Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Elgin
Fire damages Elgin business Mar 25, 2015 11:14 AM
A fire early this morning caused an estimated $35,000 in damages to an Elgin business, fire officials said. The Elgin Fire Department responded to a call at about 4:30 a.m. to Azteca Insurance, 50 Kimball St.
DaVinci Academy joins Mooseheart in ‘Pennies for Pins’ Mar 25, 2015 8:24 PM
Mooseheart’s growing relationship with Elgin’s DaVinci Academy moves another step forward Thursday, March 26, when DaVinci staff and students bring a check to Mooseheart staff and students in the Mooseheart gymnasium representing the proceeds from the Feb. 5 “Pennies for Pins” bowling event.
Administer Justice offers free seminar on probate process Mar 25, 2015 6:27 PM
Administer Justice, a local nonprofit providing legal, financial, conflict resolution and educational services to low-income individuals, will offer a free seminar on “The Basics of the Probate Process” on Thursday, April 2.
Elgin cleric pleads not guilty to sexual abuse charges Mar 25, 2015 5:11 PM
Mohammad Abdullah Saleem, a Muslim cleric who founded and once headed the Institute of Islamic Education in Elgin, pleaded not guilty to an eight-count indictment charging him with sexually abusing a 22-year-old employee.
U.S. Appellate Court Judge Wilson to deliver Riley Lecture on Professionalism Mar 24, 2015 3:52 PM
The Northern Illinois University College of Law will host its 22nd annual Francis X. Riley Lecture on Professionalism at 3 p.m. Friday, March 27. The Honorable Charles R. Wilson of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit in Tampa, Florida will present, “That Justice Shall Be Done — Constitutional Requirements, Ethical Rules, and the Professional Ideals of Federal Prosecution.”
Elgin mayor candidates discuss Latino involvement Mar 24, 2015 6:03 PM
Elgin mayoral candidate Joseph Galvan says the city hasn’t done enough to get Latinos involved, but incumbent David Kaptain says many attempts have been made — it’s just a tough thing to accomplish. “The representation on the council is not sufficient,” Galvan said. “There has to be greater outreach to bring people to (serve on) the citizens commissions. We need more Latinos. We represent almost half the community and there aren’t enough there.”
Lt. Gov. keynote speaker at Judson Prayer Breakfast Mar 24, 2015 6:26 PM
Illinois Lt. Gov. Evelyn Sanguinetti will be the keynote speaker at Judson University’s annual Community Prayer Breakfast on May 6. The breakfast will be from 7:30 to 9 a.m. in the Lindner Fitness Center, 1151 N. State St., Elgin. Sanguinetti, who was elected in November 2014, is the 47th lieutenant governor of Illinois and the first Hispanic to be elected to the office. She also is the first female Hispanic lieutenant governor in the United States.
Learn how to ‘echo weave’ at Fine Line Mar 24, 2015 4:23 PM
Fine Line weaving instructor Beth Duncan will offer “Echo Weave, A Starting Point,” on Saturdays, April 4 and 18. “Learning to weave can seem daunting at the start; there is a lot of prep work before the actual weaving begins. As with all things worth learning, take your time and practice," Duncan said.
The Label Printers wins TLMI’s Eugene Singer Award For Management Excellence Mar 24, 2015 5:45 PM
The Label Printers in Aurora has once again won the Tag and Label Manufacturers Institute Inc. Eugene Singer Award for Management Excellence.
Anderson Animal Shelter seeks Spokespet Mar 24, 2015 5:08 PM
Anderson Animal Shelter in South Elgin is searching for a pet to lead its inaugural Pets-a-Palooza Pet Parade and Festival fundraising walk, set for Sept. 20 at LeRoy Oakes Forest Preserve in St. Charles. "We're looking for a very outgoing pet adopted from Anderson, who is friendly to both people and other animals and who loves being in the spotlight," said Holly Alcala, the shelter's director of development.
Fox Valley police reports Mar 24, 2015 5:36 PM
Robert R. Haizlip, 50, of Carpentersville, was charged Sunday with unlawful restraint and eight counts of domestic battery, court records show. His bail was set at $15,000 in Kane County bond court, and he is due in court April 1.
