in Huntley. Richard Myers, right, of Culver’s presented checks totaling $3,190.42 to Mackeben Principal Alice Stech, 2nd from right, Chesak Principal Jen Zayas, and District 158 Director of Communications Dan Armstrong, representing Leggee. The fundraising feat shows the great level of support the district receives from both residents and the local business community. Courtesy of Culver's Huntley
- Dancers from Haper College Dance and Pom team and from Summers Academy of Dance in Crystal Lake, helped instruct mini-routines and hosted fun free-style dancing on Feb. 15th for tweens ages 10-14. The next Hip Hop Explosion is on March 15th for $6. Janet Kay of from me 2 you photography
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart students Elizabeth (left) and Laura Bartusiak of Lake Forest were among the volunteers who packed meals at Feed My Starving Children in Libertyville recently. In all, nearly 30 girls from the Lake Forest school helped out Jan. 17 at the Libertyville site, 742 E. Park Ave. Volunteers that afternoon packed 142 boxes which represented 30,672 meals. This amount of meals translates to enough nourishment to feed 84 kids for an entire year.
Woodlands Academy requires each student to do at least 70 hours of community service prior to graduation. Many students, though, are passionate about helping others and perform significantly more hours. Woodlands Academy
John Radtke Assistant Sports Editor/Fox Valley Sports and Online Prep Sports Manager
Madhu Krishnamurthy Staff Writer
Mike Smith Fox Valley Editor
Susan Klovstad Community News Editor
More Lake in the Hills News
- Lake in the Hills Sports
- St. Edward falls in 2A title game; Geneva’s Loberg gets 1,000th point
- Cortez-Harvey stepping up in a big way for St. Edward
- Benet earns ESCC championship with different lineup
- Scouting Fox Valley area wrestling sectionals
- Lovitsch, Guenther help Grayslake North past Jacobs
- St. Charles North upsets Jacbos in OT
- Images: St. Charles North vs. Jacobs boys basketball
- Prairie Ridge takes tops honors at Schaumburg
- Lake in the Hills Business
- Why it's harder to get rid of your old TV
- MCC offers OSHA Electrical Safety courses
- Lake in the Hills Opinion
- Endorsement: Roskam for GOP in 6th Congressional District
- Endorsement: Howland for Democrats in 6th District
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Crystal Lake South High School
- 1200 S. McHenry Av.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Harry D. Jacobs High School
- 2601 Bunker Hill Dr.
Algonquin, Il 60102
- Golden Eagles
- Huntley High School
- 13719 Harmony Rd.
Huntley, Il 60142
- Red Raiders
Daily Herald Communities
- 60102, 60156
- 42.186729, -88.347429
- McHenry County