Communities » Fox River Grove Area News
70 years later, POW camp horrors are still freshAs a prisoner of war, Tony Gargano learned that World War II had ended when he woke up in his prison camp to discover the Japanese guards were gone. He'll mark Wednesday's 70th anniversary of the victory over Japan with a trip to the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C.Last Updated Sep 1, 2015 9:54 AM
Fox River Grove plans new public works facilityUpdated Sep 1, 2015 10:05 AM
After years of planning, Fox River Grove officials aim to build a new public works facility next year. Residents can provide input at a Sept. 9 village zoning board meeting where preliminary plans will be unveiled for the proposed 10,000-square-foot facility, to be located at the northeast corner of Lincoln and Hillcrest avenues.
McHenry County genealogy society to meet in Crystal LakeUpdated Sep 1, 2015 8:52 PM
The McHenry County Genealogical Society meets at 7 p.m. Sept. 10 at The Pointe, 5650 Northwest Hwy., Crystal Lake.
Dense fog advisory in place until 9 a.m.Updated Aug 31, 2015 6:42 AM
A dense fog advisory is in place for the Chicago area until 9 a.m.
Cary-Grove defense stands tallUpdated Aug 29, 2015 12:21 AM
Cary-Grove defensive linemen Nick Cruz couldn’t tell you who caused the hit that forced a fumble deep in Trojan territory with 1:15 left in the fourth quarter of the Trojans’ win over Prairie Ridge Friday in Cary. But what he could say on the play besides the fact he fell on the ball to preserve a 21-14 nonconference victory was that even though the Trojans lost 9 full-time starters from their Class 7A runner-up team last season, their defense that posed serious question marks prior to the season opener was alive and well.
Scouting Week 1 in the Fox ValleyUpdated Aug 27, 2015 9:02 PM
Scouting the Fox Valley's Week 1 high school football games
Lake in the Hills kicks off summer festival FridayPosted Sep 1, 2015 2:05 PM
Lake in the Hills will host its 15th annual Summer Sunset Festival this weekend with some new attractions, such as a petting zoo and 5K Fun Run/Walk. But a former festival highlight, the Melon Propellin' contest, will not take place.
Dawn Patrol: Lindenhurst crash probe continues; Cubs end August with a lossUpdated Sep 1, 2015 5:51 AM
Investigation continues into crash that killed father, teen daughter in Lindenhurst. Levee 37 to control Des Plaines River flooding successfully completed. Green Oaks woman with Alzheimer’s reported missing. Barrington Road ramp to close. Lord Stanley’s Cup makes appearance in Elgin. Concerns about refurbished girls softball field at Lake Zurich High. Wheaton North grad ready to go at QB for Northwestern. Cubs end August with a loss. Bears face many roster decisions.
Dawn Patrol: Arrieta no-hits Dodgers; Lindenhurst teen rememberedUpdated Aug 31, 2015 5:58 AM
Arrieta holds Dodgers hitless. Lindenhurst teen remembered for her spirit. American Indian veterans gather at Cantigny. Hitzeman says common sense prevails with 'rape kit' law. Namesake of Mt. Prospect business dies at 87. Sox rally in 11 to beat Mariners.
- 10 stories you might have missed this weekend
- Boys soccer: Streamwood shuts out Lyons
- Suburban Democrats key in Rauner vs. unions battle
- Dawn Patrol: Antioch woman charged in hit-and-run; missing Algonquin dog found after 15 days
Fox River Grove Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Join McHenry County Farm Stroll Sept. 27
- Defenders offer weed wrench rentals
- Green Drinks meeting looks at sustainability
- Trees Downed in 2012 Storm Crafted into Stand for Local Bell
- Veterans invited to boat on the Fox River with local rowing clubs
- Fun on the menu this fall with St. Charles Singles Club
- TMA Board Members Speak at DMDII Smart Manufacturing Panel
- Fox River Grove to show plans for public works facility Sept. 9
- Impact Networking is Great Rated! By Employees for 2-Years in Row
- Learn about sedums, conifers at this year’s Hosta Haven Saturday, Aug. 29
- Children make pine cone bird feeders at the Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) class, hosted by Citizens for Conservation in Barrington. During the first part of the class, the children used binoculars to look for birds and count how many they saw. Their results were tallied and added to a global database as part of the international bird count. Tom Benjamin
- Forest preserve employees hauled used Christmas trees to the Baker's Lake heron rookery using all-terrain vehicles and snowmobiles. Volunteers from Citizens for Conservation and Friends of Deer Grove East were waiting on the island to trim the trees and stand them upright or lay them flat, providing nesting structures for herons, egrets and cormorants. Approximately 80 ? 100 Christmas trees are recycled in this way every year to freshen the rookery. Steve Halm
- The Smart Arts Class at St. Mark's Day School in Barrington Hills celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday with a big celebration. The 4 and 5 year olds learned about the author, read and acted out scenes from an assortment of Seuss books, and dressed in the cat's red and white hat, red bow and whiskers. Dr. Seuss is just one of many well-known authors that the children are introduced to during the year. St. Mark's Day School
- Face N Time takes the stage at the annual Alpine Fest in Lake Zurich. k gerdts
- Artist Kristin Plansky returned to the Fox River Grove Memorial Library to paint a winter-themed Fox River Grove scene to complement the existing summer-themed mural. Jamie Gehin
- Children look for birds as part of the Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC). The GBBC is an annual event at which bird watchers of all ages count birds to get a real-time snapshot of where birds are all over the world. The local event was hosted by Citizens for Conservation in Barrington. Tom Benjamin
- Ned Zerwic and Ya-Ju Wang are our new physical therapy students interning at Cary Physical Therapy. They are in their second year at the University of Illinois Chicago. Brenda Law, Marketing
- U9 Barrington Broncos Travel Team Spring Classic 2013 Champions: front row, James Ensign, TJ Swidorski, Ryan Anderson, Tommy Kondraros, Danny Sheedy; and back row, Justin Mirski, Logan Eisenbarth, Tristan Roney, Peter Maestranzi, and Brady Dern. Caroline Eisenbarth
More Fox River Grove News
- Fox River Grove Sports
- Boys soccer: Streamwood shuts out Lyons
- Cary-Grove defense stands tall
- Scouting Week 1 in the Fox Valley
- Cary-Grove can never be counted out
- Boys golf: Scouting the Fox Valley
- Girls golf: Scouting the Fox Valley
- Fox River Grove Entertainment
- Lake in the Hills kicks off summer festival Friday
- Minister from Woodstock accused of having child porn
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- 42.195674, -88.216567