Tri-Cities police reports Mar 24, 2015 5:33 PM
Three men from Texas were arrested at 1:40 a.m. Saturday at Wal-Mart, 801 N. Randall Road, and charged with retail theft, according to a Batavia police report. Horace W. Young Jr., 33, of the 9900 block of Adleta Boulevard in Dallas; Anthony E. Young, 29, of the 8800 block of Hornaday Circle in Fort Worth; and Arie K. Young, 33, of the 6100 block of Avery Drive in Fort Worth, are accused of stealing electronics.
Explore the shared heritage of Islam, Judaism, Christianity Mar 24, 2015 6:16 PM
The First Congregational Church of Huntley will begin a six-week study/discussion group “Exploring Islam, Judaism, Christianity — A Shared Heritage.” It will begin at 1 p.m. Wednesday, April 15. All are invited, at no charge, to study the foundations of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity and their shared heritage.
Palm Sunday Festival Concert set for March 29 Mar 25, 2015 4:10 PM
The 21st annual Palm Sunday Festival Concert will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday, March 29, at St. Catherine of Siena Church in West Dundee. Musicians from many different local churches have come together in Lenten reflection through the sharing of music, song, prayer, and fellowship.
Learn how to avoid costly Social Security filing mistakes Mar 25, 2015 9:07 PM
Learn how to avoid costly Social Security filing mistakes at this free seminar, offered at 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 8, in the fellowship hall of Bethlehem Lutheran Church in West Dundee.
Habitat, Thrivent join in building 13th home Mar 25, 2015 9:20 PM
Habitat for Humanity of Northern Fox Valley will mark an important milestone in the construction of the 13th Northern Fox Valley home sponsored by Thrivent Financial. The community is invited to join in the celebration at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, April 4, at the Carpentersville construction site at 39 Robin Road.
Meet the Elgin woman who went from an engineer to ballet dancer Mar 24, 2015 9:57 AM
Ruffled red skirts swirl in huge circular patterns on the dance floor, creating a feast for the eyes as well as a strong breeze. Every few seconds between the double swirls you can catch a glimpse of the bright eyes and beaming smile of Cynthia G. Hernandez as she dances among her students. The look of genuine joy is unmistakable.
Learn about PADS at Elgin Woman’s Club meeting Mar 23, 2015 8:29 PM
The Elgin Woman’s Club will hold its next meeting on Tuesday, April 7, at 11:30 a.m. with a luncheon and program at Villa Olivia Country Club in Bartlett. The program will feature a presentation by PADS of Elgin.
HCE, U of I Extension present ‘Eating Well as You Age’ Mar 23, 2015 7:57 PM
Eating well does not mean dieting. It is part of a healthy lifestyle, and may be best achieved in small steps. However, as we age, our nutritional needs change and we should focus on nutrient dense choices. “Eating Well as You Age” is a University of Illinois Extension educational program designed to help participants explore the benefits of healthy eating habits at any age.
Images: See our best staff photos from the past week. Mar 23, 2015 10:15 AM
This edition of The Week in Pictures features Daily Herald staff photos of St. Baldrick's events, St. Patrick's events, and saintly weather events.
