North Suburban YMCA to host 'Revive Our Y' 5K
The North Suburban YMCA is encouraging families to stay active and get outside with the "Revive Our Y" 5K Run/Walk scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 14.
As part of the Y's "Fall Fun" series of outdoor events, participants can choose an in-person USATF Certified 5K route that starts at the Y and has staggered start times, or sign up to compete in a virtual 5K that can be completed on any course by Nov. 14. All proceeds benefit the Y's "Revive Our Y" campaign.
"As an organization dedicated to the health and well-being of all, we believe it's more important than ever to provide access to all the physical, social, and emotional resources for our community," said the North Suburban YMCA's CEO Kathy Fielding.
"We had to cancel our Healthy Kids Day 5K in April due to the shelter-in-place order, so we're thrilled to be able to offer one now. This one promises to be a fun challenge for all ages to walk or run in person or virtual. And, because we want to accommodate the entire community, anyone at any age and fitness level is invited to participate."
The 5K race winners will be announced on Facebook Live Saturday, Nov. 14 at 11 a.m. Prizes will be given to the live overall adult male, female, and youth winners, while virtual participants will be entered into a raffle.
The race will be professionally timed by J3 Timing and all race results posted on the Y's website.
During the 5K, the NSYMCA will continue to take ongoing COVID-19 safety precautions for adults and children, including:
• Two races will be held at 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. Each race will have a maximum of 50 runners/walkers, with staggered start times based on a participant's race pace.
• Participants will be assigned a start time based on their stated race pace. Each corral will have a minimum of 10 participants. Participants will be socially distanced at the start line.
• Temperature checks and verbal health screenings will be done on all participants and staff prior to the event. Hand sanitizer and hand washing stations will also be available.
• Face masks must be worn before and after the race. Masks are NOT required while running/walking and can be removed. Masks will be worn by all staff/volunteers for the duration of the event. Disposable masks will be provided to all runners who attend without their own.
• No spectators will be allowed on the route or waiting for race participants at the end of the race.
• Water stations will not be permitted on the race route and water will only be provided at the end of race. Participants that need water during the race should bring a pre-filled water bottle.
• In-person winners will be announced via FB Live by noon the day of race and all race results (virtual & in-person) will be provided on nsymca.org by Sunday, Nov. 15.
Entry fees start at $10 for virtual participation and go up to $70 for a family of four for the in-person run. All proceeds from the "Fall Fun" 5K event will go toward the "Revive Our Y" campaign, which helps the Y with increased cleaning supplies, operation costs due to decreased membership and program participation, financial assistance scholarships for families in need and more.
The sponsors of the NSYMCA's "Revive the Y" 5K Run/Walk include Wintrust Community Banks, Illinois Bone & Joint Institute, Northwestern Medicine, FGK Services, Waterway Carwash, Covenant Living of Northbrook, First Bank of Highland Park, and Align Wellness.
For information and to register, visit nsymca.org.
The North Suburban YMCA services Northbrook and 14 surrounding communities with programs and tools that help its residents become healthier, more connected, and confident.