Communities » Lake in the Hills Area News
Low-profile veterans support group celebrates 20 yearsTLS Veterans in McHenry just might be the best kept secret among organizations reaching out to military families. Its leaders want to let the secret out.Last Updated Aug 19, 2016 11:20 AM
Suburban pilot ready to soar at Chicago Air and Water ShowUpdated Aug 19, 2016 6:59 AM
McHenry County biplane pilot Susan Dacy is proud to be a part of the 58th annual Chicago Air and Water Show. Also featured is the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds plus the debut of the F-35 fighter jet.
Huntley would appear the team to beat in division-less FVCUpdated Aug 24, 2016 3:47 PM
The Fox Valley Conference’s new look is actually retro. For the first time since 2005, the FVC is one league, no divisions.
Girls volleyball: Larkin tops St. Edward in 3Updated Aug 23, 2016 10:22 PM
Larkin’s girls volleyball team opened the season with a 3-set win over St. Edward Tuesday.
Boys soccer: Elgin, Streamwood post season-opening winsUpdated Aug 23, 2016 10:22 PM
The boys soccer teams from Elgin and Streamwood each won their season-opening games on Tuesday.
Big R retailer won’t be coming to Lake in the HillsUpdated Aug 23, 2016 8:56 AM
Midwestern retailer Big R won’t be taking over the defunct Dominick’s property in Lake in the Hills after all.
Boys soccer: Jacobs, Dundee-Crown open with winsUpdated Aug 22, 2016 10:08 PM
The boys soccer teams from Jacobs and Dundee-Crown each opened their seasons with wins Monday.
Boys golf: Fox Valley scoutingUpdated Aug 21, 2016 6:33 PM
Here’s what to expect from the high school boys golf teams of the Fox Valley this fall.
Hockey: Crystal Lake South grad Gustafson to receive Allison awardUpdated Aug 19, 2016 4:26 PM
Shane Gustafson carries the legacy of former Crystal Lake South hockey teammate and referee pal/motivator Ben Allison on the ice for every game he officiates.
- Girls golf: Scouting the Fox Valley
- Jacobs looking to raise the bar
- Crystal Lake South lacks depth but has experience
Lake in the Hills Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Artful Women series continues with author Elizabeth Berg Sunday
- CKI to celebrate Rosh Hodesh at Anderson Gardens
- Cary Park District to host Happy Trails Fishing Derby
- College of DuPage to Host ‘Writing on the Edge’ Conference Sept. 24
- Chaparral Football Preps for 2016-2017 Season, Special Recognition Games
- Jewish congregation welcomes new rabbi
- Renowned organist Diane Bish to perform dedication concert Oct. 2
- Program pays tribute to McHenry County ladies’ literary society
- Friends of Hackmatack Refuge hosts Monarch Mania Fair Sunday
- Sign up for Pets-a-Palooza’s pet walk and parade
- The Easter Bunny and Bunny Assistant, Madalynn Emberton, welcomed over 100 children at the Living Waters Lutheran Church Community Easter Egg Hunt on April 4th. The event was a great success with 4,000 filled eggs to be found, plus coffee and treats for the adults. Anne Tanner
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- Full-day kindergarten students at Neubert Elementary School in Algonquin and principal Darlene Warner celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday. He was born March 2, 1904 and his books continue to inspire and amuse children every day! Patricia Rasmussen
- Lake in the Hills residents Riley Chadwick and her brother, Jeremy, play the game "Operation" with Chicago Blackhawks mascot TommyHawk while their mother, Darcy, donates blood at a LifeSource blood drive held March 21 in Rosemont. Dave Silbar
- Lindsey Willis, 13, of Algonquin won two Gold medals on May 10 at te WKC World Karate Championships in Melbourne, Austrlia. She competed as a member of the AAU/USA National Karate Team. Suzanne Willis
- Three Huntley Unit District 158 elementary schools — Mackeben, Chesak, and Leggee — each received more than $1,000 from recent Dine-N-Share fundraisers at Culver’s in Huntley. Richard Myers, right, of Culver’s presented checks totaling $3,190.42 to Mackeben Principal Alice Stech, 2nd from right, Chesak Principal Jen Zayas, and District 158 Director of Communications Dan Armstrong, representing Leggee. The fundraising feat shows the great level of support the district receives from both residents and the local business community. Courtesy of Culver's Huntley
- Dancers from Haper College Dance and Pom team and from Summers Academy of Dance in Crystal Lake, helped instruct mini-routines and hosted fun free-style dancing on Feb. 15th for tweens ages 10-14. The next Hip Hop Explosion is on March 15th for $6. Janet Kay of from me 2 you photography
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart students Elizabeth (left) and Laura Bartusiak of Lake Forest were among the volunteers who packed meals at Feed My Starving Children in Libertyville recently. In all, nearly 30 girls from the Lake Forest school helped out Jan. 17 at the Libertyville site, 742 E. Park Ave. Volunteers that afternoon packed 142 boxes which represented 30,672 meals. This amount of meals translates to enough nourishment to feed 84 kids for an entire year.
Woodlands Academy requires each student to do at least 70 hours of community service prior to graduation. Many students, though, are passionate about helping others and perform significantly more hours. Woodlands Academy
John Radtke Assistant Sports Editor/Fox Valley Sports and Online Prep Sports Manager
Madhu Krishnamurthy Staff Writer
Mike Smith Fox Valley Editor
Susan Klovstad Community News Editor
More Lake in the Hills News
- Lake in the Hills Sports
- Huntley would appear the team to beat in division-less FVC
- Girls volleyball: Larkin tops St. Edward in 3
- Boys soccer: Elgin, Streamwood post season-opening wins
- Boys soccer: Jacobs, Dundee-Crown open with wins
- Boys golf: Fox Valley scouting
- Hockey: Crystal Lake South grad Gustafson to receive Allison award
- Girls golf: Scouting the Fox Valley
- Jacobs looking to raise the bar
- Lake in the Hills Business
- Big R retailer won’t be coming to Lake in the Hills
- Lake in the Hills Entertainment
- Low-profile veterans support group celebrates 20 years
- Suburban pilot ready to soar at Chicago Air and Water Show
- Veteran came back from ‘a very low place’
- TLS Veterans to host benefit concert Aug. 26
- Lake in the Hills Opinion
- No roads named after this Walkup
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
- Crystal Lake South High School
- 1200 S. McHenry Av.
Crystal Lake, Il 60014
- Harry D. Jacobs High School
- 2601 Bunker Hill Dr.
Algonquin, Il 60102
- Golden Eagles
- Huntley High School
- 13719 Harmony Rd.
Huntley, Il 60142
- Red Raiders
Daily Herald Communities
- 60102, 60156
- 42.186729, -88.347429
- McHenry County