District 220 chooses among cuts, additions
A list of $546,140 in potential budget cuts and savings based on Barrington Unit District 220's declining enrollment received a tentative nod from school board members this week.
But only $167,722 of $998,663 in potential budget additions won tentative approval from the board. The conversation will continue at the board's Feb. 21 meeting.
The proposed cuts and savings include:
• Reduction of Sunny Hill School's fourth and fifth grades by one classroom each.
• Barrington Middle School's Prairie Campus staff would be reduced by one sixth grade teacher, two seventh grade teachers, 0.2 full-time positions for both seventh-grade Spanish and eighth-grade French and a part-time position for sixth- and seventh-grade vocal music.
• Station Campus' extended science section would be reduced by 0.2 of a full-time position.
• The district also would lose 0.2 of a psychologist position and a boys' gymnastics coaching stipend.
• The district is anticipating saving $135,000 by pre-purchasing electricity and $20,140 by eliminating seven bus routes without any hardship.
The recommended additions to the budget include:
• 1.19 full-time positions in contingency staffing, three co-curricular stipends, additions to the middle school drama stipends and a part-time position for the reading strategies program at Station campus.
• A grade-tracking software package called Mastery Manager costing $30,000.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close