Lisle village clerk charged with third DUI

Lisle's elected village clerk, who also served as an official for an area Boy Scouts of America council, was charged with drunken driving Aug. 1 after he was found sleeping in his car on Jewell Road in Winfield, officials confirmed Monday.

Timothy Seeden, 57, of the 2200 block of Ridgewood, was charged with DUI and operating an uninsured motor vehicle.

According to court documents, Seeden was charged after a Winfield police officer found him sleeping in his running vehicle at 3:14 a.m. on Jewell Road near Winfield Road.

Seeden was "parked on (the) roadway sleeping in (the) car with it running," according to the police report. The report also said Seeden smelled of alcohol and did not know where he was when he woke up.

According to the report, Seeden had a blood alcohol concentration of .224, nearly three times the legal limit of .08. If convicted, it would be Seeden's third DUI conviction. His previous convictions were in 1983 and 1985

Seeden also served 90 days in the DuPage County jail and was placed on probation after being convicted of resisting and battering a Downers Grove police officer during the 1983 arrest.

Seeden has served as village clerk since 1999 and was most recently re-elected in 2013.

Lisle Mayor Joe Broda said he first learned of Seeden's situation during a brief conversation last week. Broda said Seeden's elected capacity prohibits the village board from taking any action.

"As far as I'm concerned, this is a situation between Clerk Seeden and his personal demons in his mind," Broda said. "We had a brief conversation after the event, but I don't want to dwell on it. He's plenty embarrassed as well as the people around him."

Seeden did not immediately return calls Monday seeking comment.

Seeden, the former director of support services for the Boy Scouts of America Three Fires Council, tendered his resignation to that organization on Friday.

Joe Wiltrout, chief executive officer for the Three Fires Council, confirmed Seeden's status Monday.

"While I cannot discuss personnel issues, I can tell you the Tree Fires Council executive board has reviewed the matter and this individual is no longer employed with the Boy Scouts of America," Wiltrout said. "This behavior does not represent the council or the Boy Scouts of America and we remain committed to providing the best possible Scouting to the youth in the Western communities."

Seeden remains free on $3,000 bail. His next scheduled court appearance is Sept. 4.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the "flag" link in the lower-right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.