- Change in constitution is only permanent solution to pension crisis
- Trash bin fire causes smoke damage at Mundelein Goodwill
- Man charged with concealing luxury cars during bankruptcy
- Facebook's 'On This Day' seeks to fix problem social media created
- Watchdog group questions more COD contracts
- Baseball scoreboard: Thursday's results
- Duckworth to announce Senate bid Monday
- PM&L Theatre plans expansion in downtown Antioch
- Starved horses expose loophole in Indiana's neglect law
- Tyrell's towering blast helps Antioch soar
- Kuma's Corner coming to Schaumburg in July
- Tollway sets higher speed limits, bucks state law
- Snow leads to slick roads, accidents in the suburbs
- Budget fix averts shutdowns but cuts schools
- Why man is still paying for a 2004 speeding ticket
- Aurora cousins accused of plotting to bring 'flames of war' to suburbs
- Police: Huntley man killed his wife
- Schaumburg donor drive seeks match for nurse
- Volo woman charged after bank robbery in Grayslake
- Obama talks drug war with 'The Wire' creator David Simon
- Change in constitution is only permanent solution to pension crisis
- Batavia, Kaneland, Geneva school candidates' views on campaign contributions
- Kuma's Corner may come to Schaumburg this summer
- Fox Lake fire district seeks tax increase April 7
- College of DuPage faculty: Endorsed candidates will bring integrity to board
- Mediocre foes bring out the worst in the Hawks
- Judson kicks off new inspirational world leaders series this fall
- Daughtry taking center stage at Naperville's Last Fling
- Watchdog group questions more COD contracts
- Signing Ball gives Bears depth at cornerback
- WAREHOUSE PT - Warehouse PT, no exp. nec., up to 30 hrs/wk, morning & afternoon shifts available. Start at $10/hr. Apply at 6450 Muirfield Ct, Hanover Pk, IL 630-671-0100 (id:4401971) CUSTOMER SERVICE - PART TIME SEASONAL - Job Description: Manufacturing company is seeking a Customer Service Representative. The position is part-time seasonal with potential to be re-hired. The hours include Monday-Friday 10am-3pm. Duties Include: Answers and addresses incoming calls regarding product and service questions. Processes customer orders for existing and new customers. Recommends potential customers to distributors by analyzing customer needs. Skills and Qualifications: Experience in Customer Service. Proficient with phone skills, resolving conflict and analyzing information. Solid multi-tasking and listening skills. Quickbooks-Office experience preferred Must qualify on E-verify. Spanish or Greek speaking is a plus. Send resumes to: LE@OPTIMALAUTOMATICS.COM (id:4400513) CLEANING - CARPET CLEANING Water Damage Tech. Must have DL & speak Eng. $12 -15 to start + bonus potential. McMaid Rolling Meadows 847-991-2383 (id:4402039)
- BILINGUAL THERAPIST - Bilingual Spanish Therapist, Elgin and Aurora -Masters with LCSW-LCPC. M-F, 35 hrs. + benefits. Apply: email@example.com. (id:4401929) BINDERY OPERATOR - Arlington Heights manufacturer is looking for a full time second shift bindery operator. Should have experience using guillotine cutters, collators, and stitchers. Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4402022) INSIDE SALES - Entry Level Inside Sales Looking for mechanically inclined individuals interested in working for a supplier to the automotive, heavy truck, agricultural, and associated industries. Will train. Opportunity for someone without a lot of experience but with a strong desire for future growth. $15-$18/Hr, Mthly Bonus, Benefits. AFI Industries, Inc. 630-871-7815 e-mail: email@example.com (id:4401298)
- RESTAURANT - Restaurant -Garibaldi's Restaurant in Arlington Hts., or Hoffman Estates, FT & PT positions available: counter help, pizza makers, delivery drivers, grill cooks. Call between 9a & 11a or 2p-4p. 847-577-4000 (id:4401439) CUSTOMER SERVICE - RN'S-FREE UP YOUR WEEKENDS! HINES & ASSOCIATES, INC. Due to large growth, we are offering FT Case Mgmt & Utilization Review Positions In our Elgin & St. Charles locations NO NIGHTS, HOLIDAYS OR WEEKENDS! Must be an RN w/ Min. 3 yrs hospital exp or HHC exp Rehab exp a plus! Fax resume to: 847-741-1728 Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Or call 877-429-7345 X 3426 with questions (id:4402637) DRIVER - MDC Environmental Services is currently hiring for driving positions. Applicants must be a Class-B CDL driver with air brake en-dorsement. Drivers are responsible for collection and hand loading of residential waste, as well as the transporting of this waste by front or rear load truck. This position will be extensive near-continuous physical exertion. We offer full benefit package that includes medical, dental, 401(k). Previous experience a plus. You must fill out an application and return to the Human Resources department at 5450 Wansford Way, Suite 201, Rockford, IL 61109 or email to email@example.com. Equal Opportunity Employer. Please locate our applications on: http://www.rresvcs.com/careers/employment-application EOE (id:4401910)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.