School District 54 will hold kindergarten registration for the 2014-15 school year on Thursday, Feb. 13. Registration will be from 9-11 a.m., 1-2:30 p.m. and 6-8 p.m. at all elementary schools. Parents should go to their neighborhood school to register their child, even if they are applying to attend a school other than their neighborhood school. (Lincoln Prairie is not a neighborhood school).
A child whose fifth birthday falls on or before Sept. 1, 2014, is eligible to enroll in kindergarten in 2014. District 54 follows the Illinois regulations and doesn't admit students whose birth date is after Sept. 1.
District 54 offers online registration to expedite the registration process (visit sd54.org/registration). However, parents or guardians will still need to visit their school to present documentation. Parents or guardians can also still visit their neighborhood school and fill out these enrollment forms by hand.
The registration packet for new students includes the following documents:
• Student Enrollment Form
• Family Census Form
• Proof of Residency Form
• Home Language Survey
• Invoice for Consumable Materials Fee
Additionally, the parent or legal guardian must provide the following information to complete the enrollment process:
• Proof of immunizations
• Birth Certificate (original with seal). Official birth certificates are issued by the county clerk in the county in which the child was born. Hospital certificates are not acceptable.
• Proof of residence
• Phone numbers of people to be contacted in emergencies (neighbors, other family members and work numbers)
• Consumable materials fees
Parents or guardians are required to pay a $50 consumable materials fee by check or money order for each child to cover the cost of workbooks, paper, art supplies, and other items used by students.
Proof of residence
Parents, guardians or persons asserting legal custody of new students must provide documented proof of their residence within the boundaries of School District 54.
Provide a copy of at least one of the following documents to prove residency:
• The most recent real estate tax bill for residence
• Signed lease for the residence
• A closing statement for the purchase of my residence
• Form 891 - Letter of residence in lieu of lease (available at time of registration), plus a signed lease, closing statement or tax bill from the owner plus two items from the following list from owner and two from person residing in the home.
In addition, provide a copy of at least two of the following documents:
• Driver's license
• Gas, electric or telephone bill
• Public Aid card
• Voter registration card
• Home/apartment insurance certificate
• Automobile registration - State of Illinois
• Receipt for city vehicle sticker
Any person asserting legal custody over a student, who is not the student's parent or legal guardian, must complete the Nonparent Custody Form (available at time of registration).
For those students who may qualify for special services in the district, the parents may be referred to our Special Services Department.
The registration process takes about 30 minutes. Parents will fill out entrance materials, and will be given physical examination forms and general school information. More information and some of the registration forms can be found on the website at sd54.org/registration/.
District officials can better plan for kindergarten placements if they get most of the registrations on Feb. 13, so parents are urged to register their children for kindergarten on that date.
For transportation/boundary questions: call (847) 357-5104. For general questions: call (847) 357-5041.
• Send Your news to email@example.com