With new owner in place, concerns remain over future of Stratford Square Mall
Stratford Square Mall in Bloomingdale has a new owner, but its future is still uncertain.
Macy's to furlough majority of its 130,000 workersMacy's says it will stop paying tens of thousands of employees who were thrown out of work when the chain closed its stores in response to collapsing sales during the pandemic.
St. Charles wants 'wow' factor on former police station siteThe former police station has been identified as St. Charles' next major redevelopment opportunity, a chance to create economic activity on what is otherwise a municipal campus. When it comes to determining what exactly the project should entail, however, aldermen would prefer to remain open-minded.
U.S. stocks rebound with health care adding boostU.S. stocks rallied as investors saw glimmers of optimism in efforts to deliver rapid testing for the new coronavirus. The dollar rose.
Rent strike idea gaining steam during coronavirus crisisNew York, Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco and St. Louis are among many cities that have temporarily banned evictions, but advocates for the strike are demanding that rent payments be waived, not delayed, for those in need during the crisis.
U.S. set to report millions more unemployment claims this weekThe number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits is forecast to set a record for the second straight week following 3.28 million in last week's data, with the darkest prediction expecting the figure to almost double.
Analysis: Virtual trading may outlast the virusAround the world, there are early signs that some of the emergency measures Wall Street is rolling out to keep employees safe in a pandemic will become a lasting practice in an industry that's long mythologized the handshake.
How to create a retirement paycheck that lastsFinancial planners use powerful software to model various ways to tap retirement funds so they can recommend the best options for their clients. Recently, some companies introduced similar software that consumers can use to find the most tax-efficient, sustainable strategies. Here's a look at three of them.
Master the quick and painless money check-inLike cars, relationships and health, personal finance needs maintenance. Routine care now helps you in the future and alerts you to problems.
Suddenly Nextdoor is filled with kind neighbors. But also new kinds of shaming.Nextdoor, a site for people who live in proximity to each other, is filling up with posts from neighbors who want to help. There are offers to go on grocery runs for seniors, people bartering for in-demand goods like toilet paper and fresh veggies, unsolicited advice on social distancing, and attempts to coordinate musical numbers.
German experts say growth rebound could be relatively quickTop German economists are predicting a steep downturn during the virus outbreak but think the recovery could also be quick
Protect your health (and your data): 6 tips for remote working as COVID-19 spreadsAs the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 (coronavirus) continues to increase, organizations across the world have implemented measures to combat the spread of the virus to their employees and customers. One of the most common precautionary measures taken has been instituting or expanding remote working policies.
Suburban Business News
from the staffs of the Daily Herald and the Business Ledger
- BloomingdaleWith new owner in place, concerns remain over future of Stratford Square Mall
- St. CharlesSt. Charles wants 'wow' factor on former police station site
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect distillery lends a helping hand to fight COVID-19
- Lake ForestHorizon donates $1M to Illinois COVID-19 response efforts
- Rolling MeadowsBen Franklin stockholders approve CAFCU acquisition
- GurneeWith new controls in place, Medline again using ethylene oxide at Waukegan plant
- RosemontRestaurants are hurting, and so are suburbs' sales tax hauls
- East Dundee'We will get through this': Dundee community launches food program to support restaurants, families in need
- Rolling MeadowsTowns teaming to reduce congestion at Algonquin, New Wilke roads
- Lake ZurichSuburban distilleries continuing to produce sanitizer
- Oak BrookBlue Martini Lounge sites planned for Schaumburg, Oak Brook, Rosemont
- BataviaBatavia school board opposes TIF extension for One Washington Place
- West ChicagoThird worker at West Chicago factory tests positive for COVID-19
- SchaumburgState seeks use of Schaumburg Marriott as health care command center
- Glen EllynLisle Chinese culture school donates masks, protective gear to hospital, doctors
Through the Film Magnifer: William H Macy, Illinois Bell Strike, Montgomery Wards sking, 1979 blizard and more