The Albright Theatre Company will hold auditions for "The Memory of Water" by Shelagh Stephenson at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 7, and Monday, Sept. 8, on the third floor of the Batavia Government Center, 100 N. Island Ave. Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
Callbacks are optional and may be held at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 9 (by invitation only).
Contact information ( * required )
"The Memory of Water" centers around three sisters -- Teresa, Mary and Catherine -- who use humor (and bickering) to cope with the loss of their mother after her battle with Alzheimer's disease. Coming together after years of separation, the women struggle with their own memories as each sister recalls past events quite differently. Memory is the main theme throughout this tragic, funny and poignant play.
The casting will be for four women (ages 20s to 40s) and two men (ages 30s to 50s).
The character descriptions are:
• Vi -- The mother of Mary, Teresa, and Catherine who has died in her 70s after battling Alzheimer's. Vi appears to Mary as a 40ish-year-old woman and marvels at how her daughters could have turned out so differently from herself. (early 40s)
• Mary -- The middle sister, who has interactions with Vi after Vi's passing and who has bitter memories of her mother. Mary is a doctor with a special interest in a patient who is suffering from memory loss. She is successful, but feels like something is missing. (late 30s-early 40s)
• Teresa -- The eldest sister who lived in closest proximity to Vi and cared for her toward the end her life. She toes the lines of self-martyrdom, jilted by her sisters' absence in caring for Vi. (early-mid 40s)
• Catherine -- She is the youngest sister, who is both egotistical and completely self-conscious. She bounces from guy to guy, always seeking approval and crosses the line with men she shouldn't. (early-mid 30s)
• Mike -- Mary's boyfriend, who happens to be married. He says his wife is ill, but others doubt this story. He loves Mary, yet he won't leave his wife. (late 30s-late 40s)
• Frank -- Teresa's (not first) husband, who met Teresa via a personal ad in the paper. Franks runs a health food/supplement business with Teresa, but hates it. (mid 40s-early 50s)
Performance dates for "The Memory of Water" will be Fridays through Sundays, Oct. 31 to Nov. 15. Rated PG13. Contact the Albright Theatre Company at (630) 406-8838, visit www.albrighttheatre.com, or follow "Albright Theatre" on Twitter for more updates and information.
The rehearsal schedule will be determined by the director and is subject to the availability of the confirmed cast and crew. The Albright Theatre Company is a nonprofit organization that is membership driven and relies upon volunteer actors.